Travel Help

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Been a while since I have been in here. Wife and I are flying to DR. At this moment where is up in the air. PUJ,POP and SDQ are our 3 options. We are not a fan of resorts, for us this is out of the scenario. We are going to be visiting her and I her family. 3 adults and a 2 year old child. We are looking for beach side lodging with pool. 5 adults and the 1 child. Last year we visited Cabarete and had a really good time. Her family lives in Nagua and we will be putting them on a bus to wherever we fly into or they can meet us at the hotel. 5 nights for hotel stay. We MUST have a kitchenette in one of our rooms.Thanks for your help in advance.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you are not a fan and had a really good time last year, I would say that a return to Cabarete would be a good option. Plenty of places that meet your needs.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both will be fine if you liked Cabarete before.

From Nagua and SDQ.... Las Terranas is closer and easier

You can land SDQ , rent a car and be in Nagua in hour + a bit./...then 30-40 minutes to Las Terranas

Better beaches - IMO.... good food

Worth a try

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is a real pity the Airport at El Catey which is only 20 minutes from Nagua and Las Terrenas does not have flights anymore from the USA.......we assume you are from USA and not Canada.

If you plan to go to Cabarete again, you should use POP and it is then a two hour plus x two bus rides (Rio San Juan and then on to Cabarete or POP) for the family to be with you.

If you go to Las Terrenas you should use SDQ and from there it is a taxi to the end of the new Autopista and catch a bus to Las Terrenas direct or Sanchez and then to Las Terrenas and that takes two to two and a half hours. For your family they could come to SDQ and there are frequent buses plying the Autopista from Nagua and it takes just over an hour to get to the end of the autopista and then take a taxi of ten to fifteen minutes to the airport. If you all meet at SDQ you might want to pre-book a taxi to take you all direct to your hotel in Las Terrenas...it is not cheap but it will take 1.45 hours direct using both toll autopistas (the flight price difference using SDQ rather than POP will most likely cover the taxi costs by the way). Scenic journey by the way. There are several smaller hotels with kitchen facilities in Las Terrenas and you can find them using a hotel booking portal. Hotel Albachiara or Hotel Alisei spring to mind as well as Hotel Colibri.

Forget PUJ being so far away from Nagua.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
It is a real pity the Airport at El Catey which is only 20 minutes from Nagua and Las Terrenas does not have flights anymore from the USA.......we assume you are from USA and not Canada.

If you plan to go to Cabarete again, you should use POP and it is then a two hour plus x two bus rides (Rio San Juan and then on to Cabarete or POP) for the family to be with you.

If you go to Las Terrenas you should use SDQ and from there it is a taxi to the end of the new Autopista and catch a bus to Las Terrenas direct or Sanchez and then to Las Terrenas and that takes two to two and a half hours. For your family they could come to SDQ and there are frequent buses plying the Autopista from Nagua and it takes just over an hour to get to the end of the autopista and then take a taxi of ten to fifteen minutes to the airport. If you all meet at SDQ you might want to pre-book a taxi to take you all direct to your hotel in Las Terrenas...it is not cheap but it will take 1.45 hours direct using both toll autopistas (the flight price difference using SDQ rather than POP will most likely cover the taxi costs by the way). Scenic journey by the way. There are several smaller hotels with kitchen facilities in Las Terrenas and you can find them using a hotel booking portal. Hotel Albachiara or Hotel Alisei spring to mind as well as Hotel Colibri.

Forget PUJ being so far away from Nagua.
I have been checking for flights to El Catey for years. No luck. Wifes and her family is actually from Factor 10 minutes from Nagua. She has been here with me Dallas, Texas for 3.5 years even she cannot believe it that El Catey still does not have any flights from the states. Jet Blue used to fly into there. She has always wanted us to go to Los Terranas but the hotels I get the impression from reading reviews that they are dated with plenty of mosquitos. :nervous:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My wife found this hotel 5 minutes from her family house. http://hotelboutiquedellago.com.do/nuestro-hotel

I know El Factor a wee bit and if that hotel is nearby my advice would be to try it out. It looks decent at about $75 a night with the added advantage it is close to the family. You can do day trips to Las Terrenas from there because it is only 45 minutes by car using the new toll road.

And I quite like a Dominican day out on the beaches of Nagua such as Playas Los Gringos and farther afield towards Cabrera and Playa Entrada and there are some nice trips into the hills too nearby to Nagua plus a day boat trip from Sanchez on the road to Samana to Parque Los Haitises.

I think your wife has solved your problem.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
I know El Factor a wee bit and if that hotel is nearby my advice would be to try it out. It looks decent at about $75 a night with the added advantage it is close to the family. You can do day trips to Las Terrenas from there because it is only 45 minutes by car using the new toll road.

And I quite like a Dominican day out on the beaches of Nagua such as Playas Los Gringos and farther afield towards Cabrera and Playa Entrada and there are some nice trips into the hills too nearby to Nagua plus a day boat trip from Sanchez on the road to Samana to Parque Los Haitises.

I think your wife has solved your problem.
Everything is still up in the air. We are not going till last week of april or mid may. Once she got her visa we would go back to DR every 3-4 months and last time we visited was in Punta Cana and nobody seemed excited to see us. For this we decided not come back for 2 years....Either way this Hotel Boutique looks valid.They told me the pool is open 24 hours. Playa Los Gringos is the beach we were married on so be fun to go back and visit. 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Been a while since I have been in here. Wife and I are flying to DR. At this moment where is up in the air. PUJ,POP and SDQ are our 3 options. We are not a fan of resorts, for us this is out of the scenario. We are going to be visiting her and I her family. 3 adults and a 2 year old child. We are looking for beach side lodging with pool. 5 adults and the 1 child. Last year we visited Cabarete and had a really good time. Her family lives in Nagua and we will be putting them on a bus to wherever we fly into or they can meet us at the hotel. 5 nights for hotel stay. We MUST have a kitchenette in one of our rooms.Thanks for your help in advance.

First, where are you flying from? If you are flying out of Canada I would fly into El Catey Airport which is less than 20 kms from Nagua. I would stay in the Las Terrenas which is 30 minutes from the airport and about 50 minutes or less from Nagua. LT is much more family friendly than Cabarate and you can find many small hotels that have what you are looking for. If you have to fly in SDQ I would rent a car and still stay in Las Terrenas. It's about a 2 hour ride from SDQ. The beaches in Lt are very nice and your choice of restaurants is excellent. Go to the top of the Northeast thread and checkout the tourist guide.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Everything is still up in the air. We are not going till last week of april or mid may. Once she got her visa we would go back to DR every 3-4 months and last time we visited was in Punta Cana and nobody seemed excited to see us. For this we decided not come back for 2 years....Either way this Hotel Boutique looks valid.They told me the pool is open 24 hours. Playa Los Gringos is the beach we were married on so be fun to go back and visit. 

On my calendar April and May have already passed. Are you talking about 2018?
Der Fish

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have been checking for flights to El Catey for years. No luck. Wifes and her family is actually from Factor 10 minutes from Nagua. She has been here with me Dallas, Texas for 3.5 years even she cannot believe it that El Catey still does not have any flights from the states. Jet Blue used to fly into there. She has always wanted us to go to Los Terranas but the hotels I get the impression from reading reviews that they are dated with plenty of mosquitos. :nervous:

There are some older hotels and also some new construction in LT. It depends what your budget is. The bugs are a problem and it is hard to sit outside after dark however they do make bug spray for this exact problem. Fly into SD and rent a vehicle and drive to LT and stay there. It is a great little beach town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not knowing the ages and health of the family , I offer a word of caution about LT -
There is limited hospital care, unlike Nagua where they have a large hospital.

Serious illness and accident patients often get shipped out of Las Terranas to SD for treatment.

For aged family members .... Nagua might be better