Opening a bank account ... this is another good one

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
first went to Scotiabank need to give my first born to open the account .next the famous bank popular they just needed a few fingers to open this one open .. then went to Bankresever all I need was a passport I got accounts in dollars and pesos. I was out of the bank in 30 minutes this island is wacky but i love it.. it's like what behind door number two Bob from let's make a deal... btw Punta Cana Village is very nice almost to real..

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My bank experience was not the best and I ended up closing the accounts. The banks charged me for everything. If I used the account more than a certain few times per month it was extra. If I did not use the account there was an extra charge. They were uncooperative if I needed anything out of the usual. Even opening the accounts they were suspicious about source of funds and wanted proof. My source of funds was a US bank. Hated even going into the place. Tellers were unfriendly and acted like they never saw me before. When I closed accounts they suddenly changed the tone and questioned why I was going. I laughed. DR banks are a service institution in the same way a cow is serviced in the agricultural sense. You are the cow.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Think it must be a matter of luck.....my principal branch of Popular treats me like a king.....remember my name fills out the appropriate forms without any input from myself.

My bank experience was not the best and I ended up closing the accounts. The banks charged me for everything. If I used the account more than a certain few times per month it was extra. If I did not use the account there was an extra charge. They were uncooperative if I needed anything out of the usual. Even opening the accounts they were suspicious about source of funds and wanted proof. My source of funds was a US bank. Hated even going into the place. Tellers were unfriendly and acted like they never saw me before. When I closed accounts they suddenly changed the tone and questioned why I was going. I laughed. DR banks are a service institution in the same way a cow is serviced in the agricultural sense. You are the cow.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
first went to Scotiabank need to give my first born to open the account .next the famous bank popular they just needed a few fingers to open this one open .. then went to Bankresever all I need was a passport I got accounts in dollars and pesos. I was out of the bank in 30 minutes this island is wacky but i love it.. it's like what behind door number two Bob from let's make a deal... btw Punta Cana Village is very nice almost to real..

Gracias for this testimonial. I opened an account in Ban Reserves 6 years ago next month while new in the DR. It was that easy for me too, we have seen so many threads people crying about how hard it is to open account in the DR, but not for me twasn't.
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've banked with BHD for forever.  Opened the account in Santo Domingo at a branch that doesn't exist anymore.  We mostly use the branch in La Sirena in San Cristobal.  Never a complaint or problem. When we flew down in January, we went straight to the store to shop for food, didn't go to the bank as had a lot of pesos left over from prior trip.  We were at the checkout, and the bank guard who stands outside the bank saw us.  He came all the way down about 5 checkouts to greet my husband.  We were surprised, as we hadn't been there in 8 months.  

I'd recommend them to anyone.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I was at Scotia and Popular. Finally changed it all to my wife's name in new account at Popular. After about a year she got fed up with all the little charges. Getting along fine with only US banks. I am not much of a bank person in general. In the US they masquerade as "your friendly local bank" then rob you at every opportunity. We do belong to a US credit union which is much better. My one US account is no charges which I like. Other nice bit is check deposits using cell phone, instant balance check and email upon debits above your pre set limit. It's really instantaneous.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've banked at BHD for 11 years now. Never paid any extra fees and everyone in the Cabarete branch has always been very helpful and friendly.

Sep 4, 2012
We've banked with BHD for forever.  Opened the account in Santo Domingo at a branch that doesn't exist anymore.  We mostly use the branch in La Sirena in San Cristobal.  Never a complaint or problem. When we flew down in January, we went straight to the store to shop for food, didn't go to the bank as had a lot of pesos left over from prior trip.  We were at the checkout, and the bank guard who stands outside the bank saw us.  He came all the way down about 5 checkouts to greet my husband.  We were surprised, as we hadn't been there in 8 months.  

I'd recommend them to anyone.

Problem isn't necessary the bank or the branches but the employees and managers of certain branches. I've good, bad, and great encounters with BHD in SDQ and across the country.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....was at Popular bank 2 days ago....a girl fren, brought everthing they told her to on the phone ,after over 1 hour it was her turn, she gave the person all info they asked for, then she was told she needed more paperwork, was a change yesterday.....left in a hurry......stopped at Bankreserves on way home.. she opened a new account in about 10 minutes,with her cedula.....go figure.....