Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barcelo Dominican Beach Sale Based on Erosion?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barcelo Dominican Beach Sale Based on Erosion?

I thought it was a little odd when most large hotel chains are buying and building new resorts in Punta Cana that Barcelo decided to sell one of theirs. Now that Sunscape Bavaro Beach is open (the company who bought the resort from Barcelo) it appears that maybe Barcelo knew their property was about to be seriously damaged by beach erosion. To ward off erosion Sunscape has forced to basically ruin their beach with massive bags of sand in an attempt to slow down erosion which is just a few feet from their snack cafe.

Has Sunscape made any statments on why they are doing this, what they hope it will acomplish and how long it will take?
    What an eye sore.

2. Likes cavok liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That's amazing. All  that effort will not stop the erosion. Rip rap and armour stone would slow down the process or relocate the problem to another area. Either way, it's going to be an eyesore and restrict access to the beach. You can work with nature but you can't fight it.

4. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately Balicana will also be forced to relocate again. They're also too close to the shoreline. I hope they survive another hurricane season.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by healimonster View Post
    I thought it was a little odd when most large hotel chains are buying and building new resorts in Punta Cana that Barcelo decided to sell one of theirs. Now that Sunscape Bavaro Beach is open (the company who bought the resort from Barcelo) it appears that maybe Barcelo knew their property was about to be seriously damaged by beach erosion. To ward off erosion Sunscape has forced to basically ruin their beach with massive bags of sand in an attempt to slow down erosion which is just a few feet from their snack cafe.

Has Sunscape made any statments on why they are doing this, what they hope it will acomplish and how long it will take?
    What an eye sore.
    I could be wrong but I think Barcelo is closing all their resorts in the DR.

7. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dulce, I wouldn't be surprised. However, the Hotel Embajador is now under the Barceló group (Royal Hideaway hotel). Also the Barceló Punta Cana is now called Occidental Caribe which is also under the Barceló group. Although some of their properties in the DR have been renovated, for the most part they are a bit rundown. I have stayed at some of the properties and enjoyed my stays in the past. Haven't been lately though.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what they look like from SPACE!

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    That would be very surprising to me since some of them are new-ish.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by healimonster View Post
    This is what they look like from SPACE!

That would be very surprising to me since some of them are new-ish.
    Actually the only really "new" one would be Barceló Palace/Deluxe. I stayed there when it first opened as the Palace Deluxe. Before the second phase of construction that made it into the mega resort it is now. They had renovated half of the Barceló Punta Cana prior to it being changed to Occidental Caribe.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    Dulce, I wouldn't be surprised. However, the Hotel Embajador is now under the Barceló group (Royal Hideaway hotel). Also the Barceló Punta Cana is now called Occidental Caribe which is also under the Barceló group. Although some of their properties in the DR have been renovated, for the most part they are a bit rundown. I have stayed at some of the properties and enjoyed my stays in the past. Haven't been lately though.
    Interesting because the first 2 times I went to JD I stayed at the Occidental  which then became Barceló Capella. I stayed at Capella too many times to count over the years.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    You are very wrong.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ocean Blue has the same sand bags. Real eye sore and the beach is awfully ugly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast