portable air conditioning unit with no drain...none available on north coast

joseph01

Jun 21, 2010
I am interested in getting a 12 000 BTU portable unit with one hole for exit air and no water drain.
Nobody seems to know here that they exist. In usa they have been around for a few years...1 outlet design...
Has anyone seem a store.....thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I am interested in getting a 12 000 BTU portable unit with one hole for exit air and no water drain.
Nobody seems to know here that they exist. In usa they have been around for a few years...1 outlet design...
Has anyone seem a store.....thanks

I haven't seen one down here, but I know they exist. The problem with the ones I've seen is that they work by collecting the water coming off the evaporator coil in a tank. In a humid climate like here, it has to be emptied frequently.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I haven't seen one down here, but I know they exist. The problem with the ones I've seen is that they work by collecting the water coming off the evaporator coil in a tank. In a humid climate like here, it has to be emptied frequently.
Even the window units have a tube that drops outside the window. Are you talking about a portable that needs a flexible exhaust vent out a window?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have a Danby, bought it at Pricesmart 2-3 years ago.

Not sure now, but I think the one I have had an option of a built in holder for the water, that needs to be emptied now and then, or connect a hose. I use a hose with mine.

The one below uses a window hose to dispense the water,

Danby Portable Air Conditioner

Don

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Even the window units have a tube that drops outside the window. Are you talking about a portable that needs a flexible exhaust vent out a window?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

The portable indoor units that I've seen have a flexible hot air vent and a drain line. There are some that just have the hot air vent. The condensate is collected in a small tank in the unit that needs to be emptied regularly.

I've seen another type that is able to evaporate some of the condensate and exhaust it with the hot air, but it used an electrically heated condensate pan like in a refrigerator to do this. Not really practical with the cost of electric here.

I just saw the link in post #4. Haven't had time to read it yet, but I think this is how this one works(?).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another problem with these indoor units is that they run on 120V. Not a very efficient way to cool your unit.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Another problem with these indoor units is that they run on 120V. Not a very efficient way to cool your unit.

That's certainly true. Portable ACs are not intended to cool open spaces. The best option is central air, then a ductless split, then a window shaker and finally a portable unit. If you wish to move a piano, you wouldn't choose a Cooper Mini as your transportation vehicle. A portable AC is intended for someone who cannot utilize one of the better solutions and intends to cool a space that can be closed off like a bedroom or a home office.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's certainly true. Portable ACs are not intended to cool open spaces. The best option is central air, then a ductless split, then a window shaker and finally a portable unit. If you wish to move a piano, you wouldn't choose a Cooper Mini as your transportation vehicle. A portable AC is intended for someone who cannot utilize one of the better solutions and intends to cool a space that can be closed off like a bedroom or a home office.

Yes, only for small rooms where you can't utilize a window or split unit. And then you have another problem - noise. Most of the reviews I've read on these portable units had complaints about noise. Who wants to be in a room with a noisy a/c unit?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

And make sure you have quality outlet sockets.  These high energy appliances consume a lot of current.  IF the plug or socket is bad, it will overheat, melt and possibly catch fire.

I'm not a huge fan of portable AC units.  12,000btu must be a hell of a machine.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
And make sure you have quality outlet sockets.  These high energy appliances consume a lot of current.  IF the plug or socket is bad, it will overheat, melt and possibly catch fire.

I'm not a huge fan of portable AC units.  12,000btu must be a hell of a machine.

Yes, very true. Specs show 11.8A. When the compressor kicks on it's probably double or triple that briefly(?).

May 5, 2007
I used a "portable"once and it was designed so the water removed from the air was collected in a tank and the intake fan had a device on back that "dipped" into the water and splashed on the hot condenser It still needed to be emptied once in a while if the condenser/fan arrangement could not keep up, really inefficient units In answer to your post, I have seen them at the big home products store in Santiago, "Ocha" or something like that

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Greetings. I have one of these that I purchased two years ago at Pricemart. I used it for about 3-4 months...then built a second story about a year ago to get all the nice prevailing Easterly Breezes through louvered windows. Even now about 1:00 in the morning we have to toss blanket on us! We went 99% "off grid" as well so we have not used this since. I believe it is a 12,000 BTU unit. It an Electrolux on "wheels"with the window attachment and remote control. It had a reservoir for the water but I only had to drain it out every couple of months if that. It worked for us during the summer months. If you are interested in buying something used but in great shape, let me know and I'll dig up the specifics....like what I paid for it at the time and the exact BTU rating. I'll take a few pictures and PM them to you also. I will try to attach a sample picture of the unit here. https://www.pluginsme.com/en/plugins-uae/625643
We live about 20 min west of Luperon on the beach in LA Isabella harbor. (near the Columbus settlement. Cheers!!