Refrigerator... Invertor Type

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My 'fridge is acting up... may be fixable, maybe not.

If it needs replacing, I'll be going low voltage Invertor type....
and might buy here in RD.

I rarely do major appliances here.
Where would people suggest?

Thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Welcome home...and the list of things "to-do" begins. I'll be following this thread carefully, I need a new fridge too.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We bought a Mabe recently (spare the" maybe it will work maybe it won't comments" , folks) It's manufactured in Mexico precisely for the erratic electricity found in the islands and Central America. So far its performing well and actually saving on our electrical usage. Be sure to ask for the frost free model as they sell both and look the same. It had an odd rotating ice tray rack which is easy to remove if freezer space is desired.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in puerto plata you can try corripio (city centre, down the street from cathedral) or la sirena.
in santiago la sirena, plaza lama, radiocentro, ochoa.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Bought an inverter type samsung,- they were available in Pricemart, Molina and Corripio in Santiago but we ended up buying it at Ochoa.  All had a similar looking models at hugely different prices.  When we looked closely,- there were differences in sizes and interior fittings .  Had to buy a separate pump to get water from a 5gallon bottle to the ice maker. Our old fridge was also samsung but tiny compared to this one.  Have no capability to measure consumption.  We are into year 3,- love this fridge!

We are solar only so no need to worry about erratic electricity.   

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
My 'fridge is acting up... may be fixable, maybe not.

If it needs replacing, I'll be going low voltage Invertor type....
and might buy here in RD.

I rarely do major appliances here.
Where would people suggest?

Thanks

90% chance its power supply and fixable..when you leave DR in your travels unplug and  leave open doors voltage spikes probably took toll :(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pulvarik, that's great thanks

Great life.... maybe it's just freon , let's hope so.
And I'm Solar so the power is quite steady  But I LOVE appliance shopping....

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Bought an inverter type samsung,- they were available in Pricemart, Molina and Corripio in Santiago but we ended up buying it at Ochoa.  All had a similar looking models at hugely different prices.  When we looked closely,- there were differences in sizes and interior fittings .  Had to buy a separate pump to get water from a 5gallon bottle to the ice maker. Our old fridge was also samsung but tiny compared to this one.  Have no capability to measure consumption.  We are into year 3,- love this fridge!

My understanding was that the biggest problem with solar was that it is sooooo erratic. NO?
Der Fish

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Derf…  in our solar setup we also have pure sine wave inverters.  really smooth delivery,- no whine in the fans or other appliances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The last refrigerator I purchased was from the HH Gregg in the US. Even after importing costs it was considerably less than purchasing it here. It is a two door bottom freezer Whirlpool with ice and water maker and added an external pump to supply the water from 5 gallon bottles. It is a far better refrigerator than any "Ma(y)be" and is rather efficient on energy. (Sorry Abuela! Just kidding.)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I've got the business card of the guy who imports and repairs those pumps.

They're really expensive, so being able to get them repaired is a major win.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have this system for our fridge:
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-BW502...&qid=1498754494&sr=8-3&keywords=flojet+bottle
when you think that it replaces water cooler and ice maker it does not seem that pricey.

in any case, we imported amana fridge. similar to this one but with water dispenser inside:
https://www.amazon.com/Amana-ABB222...8&qid=1498754711&sr=8-1&keywords=amana+fridge

we have it hooked to 5 gallon bottles for cold water and for ice making. it is connected to inversor and works without any issues.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
we have this system for our fridge:
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-BW502...&qid=1498754494&sr=8-3&keywords=flojet+bottle
when you think that it replaces water cooler and ice maker it does not seem that pricey.

in any case, we imported amana fridge. similar to this one but with water dispenser inside:
https://www.amazon.com/Amana-ABB222...8&qid=1498754711&sr=8-1&keywords=amana+fridge

we have it hooked to 5 gallon bottles for cold water and for ice making. it is connected to inversor and works without any issues.

The guy I'm talking about imports the Flojets here. That's the one I have as well.