Cosmetic Surgery DR

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If it is 10 women out of thousands and it was all voluntary surgery what is the big scare? Is the risk any higher in the DR than in the Bronx? I am sure these types of surgeries are done there and I am also certain that there are infections at times there also. Is there any difference in the percentages? We need more facts.
Der Fish

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It is the season.

There is a running joke in NYC that tax refunds should be sent directly to DR plastic surgeons. Many women go down to DR to get their video vixen body with that money, just in time to be looking hot for the summer.

Apr 10, 2014
If it is 10 women out of thousands and it was all voluntary surgery what is the big scare? Is the risk any higher in the DR than in the Bronx? I am sure these types of surgeries are done there and I am also certain that there are infections at times there also. Is there any difference in the percentages? We need more facts.
Der Fish

I would not even have a hangnail removed in the D.R. Would take a flight to New York where there are regulations and you have a recourse in the event the procedure was not done properly.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I would not even have a hangnail removed in the D.R. Would take a flight to New York where there are regulations and you have a recourse in the event the procedure was not done properly.

That seems pretty harsh. A hangnail? There may not be the type of accountability that we are normally used to in a more developed nation but some of the doctors do perform their duties on-par with physicians in more develped countries.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I posted in another thread about an SD doctor trained in Rio by a true 'Doctor to the Stars'
an excellent plastic surgeon

I have seen the SD doctor's work really, really good

They aren't all fumble fingers these RD surgeons... but enough are

Apr 10, 2014
That seems pretty harsh. A hangnail? There may not be the type of accountability that we are normally used to in a more developed nation but some of the doctors do perform their duties on-par with physicians in more develped countries.
The hangnail was just a facetious comment. However the truth is that no one should play with their health or the choice of the best care possible. Does the D.R. have Board certified physicians or malpractice insurance? Have heard from doctors in the Dominican Republic who have stated that they do not have the training, education or qualifications to be a physician in the States.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The hangnail was just a facetious comment. However the truth is that no one should play with their health or the choice of the best care possible. Does the D.R. have Board certified physicians or malpractice insurance? Have heard from doctors in the Dominican Republic who have stated that they do not have the training, education or qualifications to be a physician in the States.

I am not 100% sure of that because I believe that there are US doctors who attend or have attended medical school in the DR. I more think it has to do with the certifications and licensing issues in the US. Maybe someone who is knowledgeable can correct me. Yeah, I got the feeling that you were being facetious about the hang nail thing. All's well, it just gave me a good chuckle that's all.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE has a close cousin in SD, well-to-do, dual US/DR citizen. When he was diagnosed with cancer, he went to NYC for surgery and treatment. When he needed heart surgery a year or so later, he chose Cedimat in SD. He could have gone anywhere in the world. He raved about the surgeon.

So... it depends on where you are in DR, and how much you know about the doctors and hospitals. A close friend of mine, a former nurse from NYC, lived in SD over 20 years. She had her hip replacement in SD, when she could have gone to the US with Medicare. She spoke so highly of the surgeon, I still remember his name - Krantz.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

OK, this might be slightly off topic since it is dental, not medical, but for many years I was an adjunct professor for international education to a US dental school. The school runs a program for foreign dental graduates to bring them to the point of being able to practice in the US. The dean of students, who sits on the admissions committee, told me once that the only Dominican university graduate that they would consider accepting into the program would have to be from PUCMM because their experience was that PUCMM graduates were the only ones capable of benefiting from the program. How many different medical/dental schools in the DR does that rule out?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let's not forget...
Cdn doctors need to pass US boards too , any foreign trained doctor.... just a fact of life in the medical world

Not saying that all RD doctors would pass or fail.... just pointing out a situation

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

You must be joking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i totally will do plastic surgery here when i start to sag. all it takes is a good doctor.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You get what you pay for. Some will jump at the chance if the price fits their budget. AE is totally correct, there are some very good doctors in the DR. I know Dominicans that are in the US and do well for themselves. But if they need a medical procedure done they will go to the DR. I could have had my knee surgery done in the DR. I had total faith in the ortho I saw. However it was the recovery period that made me do it in the US. It was just going to be easier in the US for the recovery.

As for women altering their bodies, to each their own. It is a personal decision one makes. The most important thing is to do your homework and get has much information as you can and weigh the options.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I am not 100% sure of that because I believe that there are US doctors who attend or have attended medical school in the DR. I more think it has to do with the certifications and licensing issues in the US. Maybe someone who is knowledgeable can correct me. Yeah, I got the feeling that you were being facetious about the hang nail thing. All's well, it just gave me a good chuckle that's all.
....you have to be licensed in the USA, to practice there....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Except for certain high-tech procedures, I have *zero* problem with Dominican surgeons, and my background is high-tech healthcare.

But I wouldn't shop around for the cheapest either.

Condemning DR healthcare just means you've not been exposed to the higher end of it.