NGO out of Control?

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
What is the meaning of this agency inporting cloths for the needy in Haiti by way of DR where the cloths are knowingly being returned and used to distroy the already faltering economy?

This gives a bad name to all non-governmental organizations like Red Cross and church mission organizations.

Who stands to be making money here?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I used to love to check out the pulgas (flea markets) in and around Puerto Plata and would regularly buy used clothing from the pulgas ambulantes as well (chopa!). I never gave much thought to where these clothes came from and felt *weird* upon finding out that these goods were originally donated to American charities to be distributed to poor Haitians. It didn't feel right to be paying money for goods that were never intended to be sold for profit...But upon further reflection, and upon seeing how many Dominicans run these types of negocitos, I think that initial reaction of mine was just plain naive.

After searching through the piles and piles of clothes I often found real "gems"; brand names such as Anne Klein, Donna Karan, Gap, etc. What good are upscale, expensive, fashionable clothes to people who are in greater need of food, water and money? Even Americans' cast-off clothing is too upscale for people in such dire need.

If you look at it this way you will see that it's a win-win-win situation:

• The intended recipient of the charity makes money on the charity item in order to obtain things that are *really* needed.
  • The Dominican entrepreneur is able to run a small, but profitable trade on the items, which is probably her/his only source of income.
  • The average person is able to buy quality clothing at an affordable price.
Win. Win. Win.

Last edited:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What about the Haitians?

You forgot to mention the Haitian businesspeople and the miliary in Haiti who warehouse and distribute the clothing.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So as i said before....who makes the money???

Those that already have more than enough and the poor keep getting poorer!