help with door slamming issue

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Where we live there is a tremendous breeze in the afternoons. Wife's Dominican relatives are here for a while. I know that there is no chance I will ever get them to close the doors. I even tried but soon realized it was not going to work. I am not going to become the door police but the constant banging is really annoying. Is there a solution to door slamming that does not involve something complicated like hydraulic door closer mechanisms? The doors are metal. I know we must have a door expert or two.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not to oversimplify...... a key?

Lock a few doors, leave access to the ones you want - out of the breeze.

A bit overpowering but , what the heck ????
they understand the direct approach...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A trick that everyone abhors
In little girls is slamming doors.
A wealthy banker’s little daughter
Who lived in Palace Green, Bayswater
(By name Rebecca Offendort),
Was given to this furious sport.

She would deliberately go
And slam the door like billy-o!
To make her Uncle Jacob start.
She was not really bad at heart,
But only rather rude and wild;
She was an aggravating child…

It happened that a marble bust
Of Abraham was standing just
Above the door this little lamb
Had carefully prepared to slam,
And down it came! It knocked her flat!
It laid her out! She looked like that.

Her funeral sermon (which was long
And followed by a sacred song)
Mentioned her virtues, it is true,
But dwelt upon her vices too,
And showed the dreadful end of one
Who goes and slams the door for fun.

The children who were brought to hear
The awful tale from far and near
Were much impressed, and inly swore
They never more would slam the door,
— As often they had done before.

--Hillaire Belloc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Absolutely hilarious.... how did you ever dig that up in Poland ???

Many (if not all) little girls seem to slam doors -- as I recall from my parenting days

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Easiest would be Self Closing Hinges. You just replace the existing hinges with one or two of those. All you need is the size/shape and they screw right into the exact same spot. You don't even need to take off the door, just one hinge at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...941120011http://www.gtdoorsandlocks.com/1689/

http://www.gtdoorsandlocks.com/1678/?gclid=CJfeqpvTldQCFRxWDQodLY8N9A
Thanks. Like that idea. I was thinking of an elastic band. These Dominicans are unaware of any doors slamming. You would think that's impossible. It's really loud. With time the doors will be screwed up and these people long gone.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Where we live there is a tremendous breeze in the afternoons. Wife's Dominican relatives are here for a while. I know that there is no chance I will ever get them to close the doors. I even tried but soon realized it was not going to work. I am not going to become the door police but the constant banging is really annoying. Is there a solution to door slamming that does not involve something complicated like hydraulic door closer mechanisms? The doors are metal. I know we must have a door expert or two.

Put their best shoes between the door... That will do

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just use the cheapest and simple solution of the rubber door stop, either the loose ones (probably 50 pesos each or the ones you screw on the door.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks. Knew you guys could help. I thought of the rubber triangle doorstops also but they require conscious thought. Would not work. In the mean time I explained that the next door that slams I am pulling the pins out and there will be no door to carelessly leave open in the wind.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had that problem with the door that goes out to the back yard from our enclosed back room. Drove me nuts. Cheap fix worked......he hooked a bungee cord to the door and the frame. Both open metal, wouldn't work with wood. This is the door in its perpetual opened position before.  You can ignore the partially built tool shed, the just erected wall and Mr AE. All complete and nicely painted now.  

IMG_0424.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
now that you mention it....
when I put a screen door on the kitchen I bought one of those old fashioned spring things ($5) to keep it shut.

Works like a dream... we have them on all doors at the lake house ... never wear out, always work

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks. Knew you guys could help. I thought of the rubber triangle doorstops also but they require conscious thought. Would not work. In the mean time I explained that the next door that slams I am pulling the pins out and there will be no door to carelessly leave open in the wind.

We use door stops at the school for the same reason, more or less, wind and need for the door to stay open.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I love door stops. But they take a door stop operator and that I do not have. I am the only person in the whole house who has heard the continously slamming. The metal doors sound like a pistol shot and they cannot hear it. Wife says I am a complainer. We just spent a bundle on all new metal doors after the termites. Tried to explain how the door and door frame will be destroyed. Guess it's too far into the future to enter her consciousness.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I solved my problem with the doors being left open by putting alarms on them.
They beep when the door opens and continue until closed.

After a year I tried an experiment, I turned off the alarm.
Sure enough, they left the doors open.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I solved my problem with the doors being left open by putting alarms on them.
They beep when the door opens and continue until closed.

After a year I tried an experiment, I turned off the alarm.
Sure enough, they left the doors open.

I'm surprised that worked! I have been in the car with several people that don't put on their safety belt and just completely ignore the continuous alarm that sounds. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I love door stops. But they take a door stop operator and that I do not have. I am the only person in the whole house who has heard the continously slamming. The metal doors sound like a pistol shot and they cannot hear it. Wife says I am a complainer. We just spent a bundle on all new metal doors after the termites. Tried to explain how the door and door frame will be destroyed. Guess it's too far into the future to enter her consciousness.

try to figure the problem out without resorting to educating anybody about how annoying it is. i live in an apartment building with two grown men, each in their mid 50s. they will go out at night and come in at 4am, and when they slam the steel security gates it can be heard in Barahona. management has asked them to be a little more considerate, but you apparently cannot teach 50 year old dogs new tricks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry zoom, I misread your post.  In our case no one ever closed the door, so the wind would slam it open and close, which is why we added the bungee.