Tinted car windows.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As seen in the dr1 news section today : AMET cannot issue fines for tinted windows.

Is this retroactive ??
Case :  I have been stopped on a couple of occasions because of fully darkened windows, windshield included ( dark as in you can hardly see from the outside to the inside ). 
On all but one occasion, 100 pesos or so got me sent on my way with profusions of " vaya con dios ! " "dios te le multipliquera" etc.....
On the one occasion the AMET guy was a real a.sshole, so I didnt give him jack. I was eventully sent on my way, but the fine appears on the internet AMET thingy for pending fines. Its been there for years, mind you. In the meantime I got a dr DL, and have been in and out of the dr dozens of times, have renewed/done residency a few times...... w/o a problem.

So is it a case of " AMET did not have the right to issue those fines "  or is it " from now on AMET cannot issue those fines "  ??

Sep 4, 2012
My believe is that it applies from now on as this isn't contemplated within the current laws thus AMET do not have a leg to stand on for this issue just yet.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I believe that the front window is not included in the new law. They can stop you for heavy tint on the windshield.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've been in in cars that made me feel like we were driving using the braille system...go until you feel the bump.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
I once rented a car that was heavily window tinted. It previously had been rented to some politico during some campaign. It was the only one available. I must say that in the night I found it very difficult to drive around.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
And maybe the reason for all those idiots to drive around with permanent high beam on....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i believe the high tint other than (I am tigre cool) is so the ladrons that drive up on you are unaware if you are a weaker female or a big boy with a 9mm pointed at you.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
i believe the high tint other than (I am tigre cool) is so the ladrons that drive up on you are unaware if you are a weaker female or a big boy with a 9mm pointed at you.

What ever the excuse it is illegal and should be. Cannot see the dogs or potholes in the road to say nothing of the kids and cows. The police should confiscate the car and not release it until the windows are cleaned off.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What ever the excuse it is illegal and should be. Cannot see the dogs or potholes in the road to say nothing of the kids and cows. The police should confiscate the car and not release it until the windows are cleaned off.

Or the motos with no lights. BAM>..

I agree Derfish.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Or the motos with no lights. BAM>..

I agree Derfish.

Between POP and Sosua I was driving one fine night just past Gran Parada I went around a curve and a pair of trucks were heading at me side by side. I jerked to the right and ran into a moto without lights.He, like a webelo wabbled, but he didn't fall down. I followed and flagged him down. I gave him 1000 pesos and told him to buy lights or a coffin whichever he thought more appropriate, but i didn't choose to participate in his suicide.
Der Fish

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think the tint strips at the top of the front windshield are illegal. All the publicos have them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Considering all politicians (and wanna be important people) have tint on their windows, I understand why AMET won't be stopping vehicles for tinted windows.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Tint reduces the uv rays, heat and the brightness of the tropical sun significantly. Reducing your exposure to the sun will slow down the time until you end up with skin cancer. Not seeing the grinning gringo behind the wheel is another plus. I love tinted windows. Only one AMET written warning so far. There is tinted and there is blacked out. Blacked out is not so great. With tint and eyeball burning headlights you see just fine at night. You almost need the illegal lights to keep the other idiots with the super brights from blinding you. Vast majority of other drivers will lower lights once they see yours. If they do not its a warning of just how dangerous a person is that fool coming at you. Super bright lights are great but would be even greater if I was the only person that had them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Tint reduces the uv rays, heat and the brightness of the tropical sun significantly. Reducing your exposure to the sun will slow down the time until you end up with skin cancer. Not seeing the grinning gringo behind the wheel is another plus. I love tinted windows. Only one AMET written warning so far. There is tinted and there is blacked out. Blacked out is not so great. With tint and eyeball burning headlights you see just fine at night. You almost need the illegal lights to keep the other idiots with the super brights from blinding you. Vast majority of other drivers will lower lights once they see yours. If they do not its a warning of just how dangerous a person is that fool coming at you. Super bright lights are great but would be even greater if I was the only person that had them.

Yep. I have a LED light or two (or 5) reserved for those folks. I figure if they like those lights so much, why not show them mine?

I've got LED headlights, LED driving lights, and my special "Don't you love em?" light bar on the roof.

The driving lights and the light bar are wired into my brights, so they definitely make an impression on the imbeciles.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ch..._ce7162aa813b1b838ea06eed1e42d594e0b86d43.jpg

Definitely needed for all the trucks with a bazillion lights coming out of Haina every morning.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Yep. I have a LED light or two (or 5) reserved for those folks. I figure if they like those lights so much, why not show them mine?

I've got LED headlights, LED driving lights, and my special "Don't you love em?" light bar on the roof.

The driving lights and the light bar are wired into my brights, so they definitely make an impression on the imbeciles.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ch..._ce7162aa813b1b838ea06eed1e42d594e0b86d43.jpg

Definitely needed for all the trucks with a bazillion lights coming out of Haina every morning.

How often do you find an oncoming bright light equipped vehicle keep on the brights anyway? Those are the ones that scare me. And night becomes day.

Sep 4, 2012

"Imbeciles" is indeed the right word. These morons stop at nothing when it comes to safety violations and pure disregard to human life. The more lights, the better for these idiots!

Sep 4, 2012
How often do you find an oncoming bright light equipped vehicle keep on the brights anyway? Those are the ones that scare me. And night becomes day.

oncoming, behind you, on the side passing......the morons do not understand the purpose of bright lights, they just turn them on and who cares.....