The age of Marriage in DR now 18

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Did you really think all those young girls are legally married to their "esposo"?  I don't see this law changing much 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
In the DR , if you are LIVING with Someone ,and sharing the same bed.. That is your Esposo/ Esposa
Come on, everyone knows that ..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How does one appear married......trying to wrap my head around that one....lol

It is so easy.

Cohabitation while everyone refers to them as married.

Hard to believe it is so common in a supposedly so, um, can't mention the word, country, Eh?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is a legal state without a marriage certificate. Officially called union libre.

And what are the responsibilities of either party to each other, if there are no children involved, should such "legal" state change to a free un-union?

And to keep in line with the OP: What happens if a free union happens between a male and a female under 18 from this point forward?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And what are the responsibilities of either party to each other, if there are no children involved, should such "legal" state change to a free un-union?

And to keep in line with the OP: What happens if a free union happens between a male and a female under 18 from this point forward?

Same as common law in the USA or Canada.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't really understand this measure. it's not going to affect anyone since so many relationships are not registered and not legalized anyways. this recent article in el caribe states that 89% of all children born in DR in 2015 were those of single mothers:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/05/18/89-ninos-nacidos-2015-son-hijos-madres-solteras
10.7% of the mothers were under 15 years of age and 16.6% were between 15 and 19. i don't see how this new law will change that.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sometimes I feel New Jersey is part of the Dom Republic , or somehow secretly connected in some Political way.
1)- We have a CHILD SUPPORT Agreement with the DR.. you cant hide in NJ, if you owe Child Support in the DR..

2)- and just Recently they introduced EXACTLY the same type of Bill , to make the age of Marriage 18.. just months ago in fact .. We would be the FIRST in the whole Nation in fact
" .N.J. could be first to outlaw marriage under 18"

http://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ould-first-outlaw-marriage-under-18/94338520/

here is the " reasoning"
I wonder if its the same Concept ???

" In the past couple decades, several thousand people have taken advantage of New Jersey's marriage laws to tie the knot before they turned 18. Those under 18 have needed permission from their parents to do so, while anyone 15 or younger has required the prior approval of a Superior Court judge.

Although the frequency of such unions recently dropped to a 20-year low, many lawmakers and activists now want to ban them altogether. New Jersey, they say, should become a national leader in reforming a system that exposes young people to forced or arranged marriages and often sets them up for a life of low educational achievement, poverty and abuse.

“There is a concern that children, through arranged marriages or otherwise, are being forced into an environment that may not be in their best interest,” said Reed Gusciora, D-Mercer. “Just to simply look the other way when children are getting married serves no public purpose.”

Not trying to go off topic, I just find this an amazing Coincidence though..

" Forced Marriages under 18"?? is there really such a thing going in in the DR ?/