Conjunctivitis Pink eye

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
There seems to be an out break of this going around here in the Capital.
Nearly everyone I'ved talked to lately has it or someone in their family has.

I'm not shaking hands for while.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013

We have a school with 650 kids. Yes it is certainly going around

Drak

Jul 7, 2015

It is reportedly 'island-wide', and transmittable in the air.

So stay clear of those coughs and sneezes too.

A medical official stated not to use drops and to let it run its course; but everyone I've seen has taken drops right away, and it was clearing up very soon after...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....there are two types, bacteria.. and virus.... the drops only work on bacteria........

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
that means save your money...

Well save your money on antibiotic eye drops but you could try the cure Haitians told me. Mix brown sugar with lime and salt and put in eyes. Works every time so they told me.

mat

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Well save your money on antibiotic eye drops but you could try the cure Haitians told me. Mix brown sugar with lime and salt and put in eyes. Works every time so they told me.

mat

If you don't have any of that stuff just get some dry beach sand and rub vigorously into the eye. :lick:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

mat

Don't forget the vinegar!!

Oh and, it's "mundial" Anyway that's what my neighbour said yesterday. That means the GH pa ya...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Now me I like this idea

The most common suggested “medicinal” use of breastmilk is to treat children's eye infections. ... For bacteria caused pink eye, evidence shows that mother's milk is unlikely to be effective against the bacteria that cause this infection.

sounds much better than vinegar or sand

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think having a pair of tits shoved in your face may have more of a placebo effect. but the idea does not sound bad.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Surprised so many did not know about the epidemic. I found out when I got it. You can get it by just standing next to someone that has it. If someone in the family got it then you are next. I used the anti biotic drops and it was improved the next day. Gone in a couple of more. A friend gave me the drops after he treated his own eyes. Gives you an idea of how a highly contagious disease like influenza can kill people so quickly.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Bet it's not viral and merely people with dirty fingers (bacteria) rubbing their eyes repeatedly due to the sand in the air from Africa.

I tend to agree. Because of the sand, more people are rubbing their eyes. Wash hands often.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I tend to agree. Because of the sand, more people are rubbing their eyes. Wash hands often.

I would tend not to agree.

A sobrina of ours gave birth a couple of months ago. She ended up with conjunctivitis recently.
She seeked immediate medical advice, as one would with a new born, and the first one at that ( yes, yes even in the dr :) and even in my neck of the woods ;) ).
 The doc at the clinic bourgi-something or other ( just up the road from a jose louis in POP ) told her to have the least contact possible with the child, and not just physical contact. In the doc's words it would be for the best if someone w/o conjunctivitis could look after the kid for a few days.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I would tend not to agree.

A sobrina of ours gave birth a couple of months ago. She ended up with conjunctivitis recently.
She seeked immediate medical advice, as one would with a new born, and the first one at that ( yes, yes even in the dr :) and even in my neck of the woods ;) ).
 The doc at the clinic bourgi-something or other ( just up the road from a jose louis in POP ) told her to have the least contact possible with the child, and not just physical contact. In the doc's words it would be for the best if someone w/o conjunctivitis could look after the kid for a few days.

Well let's see what happens-I went through a office for an ear infection about 3-4 times over the last 3 weeks and there were tons of cases of pink eye as the office was shared with an eye doctor-It was funny seeing all the people wearing their sunglasses in the office, but i guess I will see if it is air born contagious or not-so far nothing. The doctor I met with at the hospital agreed with my theory that it is due to the sand in the air from Africa and people rubbing their eyes with dirty bacteria present fingers and/or tissue-napkins. Also, respiratory problems have been on the rise due to the enormous amounts of sand.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

mat
So sort of a margarita without the tequila. :classic:

My mother used to have me rinse my eyes with salt water when I had pink eye as a kid. I'd try the Haitian method