Anyone brought in puppy without rabies vaccine?

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
We have friends that just had beautiful puppies and we were hoping to purchase one to bring back to our home in DR. The problem is that we will be travelling from Toronto to Samana when the puppy is only 8 weeks old. The official rules from DR is that dogs brought in must have rabies shots at least 30 days before arriving in DR. Puppies can't have their rabies shots until 3 months old, so 'officially' they need to be 4 months old to be accepted here. But I've also seen the questionnaire for the vet check-up before travelling and it says "the veterinarian may certify the failure to implement the rabies vaccine because of insufficient age according to the vaccination schedule for the species".  
Has anyone successfully brought in a puppy without rabies shots?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Unvaccinated puppies and kittens are not permitted to enter the Dominican Republic. Once your puppy or kitten turns 3 months of age, it must be vaccinated for rabies and wait 30 days before entering the Dominican Republic 

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We have friends that just had beautiful puppies and we were hoping to purchase one to bring back to our home in DR. The problem is that we will be travelling from Toronto to Samana when the puppy is only 8 weeks old. The official rules from DR is that dogs brought in must have rabies shots at least 30 days before arriving in DR. Puppies can't have their rabies shots until 3 months old, so 'officially' they need to be 4 months old to be accepted here. But I've also seen the questionnaire for the vet check-up before travelling and it says "the veterinarian may certify the failure to implement the rabies vaccine because of insufficient age according to the vaccination schedule for the species".  

Would you really want to?
Der Fish

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
you want to bring a puppy to the dr?......on any given day where I live you can have your pick of many......

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

YOU CAN'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!! You need to have an international travel form filled out by a vet in Canada showing the dog has all the proper vaccines. Withou this documentation the airlines will not let you board the dog let alone fly to the DR. Come on are you serious??

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Despite what you've read here, I fully understand your wanting to bring in your own dog. I did. Of course, mine was older...so there was no problem. But you can import dogs into the US and Canada without rabies shots if they are too young so I suspect you can do that here, too. Just check carefully before boarding the plane. You wouldn't want to be turned away at any point. I would suggest going in person to the official at the airport here in the DR ( or sending someone on your behalf) and asking the question. Also check the US agriculture web site in the US... good luck.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Despite what you've read here, I fully understand your wanting to bring in your own dog. I did. Of course, mine was older...so there was no problem. But you can import dogs into the US and Canada without rabies shots if they are too young so I suspect you can do that here, too. Just check carefully before boarding the plane. You wouldn't want to be turned away at any point. I would suggest going in person to the official at the airport here in the DR ( or sending someone on your behalf) and asking the question. Also check the US agriculture web site in the US... good luck.

Absolutely true. Our rotties had a surprise litter in DR, and we brought one back to NJ. She was only 8 weeks old, too young for rabies shot, no problem at all coming into USA. She did have all other shots and vet certification

IMG_0790.jpg

She's 120 pounds now. IMG_0126.jpg

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
2 years ago I had a schnauzer puppy brought here ,- 10 weeks old,- no rabies shot.  Also no leptospirosis!!!!!!!  Since that disease is not found in Canada, they don't usually vaccinate for it.  in a few months one of my other schnauzers died of lepto,-my husband almost died of it too,-

but,- to answer your question,- had no problem getting the puppy in without a rabies shot.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
2 years ago I had a schnauzer puppy brought here ,- 10 weeks old,- no rabies shot.  Also no leptospirosis!!!!!!!  Since that disease is not found in Canada, they don't usually vaccinate for it.  in a few months one of my other schnauzers died of lepto,-my husband almost died of it too,-

but,- to answer your question,- had no problem getting the puppy in without a rabies shot.

Sorry about your puppy :(  ... I had to google leptospirosis and was shocked in Ontario 25% of wild animals have it more in city raccoons.. since my dog goes north I will be asking vet for vaccine... thanks for info

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
lifeisgreat:  my dog and husband got the disease down here,- comes in rat urine or faces,- and we have a few rats down here!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Always good to get a first hand report..lots of advice, much not from experience 

Thanks pulvarik .. sorry about the leptospirosis