how to get from punta cana airport to sosua

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I have a flight on the 7th of July, Sadly got only a flight to Punta Cana...connection to POP was full. What would be the best way to get to Sosua? Arriving 2pm in Punta Cana.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have a flight on the 7th of July, Sadly got only a flight to Punta Cana...connection to POP was full. What would be the best way to get to Sosua? Arriving 2pm in Punta Cana.

We just did this one last week. But to have another go at it. One can rent a car if one is not afraid to drive as many on this site declare that they are. A rental car isn't extremely cheap, but Probably cheaper than try to pay a taxi. But one can take a bus into the capital and then up thru Nagua and on to Sosua from there. f I were still in the country i would make an offer to drive you for $100.00 USD, but am not nor do I have any idea who might be avaliable.
Der Fish

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Take a bus to Santo Domingo,stay the night,first bus out in the morning to sosua,Caribe tours has a 530am,bus to Santiago,on to sosua.A night in the colonial zone,may be fun.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
We just did this one last week. But to have another go at it. One can rent a car if one is not afraid to drive as many on this site declare that they are. A rental car isn't extremely cheap, but Probably cheaper than try to pay a taxi. But one can take a bus into the capital and then up thru Nagua and on to Sosua from there. f I were still in the country i would make an offer to drive you for $100.00 USD, but am not nor do I have any idea who might be avaliable.
Der Fish

i am not afraid to rent a car and drive here. which rental company would you recommend who would take the car back in Sosua or POP?
Which route would then the best to take. the nice part is arriving just with handluggage and at 2pm, so enough time to get by daylight to sosua i presume.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
i am not afraid to rent a car and drive here. which rental company would you recommend who would take the car back in Sosua or POP?
Which route would then the best to take. the nice part is arriving just with handluggage and at 2pm, so enough time to get by daylight to sosua i presume.

Avis or Enterprise. One of the biggies. The small ones need the car delivered where it was picked up. Renting one way will have a bigger premium than one is used to, but it is still my recommendation.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Avis or Enterprise. One of the biggies. The small ones need the car delivered where it was picked up. Renting one way will have a bigger premium than one is used to, but it is still my recommendation.

i checked the prices online and they charge almost 200 dollars just return fee, plus rental fee plus insurance

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yeagh, I think SDQ to POP is much better with things like that ..
Met a group of people who did exactly that on the plane back to NY , and there was supposedly no additional fee for dropping the Car at POP Airport .. Maybe different Car rental Companies have different Policies ?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Yeagh, I think SDQ to POP is much better with things like that ..
Met a group of people who did exactly that on the plane back to NY , and there was supposedly no additional fee for dropping the Car at POP Airport .. Maybe different Car rental Companies have different Policies ?

Ohhhhh could you ask them which company they used, please. thanks so much :))))

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Ohhhhh could you ask them which company they used, please. thanks so much :))))

Only met them on the plane cuz they were a group and seemed to have a lot of fun, so we chatted on the flight back.. did not exchange info.
but I am 100% it was one of the big Rental Companies .. should not be hard to find..
Work backwards , contact SDQ Rental companies first..see which one allows it ..
but this may be a matter of which Airport than Which car Rental Co.

sorry, not my field of expertise ...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Rental cars going between SDQ and POP are much more like to be rented back for return - between PUJ and POP, not so much/often. That's why there's a drop off charge.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....Made almost the same trip last winter....I thought how bad can it be getting from Punta cana to north coast...well for me never again... fly into Santiago or POP.......Doc.....

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
coming from Europe. they don't fly to Stgo.... puerto plata was full...Santo domingo no space. there is vacation start in europe so all fully booked. the only connection left was punta cana. driving i wouldn't mind if i could find a car rental. the driving services are crazy...asking 400 US$ one way!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Our guests have successfully used these directions from Punta Cana to the North Coast

Public transportation between Punta Cana and Sosua/Cabarete would work as follows:

1. Take a cab to get to the Expreso Bávaro bus station in Verón (Punta Cana). (You will see from the timetable below that there are only 6 buses a day from Verón to Santo Domingo, there are more buses from Higüey than from Verón/Punta Cana so if there is no suitable Expreso Bávaro bus from Verón then Cocotours would have to drive you from Punta Cana airport all the way to the Expreso Higüey bus station in the town of Higüey, a 45-minute drive from Punta Cana airport.

2. Ride the Expreso Bávaro bus from Verón to Santo Domingo. The Expreso Bávaro buses tend to be new and clean, their new buses have reclinable seat backs, and an on board toilet, but there is not much legroom, and for most of the ride Hollywood movies are shown on flat screens attached to the ceiling, with the Spanish soundtrack blaring out of speakers throughout the bus. Maybe a good idea to bring earplugs if you don't want to listen to the movie which may feature such sounds of gunshots, car chases and police sirens etc. The Expreso Bávaro buses also have an on board ticket collector who will walk up the aisle shortly after departure to collect your ticket, or your fare since it is possible to board the bus without a ticket and pay onboard. The Expreso Bávaro buses arrive at the bus terminus on Juan Sánchez Ramírez street in Santo Domingo. The Expreso Higüey buses terminate at the bus station at Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo.

3. Take a cab across Santo Domingo from the Expreso Bávaro bus terminus to the Metro Bus station. An alternative would be to take a Caribe Tours bus from the Caribe Tours bus station in Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata, however generally the Caribe Tours buses make more stops en route. Metro and Caribe Tours buses are airconditioned, and always have toilets onboard. A short stop is normally made in Santiago (or la Vega) en route where there are additional toilets and cafeterias where food can be purchased for consumption onboard.

4.Ride the Metro Bus (or Caribe Tours bus) from Santo Domingo to Sosua The journey takes about 4.5 hours.

--------
It is quite the adventure and almost like taking the trip you just took by air all over again on the ground as far as the length of time goes and certainly is a lot more of a hassle. Of course your arrival time will dictate if it is possible to make this trip in one day or if you need to spend the night somewhere along the way. Once you get on Metro or Caribe buses, you are on your way to Sosua. We have a neighbor who plays gigs in Punta Cana. He says he can drive from Punta Cana to Cabarete in around 6 to 6.5 hours and he does not use a helicopter. Some of our guests have rented cars, but then they were returning them to Punta Cana at the end of their trips when returning home.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I had a look at this a few years ago and it is really not worth it, specially after a long trip on the plane. Maybe if you have no luggage and stay a night in Santo Domingo, might be interesting, but I always decide against it and pay a little extra or come on another date to land in POP.

I recall this guy used to offer taxi service, but for one person is quite expensive (but he also has good info about public transport on his site...):

http://cocotours.com/things-to-do-i...ort-transportation/punta-cana-to-puerto-plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can't think of a good reason to fly in or out of Punta Cana if your goal is the north coast. Some people think the island is smaller and any airport will do. Then reality sets in and they find out how much time they waste and money they did not save. Even Santo Domingo and Santiago to a lesser degree are a PITA if your destination is the north coast. I use Santo Domingo sometimes, but only because we have family we can visit. I really hate going there.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
We each have to learn our own way.. Even El Catey is too much imo.. If the final destination is Sosua or Puerto Plata..
But its a good experience to do it once.. see the country a little ..And at least he is not flying back out of PUJ as well,, cuz that would be a complete waste of time , on both ends and totally destroy the Vacation, imo. Ive heard its like a solid 7 hours no matter how you slice it .. but then guys also claim they can do Samana in 2.5 hours from Sosua, which to me is impossible..
thats a solid 4

Windeguy in post #15,, you covered it all very nicely.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
i just rented a car in punta Cana and drop it off in the capital no extra charge... I used hertz

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I had a look at this a few years ago and it is really not worth it, specially after a long trip on the plane. Maybe if you have no luggage and stay a night in Santo Domingo, might be interesting, but I always decide against it and pay a little extra or come on another date to land in POP.

I recall this guy used to offer taxi service, but for one person is quite expensive (but he also has good info about public transport on his site...):

http://cocotours.com/things-to-do-i...ort-transportation/punta-cana-to-puerto-plata

cocotours offered 396 dollars one way!! crazy... i can't take an other date because of appointments upon arrival.