Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ironwork on Dominican Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I agree , too much misinformation.
    I came here to RD in early 1980's ... Even then it was not as dangerous as living in the James Bay area of Quebec.
    Things have improved here ,substantially, since then.. and for the better.
    Russ
    You are comparing an entire country to a specific area of a country,an unfair comparison. I love living in the DR but to say that it is as safe or safer than either the U.S. or Canada in general s ridiculous IMHO. I have traveled through most of the U.S. and visited a few places in Canada and I have never had to lock my doors or felt the need to have bars on my doors and windows. Just ask yourself if the DR is so safe why does every house and business have bars on every single window and door yet that is not generally the case in the U.S. or Canada?? 

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0910 View Post
    You are comparing an entire country to a specific area of a country,an unfair comparison. I love living in the DR but to say that it is as safe or safer than either the U.S. or Canada in general s ridiculous IMHO. I have traveled through most of the U.S. and visited a few places in Canada and I have never had to lock my doors or felt the need to have bars on my doors and windows. Just ask yourself if the DR is so safe why does every house and business have bars on every single window and door yet that is not generally the case in the U.S. or Canada?? 
    There are numwrous places in the DR without bars on windows or doors but yes the DR is more dangerous than before due to drugs and general disregard for life. It is still safer than Winnipeg and parts of most major cities in the USA or Canada.

3. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    It is still safer than Winnipeg and parts of most major cities in the USA or Canada.
    Again,comparing a specific city to an entire country. Generally,people don't have bars on their windows and doors in the U.S. or Canada yet generally,in the DR they do,there is a reason for that and the reason is generally the DR is much less safe than the U.S. and Canada.

5. Likes TexasGirl2Dr, NY-DR Commuter liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Reason we have bars is when we're gone less of chance for breakin ... ladrones are everywhere any country....**** happens no matter where you are... you just have to learn different street smarts here then in motherland...

7. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Its my understanding that the wrought iron work on homes in the DR is a decoration. Any Dominican thief worth his salt can open the bars in under a minute using his Toyota scissor jack. Dominicans think they look nice on a home. All I know is what my wife told me. She added them to our house and I thought the same, good protection.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many residential communities within New York City that have had bars on their doors and windows for over 30 years. Most of the communities are occupied by immigrants from Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Jamaica, and various Central and South American countries. They are not for decoration.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sanpedrogringo View Post
    There are many residential communities within New York City that have had bars on their doors and windows for over 30 years. Most of the communities are occupied by immigrants from Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Jamaica, and various Central and South American countries. They are not for decoration.
    I know it's thread drift, but from what I understand the bars---at least in much of the DR---have morphed from a security measure to a decorative device.

They have been part of the cultural fabric for so long that they've become an architectural idiom.

Certainly they DO seve a security purpose, no doubt. But they become more than just safety. Like guilt for not wearing a seat belt when a drive just across a parking lot, locals can't imagine a house without them...just because.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

11. Likes cbmitch9, nomadamericana liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Again,comparing a specific city to an entire country. Generally,people don't have bars on their windows and doors in the U.S. or Canada yet generally,in the DR they do,there is a reason for that and the reason is generally the DR is much less safe than the U.S. and Canada.
    Seems you haven't been to many places in the DR. In the southwest part of the DR many of the houses and businesses are of wood construction. Some have bars but most don't. Even in Jarabacoa many of the older structure have no bars. When my wife was a kid only the rich locked their doors.

13. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Its my understanding that the wrought iron work on homes in the DR is a decoration. Any Dominican thief worth his salt can open the bars in under a minute using his Toyota scissor jack. Dominicans think they look nice on a home. All I know is what my wife told me. She added them to our house and I thought the same, good protection.

What nonsense. Yes, they can be rather easy opened but it slows down the thief. No bars is like leaving the door wide open. Bars is at least making it a bit an effort to get in. 

I haven't heard any Dominican saying they like bars on their windows.

15. Likes Africaida liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Seems you haven't been to many places in the DR. In the southwest part of the DR many of the houses and businesses are of wood construction. Some have bars but most don't. Even in Jarabacoa many of the older structure have no bars. When my wife was a kid only the rich locked their doors.
    Many of the houses in my old neighborhood of Villa Ofelia in San Juan de la Maguana didn't have bars on the doors and windows. A 6 foot sliding gate for the driveway for most, but that was it. Not totally enclosed like a Supermax prison. The neighborhood was also 99% Dominican.

17. Likes bob saunders liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast