Dogs and avocados

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There seems to be varying opinions on the internet that avocados are poisonous to dogs.  I have an avocado tree in my garden and a young dog that has just started eating the windfalls on the ground.

So far it doesn't seem to have affected him, but I'm concerned that in the long term, it might be causing damage.

Any opinions?

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There seems to be varying opinions on the internet that avocados are poisonous to dogs.  I have an avocado tree in my garden and a young dog that has just stared eating the windfalls on the ground.

So far it doesn't seem to have affected him, but I'm concerned that in the long term, it might be causing damage.

Any opinions?

he is eating valuable merchandise. an avocado was 78 pesos in Jose Luis this morning..

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Mine eat them all the time (free off the tree not paying RD$78 pesos dios mio) - no issues. Don't worry.

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Same my dogs feast on avocados, have done for some years, no apparent problems.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mine have been eating avocado fallen from the tree for years. they love 'em too: place avocado between the paws, carefully peel the skin and eat the "meat". they are perfectly healthy. albeit a bit fat.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There seems to be varying opinions on the internet that avocados are poisonous to dogs.  I have an avocado tree in my garden and a young dog that has just started eating the windfalls on the ground.

Any opinions?

Read the book" Marley and Me". The dog eats them all the time. It does nothing good for his poops.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
OMG, 78 pesos for one avocado. Even if it's a green giant that's a New York City price.

Jan 7, 2016
There is an international avocado shortage at this time. Mexico and California have decreased fruit production for some reason. They are very expensive in the U.S. now, too. (very small, too)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Time to move chaps

script>

Last edited:

Weasel

May 22, 2007
Avocados are not poisonous for dogs and cats. They contain a substance called persin which is a toxin for many birds and cattle.

The most dangerous part of eating avocados for dogs is that they can ingest the pit which can lead to choking and/or obstruction of the intestine.
That said I would not let my dog eat avocados unchecked as they are rather fat and that could lead to pancreatitis. Also in larger quantity, you might expect some indigestion (vomiting and/or diarrhea or constipation). Your dog will also not eat their food and in a young animal that could lead to malnutrition.

Lastly, any fruits that are falling off the tree should be removed. There is a good chance that rats have been eating them, that can be on the tree or on the ground. Rats will pee on their uneaten leftovers and that can lead to your dog being infected with leptospirosis.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My dog collects the green hard avocados and brings them up to the house.  When they turn ripe he eats them a few days later.