do you know this fruit?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the tree it grows on is huge, bigger than old mango trees in costambar. it's green when on the tree, falls off when brown. inside it looks very much like a fig and it parts easily as it is soft, just like ripe fig. i do not see anyone collect the fruits tho.
i could not get a good shot of the tree but here's the fruit. the size is somewhere between 5 and 10 peso coin.

33lfhw4.jpg

does anyone know what tree/fruit is that? edible?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does not look like mamon/lemoncillo to me. And neither does it look like a granadillo since it is round in shape. I did a "Google image search" and that turned up that it was a "plant". They need to work on that search engine a bit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from the page you linked it looks more like jagua on the outside but insides are different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not mamon/lemoncillo. there are trees of that in costambar too and the fruits looks different plus people pick them up.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Looks like a jagua to me. Make juice from it and if it tastes disgusting it is a jagua.

Matilda

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Looks like a jagua to me. Make juice from it and if it tastes disgusting it is a jagua.

Matilda

Lol.. Gaby said this is what they feed the pigs in the Campo. The kids also use the huge leaves from the tree to sit on and slide down the hill on them. Dominican sledding I guess..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not granadilla, the tree is gigantic and it does not have the flowers like passion fruit type of plants.

the tree does not have huge leaves, they are roughly the same size as those of a large mango tree.

i heard that jagua tastes disgusting so i tasted one of the mysterious fruits in the name of science. it ain't good. kind of like something a bit rotten.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
... I think I have one of those in the front of house... big tree, with big leaves....those round things are falling all over the ground now....asked a chica fren what they are, she said not sure, people think they are no good , nobody whats....

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
the tree it grows on is huge, bigger than old mango trees in costambar. it's green when on the tree, falls off when brown. inside it looks very much like a fig and it parts easily as it is soft, just like ripe fig. i do not see anyone collect the fruits tho.
i could not get a good shot of the tree but here's the fruit. the size is somewhere between 5 and 10 peso coin.

33lfhw4.jpg

does anyone know what tree/fruit is that? edible?
it looks like fig

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not nispero. i know nispero. it's also disgusting but in a different way. and looks different on the inside.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I dislike fresh figs but love dried figs.

We recently sold our home in NJ, and it broke my heart to leave our big fig tree behind.

We've bought several varieties of fig trees in different Bani viveros, the only place we've found them.  My inlaws grew figs on their Ocoa finca, but they were not tasty at all, what a disappointment. They did resemble dv8s photo, but were larger than a 5-10 peso coin, plus fig trees have large leaves.