Surfing in the Dominican Republic

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Here I had thought that the best surfing in the DR was on the south side of the island. DOn't remember the name, but East of La Romana. I don't surf, never have, but I thought any surfing article would be about here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here I had thought that the best surfing in the DR was on the south side of the island. DOn't remember the name, but East of La Romana. I don't surf, never have, but I thought any surfing article would be about here.

The only southern beach with anything resembling waves is Embassy Beach/Playa Caribe, and I've only seen body surfing there

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The only southern beach with anything resembling waves is Embassy Beach/Playa Caribe, and I've only seen body surfing there

OK thanks, thinking it over I guess it was scuba diving I saw wherever it was. A Spanish name of course, but kind of like Winona or Westeria or Waverly. Can't find it on the map right here and now.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
The first surf pictures from the OP are from Playa Preciosa/ El Barco Bay, just east of Playa Grande.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Strong breeze and several kite surfers in Bavaro yesterday. Near Los Corales. This is often the case when there is wind (not that I can get anyone here to say viento. It's always a breeze of varying strength.)

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
OK thanks, thinking it over I guess it was scuba diving I saw wherever it was. A Spanish name of course, but kind of like Winona or Westeria or Waverly. Can't find it on the map right here and now.

Derfish, if it was east of La Romana and Scuba it would most likely have been Bayahibe. I dove there with my son before. Best in the area.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

As far as I know, the main surf beach is Encuentro in Cabarete and then the other locale out near Playa Grande. Nobody that comes here for water sports speaks of south coast waves. By far and away the main current water sports attraction is Kite Surfing in Cabarete, no matter how good the regular surfing is.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Macao (East coast north of Bavaro), La Punta SW of the capital in San Cristobal province, Bahoruco in the far SW and Encuentro near Cabarete are the best known surf beaches.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Macao (East coast north of Bavaro), La Punta SW of the capital in San Cristobal province, Bahoruco in the far SW and Encuentro near Cabarete are the best known surf beaches.

Exactly where is La Punta? We don't know it, and it must be very near us.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't know the exact location - it's not on Google Maps. If you've seen the Pico Duarte/Everest movie "La Montaña" the surfing scenes were filmed there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Don't know the exact location - it's not on Google Maps. If you've seen the Pico Duarte/Everest movie "La Montaña" the surfing scenes were filmed there.

I know there are a couple of "no-name" beaches that you have to drive down kind of scary, rutted dirt roads to reach. We'll have to ask. You're sure it's in SC province?

Playa Grande

Nope, she's talking about a beach on the south coast, just west of Santo Domingo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's mentioned in the Fedosurf website. Surfer friends also mentioned it being in San Cristóbal province.

Las playas del país tienen diferente calificación en la calidad del surf que brindan, entre las mejores...
...en la Costa Sur: “La Boya” en Andrés Boca Chica, “La Punta” en San Cristóbal” y “Playa Bahoruco” en Barahona.

This article also mentions a Playa "Patho" (or Pato) in Nizao
http://www.listindiario.com/la-vida/2013/08/07/287345/las-playas-del-surf

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
La Punta is on the west side of Playa Grande. Go there and check it out. If you surf bring your board, or not.