dominican bass player wins scholarship to study in berklee college of music

Jan 9, 2004
congrats to a young dominican musician who won a scholarship sponsored by miguel bose.
latin grammy foundation partnered previously with enrique iglesias and juan luis guerra who support the cause.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...0-latin-grammy-foundation-scholarship-student
article in spanish:
https://www.diariolibre.com/revista/musica/bajista-dominicano-gana-beca-miguel-bose-AD7317121

Juan Luis Guerra was or still is a faculty member there.

My wife's cousin graduated from Berklee and plays with the Santo Domingo symphony as well as with Juan Luis Guerra when he gives a concert on the Island.

A steady stream of Dominicans have gone to and graduated from the prestigious Berklee....unfortunately those accomplishments are not always mentioned in the press.

Thanks for the post.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Congratulations are in order to Ernesto Núñez .

PC, someone actually graduated from Berklee? That is practically unheard of, let alone a steady steam of musicians from anywhere.

Jan 9, 2004
Congratulations are in order to Ernesto Núñez .

PC, someone actually graduated from Berklee? That is practically unheard of, let alone a steady steam of musicians from anywhere.

Juan Luis Guerra graduated in 1982 and has been providing scholarships for latin musicians through the Latin Grammy Foundation for many years......many from the DR.....and the Santo Domingo Symphony Orchestra contains many of those Berklee graduates.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know that some do graduate Berklee, but it is a bit of an inside joke among musicians if they ask another musicians if they went to school for music and they say they "attended" Berklee. That normally means they went for a year and then just started playing. I played with two of those attendees myself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Al Cooper is a professor there, It's a very good school.

It really is a one of a kind place for musicians. I have heard that Al was in a band with a person from my home town. I know that Al Kooper was in that band, but I am not certain about the guy from my home area actually being in the band.

Caution - this is before they perfected the concept of stage monitors so the vocalists would hear what they were singing. The vocals are a bit rough.

[video=youtube;nLenEHCRbsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLenEHCRbsE[/video]

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I know that some do graduate Berklee, but it is a bit of an inside joke among musicians if they ask another musicians if they went to school for music and they say they "attended" Berklee. That normally means they went for a year and then just started playing. I played with two of those attendees myself.

Unless they are on a full scholarship they either get a job or they bleed out.