The Ugly Story Behind a Breakfast Meat - BBC Travel

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Very interesting! I've researched and written a series of articles about other influences on Dominican food (Middle Eastern, Chinese, African, etc.) and have often wondered whether the Jewish community in Sosua had any impact on local culinary customs. I knew about Productos Sosua but did not realise that they were the first to introduce salami into the national diet.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Really interesting article! Thanks for the share.

Off topic but there have been some really interesting articles on the BBC World Travel section of recent including foodie stuff and I've PM ed some of the interesting articles and videos. A surprise to see this article today, well written and informative as always with the BBC in their magazine and topical sections.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I sent the Beeb some feedback on the article because the photo is of longaniza, a sausage of Spanish origin, not salami. I also asked how the author established that Productos Sosua really were the first to introduce salami to the country.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I sent the Beeb some feedback on the article because the photo is of longaniza, a sausage of Spanish origin, not salami. I also asked how the author established that Productos Sosua really were the first to introduce salami to the country.

Let's hope they respond and you can help them with other articles about foreign influences on Dominican food.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
On the whole, it reads as if she knows what she was talking about and the research seems solid, although it would have been good to have a more convincing explanation for the "Jews introduced salami" theory.

Odds are she was not responsible for selecting the agency photos or the title of the article. Trujillo's alleged motives and the notwithstanding, why call it an "ugly" story?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Odds are she was not responsible for selecting the agency photos or the title of the article. Trujillo's alleged motives and the notwithstanding, why call it an "ugly" story?

It was probably a hook to get people to read it. The rascism of the 30's was definitely an ugly scene, but good is patient and inevitably triumphs. I have no problems finding German communities throughout Latin America. It's one of the 3 languages I speak, so it's comforting to find them.

They'd have no problem finding a colmado with salami hanging by hook in sweltering heat. Although modern plastic casing wouldn't correspond with what is a period piece. It could be a deliberate mistake.

It's a stable in my house, but the smell of it frying drives me outdoors.

Re: BBC - It's a wonderful source of information and I love the magazine articles (with the occasional idiotic article on the origins of SEDA/AIDs thrown in to prove that they are not in infallible). I wish I could signup for a subscription to get rid of the ads, but ad-blocker does an admirable job.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It was probably a hook to get people to read it. The rascism of the 30's was definitely an ugly scene, but good is patient and inevitably triumphs. I have no problems finding German communities throughout Latin America. It's one of the 3 languages I speak, so it's comforting to find them.

They'd have no problem finding a colmado with salami hanging by hook in sweltering heat. Although modern plastic casing wouldn't correspond with what is a period piece. It could be a deliberate mistake.

It's a stable in my house, but the smell of it frying drives me outdoors.

Re: BBC - It's a wonderful source of information and I love the magazine articles (with the occasional idiotic article on the origins of SEDA/AIDs thrown in to prove that they are not in infallible). I wish I could signup for a subscription to get rid of the ads, but ad-blocker does an admirable job.

on the subject of ad blocker, sadly there is content you cannot access with ad blocker engaged..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The author is on Twitter @PhilippaBiddle

She says she did not select the photos.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The author is on Twitter @PhilippaBiddle

She says she did not select the photos.

THat sounds right. I have seen some strange photos attached to articles that weren't anything the writer would have put there.
Der Fish

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The really ugly story would have been told if she described how they make Dominican Salami.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The really ugly story would have been told if she described how they make Dominican Salami.

1z3o5s1.jpg

Last edited: