DR1 needs your help!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What would be really helpful is some feedback on what we can do to improve the site?

What additional sections would you like to see?
What features can we add to improve the site?

Without your feedback, it's down to the combined creative powers of Dolores and myself. Yeah I know, don't even bother to comment on that.

Seriously, it would be very much appreciated if we could get some feedback and some suggestions.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps an area for us "extraneros" to discuss how to deal with the bureaucracy especially in such a "corrupt" environment as exists in the DR.
I could site hundreds of examples (but won't!)
It could be an area to discuss such things as electricity bills (charging $600 pesos a month when NOT in the country), how to deal with obtaining credits or what avenues to persue before leaving the country so things like the telephone will not be cut while you are gone, etc.
Also perhaps an area for those living in the country to discuss ways of aiding the poor (for example I know of one religious organization with 1/2 million $US of medical equipment & supplies that can't bring them in because they don't have transport of funding to pay import duties) or how to procede to effect change in the bureaucracy to make the governing parties more accountable to the Dominican voter.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MommC...

We have, it's called the "Living" section. This is for everything related to living in the Dominican Republic.

Feel free to post away!

Thanks for the feedback.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Link to home page

Robert,

A link to go back to the main page when you are in the forums. Where the d is red, r is blue and 1 is white. top left of the page, before travel, business, living etc

i think many of us have clicked on that once in a while to go to the home page.

that would help.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
missing_dr...

I made the DR1 logo linkable. The "Home" graphic on the top right also takes you back to the home page.

Keep em coming!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bring back golo.
A section for the girly stuff, ex:threads like: things you would like to do, if you could go back in time, favorite soap operas, cute military guys, music etc.

A section for the tough guys: all down and dirty.

Spy4U

Jan 30, 2002
More pictures

I recomend decoreting the home page with some pictures of our beaches , this site is becoming one of the most visited by foreigners seeking info on the island..
I recently recomended this page to a couple of friends and although they were thankfull for the info found it struck them not to find a more tropical deocorated page..

Regards,

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Good Idea-Pictures!

It would make the site more welcoming.....
And if someone could tell me how a I have pic's of the fire tonight at Bar Boulevard in Juan D"olio!
Too bad.....it was almost like a landmark. One of the first nice bars in the "new" section of Juan D'Olio.......
Hope they were insured and can get bacdk to business soon.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Robert how about a chat room. I used to enjoyed the couple of hours on a Sunday night. Was it canceled for lack of participants?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AZB,I,ll show you mine,if you,ll show me yours!!

(E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT IT!!)...Post your email address.I,ll sent you an email so offensive you will become a heterosexual!!!!!!Point being;You(and some others) only want to post"Down & Dirty" on a "Public Forum" because you get a thrill,like an "Exhibitionist" gets when he "Exposes" himself in public!If this were not the case you could email each other and really get,"Down-and-Dirty" as you called it!Criss Colon

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anna Coniglio...

It's something we have played with a few times in the past, with limited success. Maybe we will try and resurrect it at sometime in the future.

If your willing to take the reins and organize the chats.
I'm willing to open up a chat room???

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I'd like to be able to click on "view new posts" and get the actual text of just the posts I haven't read. Right now, I don't get the text. I get the threads - a bunch of links to click, and then once the thread comes up, I have to click again to get to the "first unread post" if I actually want to read the new posts.

Even better would be an "in print form" option so after all the posts come up, I can print them in one shot. Then, I can read them when I'm not in front of the computer.

The forum needs more options in the "since" selection. Such as "all posts older than 64 hours".

What is the name of the software that this board uses?

I wish the screen would expand to fill my screen edge-to-edge like other web sites. I have my display set at a high resolution for a reason. Here, I'm stuck reading a narrow strip down the middle of my screen.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Two items:

1. I've found that if I respond to a posting on list of those not yet seen by me that I can't easily get back to the list of unseen postings. I have to go back to the initial forum page and call up the list of unseen postings again. I'd like to be able to post and return immediately to the unseen list to see if there is anything else that I should respond to.

2. Regarding request for suggestions, what is your primary objective: to provide a source of informed information to people with questions about the DR, or to provide a playground for insiders? If it is, as I think it is, the latter, I believe the new board is much better than the old. Some fotos would be a good idea, but otherwise I wouldn't change much.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
EXCUSE ME!!!! I MEANT TO WRITE FORMER, NOT LATTER. I DON'T THINK PRESENT FORUM IS A SANDBOX FOR INSIDERS.

Jim

Jim Hinsch said:
I'd like to be able to click on "view new posts" and get the actual text of just the posts I haven't read. Right now, I don't get the text. I get the threads - a bunch of links to click, and then once the thread comes up, I have to click again to get to the "first unread post" if I actually want to read the new posts.

Even better would be an "in print form" option so after all the posts come up, I can print them in one shot. Then, I can read them when I'm not in front of the computer.

The forum needs more options in the "since" selection. Such as "all posts older than 64 hours".

What is the name of the software that this board uses?

I wish the screen would expand to fill my screen edge-to-edge like other web sites. I have my display set at a high resolution for a reason. Here, I'm stuck reading a narrow strip down the middle of my screen.
I get view new post and they come up.

64 or 72 hours would be great, I think it would just have to be archived.

I am running a 19 inch screen and I get a full screen using 800 x 600 with 32 bit colour

Another thing is quotes will not allow you to add additional text without reediting after????

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I like it...

Jim:
Such as "all posts older than 64 hours".
In the profile you can change this default option.

"in print form"
I like that idea, I'll see if I can get it to happen.

The site is optimized for 800x600 browser resolution.

Ken:
1. Use your back button, the only way right now.
2. We aim to be the best online resource relating to the Dominican Republic.
We still have a way to go, but I think we are heading in the right direction.

Hlywud:
I'm working on the quote problem, just about to update the software to solve this issue.

I noted down all the board suggestions and will look into adding some of the requested features, software permitting.

Keep the feedback coming, it helps us to provide you with a better resource.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jim...

At the bottom is an icon and link

[ Show a Printable Version ]

This allows you to display a printable version of the thread.

Is that what your talking about?

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Carefull Criss

He who sits in a glass house should not throw with rocks!!

But you bring up an interesting point. A bit of exhibitionism is in the
nature of posting on an public forum and might not be such a bad thing
if done in good taste.

Regards X.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
rob, my request would be that it be possible to do an archive search by user name. it was possible on the old board, and the search page here is set up such that one would believe you still could.

i believe that jim would like to print only the new posts to each thread, not the entire thread, as a group. quite often i find that i must log off while in the middle of reading all the new posts. when i have time to log back in again the new post listing has been updated so the only option is to search through each forum to figure out which threads i have not read. the old board with its highlighted red (read) messages was certainly a more friendly format to obsessive-compulsive people....like me!

i like the lock thread feature, and would hope that you never use the delete button. if people say something they must be accountable for it. deleting just wipes out their responsibilities.

as for the website itself, definitely the additions to the pictures page would help people get a better feel for the country.

for the life of me, though, i can't figure out the links page and its rating system.

mob