7.5% Growth in Number of Tourist Arrivals During First Quarter of 2017

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
During the January-April months, approximately 2,223,126 tourists visited the Dominican Republic.

Only in the month of April, that number registered an extraordinary 16.8% jump. A total of 495,000 tourists entered the country, 71,000 more than during the same month in 2016.

Last year the number of Canadian citizens dropped by 8%, but this year the numbers bounced back registering a positive 16.5% growth. Total growth for the quarter for Canadian citizens came in at 9%.

In April 2016, visitors from the United States registered an additional 4.8% while this year the numbers came in at 8.2%. These percentages represent a growth of more than 40%. During January-April, Canada and the United States contributed 60% of all tourists visiting the Dominican Republic.

Europe also registered positive numbers between January and April, except for Italy.

The following countries experienced growth: Germany (1%); Spain (6%); France, (5%); England (12%) and Russia (226%), which went from 24,000 visitors to 80,000.

Punta Cana’s international airport registered 1.2 million visitors (66.2% of all tourists), an 8.5% growth from the same time period in 2016.

Puerto Plata, the most important destination in the country’s north coast, once again registered a 13.3% growth in the number of tourist arrivals, the highest jump for one specific region.

La Romana, on the country’s eastern region, reported a 5.9% growth.

Source: Access DR

June 3, 2017

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Last year I flew out of POP and we were like 3 locals at the airport. Seriously, where do Puerto Plata locals fly out of?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Last year I flew out of POP and we were like 3 locals at the airport. Seriously, where do Puerto Plata locals fly out of?

Usually, Santiago.

It is only in the last year or so that I have been able to find flights with similar pricing to POP and STI. Usually, STI is significantly cheaper - cheaper enough that

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Dominican Business 101- When customers decrease- increase prices to compensate.

I believe the Tourism stats as much as the results from the Odenbreck scandal

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I believe the Tourism stats as much as the results from the Odenbreck scandal[/QUOTE

Agreed. This tourist season was the slowest I have seen in Cabarete. There were so few tourists the year before, that even a 10% increase would not be a large number of people. All 10 of those people must have stayed at AI's in POP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

I believe the Tourism stats as much as the results from the Odenbreck scandal[/QUOTE

Agreed. This tourist season was the slowest I have seen in Cabarete. There were so few tourists the year before, that even a 10% increase would not be a large number of people. All 10 of those people must have stayed at AI's in POP.

glad you made that observation. when the base year number is small, even a small numerical increase can register a large percentage number.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Not in the resorts anymore, but providing services...having a hard time believing the Canadian numbers. I live just west of the airport and the number of Canadian flights was definitely down from previous years. Even my PC junkies whom are here a few times a year have cut back. Many have chosen Cuba this year as a cheaper alternative. Russians have indeed saturated the market and a ton more flights from South America.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not in the resorts anymore, but providing services...having a hard time believing the Canadian numbers. I live just west of the airport and the number of Canadian flights was definitely down from previous years. Even my PC junkies whom are here a few times a year have cut back. Many have chosen Cuba this year as a cheaper alternative. Russians have indeed saturated the market and a ton more flights from South America.

if Russians have saturated the market, then increased percentage of Russians does not translate to increased revenue, because they are notoriously parsimonious in their expenditures..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Usually, Santiago.

It is only in the last year or so that I have been able to find flights with similar pricing to POP and STI. Usually, STI is significantly cheaper - cheaper enough that

Last time I flew to the US I went via Santo Domingo. It was a painful trip and probably not worth the overall savings, but we did have people to visit in Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo airport was amazingly dead.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Last time I flew to the US I went via Santo Domingo. It was a painful trip and probably not worth the overall savings, but we did have people to visit in Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo airport was amazingly dead.

I flew out of Santo Domingo in March of 2016. My oldest brother had just died and I was enroute to the funeral. American had a nonstop flight to Philadelphia, where my brother lived. So, I took Metro to SD and then went to the airport and took the flight. It was difficult, but I cannot measure what part was because I was numb about the death and what part was simply a hard trip.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
if Russians have saturated the market, then increased percentage of Russians does not translate to increased revenue, because they are notoriously parsimonious in their expenditures..

....my thoughts also... they are quite sensitive to their monetary position......