Two British citizens getting married on vacation

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have been asked by a friend of mine in England that he and his fiancee are considering coming to the DR on vacation to get married.

What needs to be done?  What documents, translations, legal proceedings are required?  Is there a one stop solution / company / agency that deal with tourist weddings?

I am assuming that a Dominican marriage to foreigners is recognized in the UK.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here:
http://ayuda.jce.gob.do/kb/a27/cuales-son-los-requisitos-para-un-matrimonio-civil.aspx

En los casos de extranjeros, acta de nacimiento, pasaporte, si el mismo está en castellano y consigna el estado civil como soltero(a) no es obligatoria la presentación de la constancia de soltería. Para los demás casos, constancia de soltería expedida por el Registro Civil del país de origen o residencia de éstos. Esta constancia de declaración debe estar legalizada por la autoridad consular dominicana acreditada al lugar donde fue expedida. Si el documento no está escrito en castellano debe ser traducido por un intérprete judicial y legalizado por la Procuraduría General de la República y la Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores. En algunos casos la traducción puede ser hecha en el mismo Consulado Dominicano. Algunas Delegaciones Diplomáticas acreditadas en territorio dominicano reciben la declaración de soltería de sus ciudadanos. En el caso de los ciudadanos extranjeros cuyo país de origen y residencia no tiene relaciones diplomáticas con la República Dominicana, esta declaración de soltería puede ser hecha ante un notario público dominicano, debiendo estar legalizada por la Procuraduría General de la República.

in my opinion it's a pain in the rectum. they would be better off getting married quietly back home and having a "fake" ceremony in DR to celebrate it.

caribbeankeith

Jun 3, 2016
we did it here at casa marina,,,,,,it couldn't have been easier,,,,,very helpful, not expensive,,,,,helped with the planning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I pm ya

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I would strongly suggest that you get married in your home country, secretly. then come here and have another unoffcial weeding, cheaper, straught forward, very little cost, no consre
n for document or translated documents.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
we did it here at casa marina,,,,,,it couldn't have been easier,,,,,very helpful, not expensive,,,,,helped with the planning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I pm ya

....worked for me, hotel wedding planner....they take care of all the paper work.....

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As I recall they have to be in the country a minimum of 3 days prior to the ceremony for it to be legal in RD.

If it's not recognized here it won't be recognized in England.
Lots of the AI hotels have a wedding planner on staff.
There have been a few cases where couples were married but had difficulty getting the paper work after the fact causing problems in their home country.

caribbeankeith

Jun 3, 2016
TYPICAL..............yet another post hijacked and brought down,,,a serious question looking for a serious answer,,,,,like I said another tw@ spoiling the forum,,,,,,

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
TYPICAL..............yet another post hijacked and brought down,,,a serious question looking for a serious answer,,,,,like I said another tw@ spoiling the forum,,,,,,

Cleaned up newbie and moved to Legal.

You are right....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I got married in the dr. But my wife was a double national.

The UK wanted an official wedding certificate traduction. That was all. ( I didnt do it though, i dont live in the UK, and I dont count on ;) ).
The Swiss ( my wife's other nationality ) asked for a couple of papers, but nothing exceptionally complicated.

The UK had also told me that the wedding was recognised only from the date you deposited your stuff at the UK embassy. ie, say you waited a year after getting married to do the UK docs, well you lossed a year on tax, or whatnot. BUT if you " legalise" your dr wedding in another country, in our case, Switzerland, then the UK will accept it anytime you wish ( from its real date ).
Sorry not very clear, hope you get the gist ;) ;)

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
As I recall they have to be in the country a minimum of 3 days prior to the ceremony for it to be legal in RD.

If it's not recognized here it won't be recognized in England.
Lots of the AI hotels have a wedding planner on staff.
There have been a few cases where couples were married but had difficulty getting the paper work after the fact causing problems in their home country.

... I think some bad info......