Getting to know you by your sneakers

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A feature in Listín Diario, published on 27 June 2017, observes that many young people involved in the world of crime wear status symbols such as brand name sneakers, baseball hats and other expensive items. The reporters say that when identifying crime suspects, the Police are taking notice of what people are wearing, especially when they seem to be far too expensive for the family or the individual’s income.

It turns out that the Police have set profiles of what many criminals wear. These profiles make it more likely a person may be detained and questioned, especially in the poorer neighborhoods.

The most popular sneakers are the brands of Jordan, Nike, Adidas, Reebok and Puma, with Jordan being the most popular with prices from RD$11,000 up to RD$25,000. A Jordan baseball cap costs from RD$1,500 to RD$3,500. In addition to expensive sneakers and baseball caps, the police are on the lookout for tattoos, unusual haircuts, and the use certain street slang. A young person could spend upwards of RD$50,000 to achieve that total urban mod look.

The feature says that store vendors never ask where the customer got the money to be able to afford the expensive goods.

http://listindiario.com/la-republica...status-barrial

This just backs up a point I made in another thread recently. PN are complete cukfnig muppets. Setting profiles based on what people wear? Wow, what a genius idea. Ever heard of remittances? What do they think these people do with that money, buy stock? Not to meantion the FACT almost everything stores sell in this country
is cheap chinese knock-offs, not the original. I had to laugh after reading this article though... Their dress code description matches almost all Dominican males under the age of 25. Sounds like the PN has their work cut out
for them, eh Southy?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I remember when Ernesto Fadul was head Interior y Policía, he was interviewed and he mention the 'science' of facial characteristics for identifying people that are likely to commit a crime. The interviewer interrupted him to say that science has been proven to be wrong and Fadul interrupted by repeating two or three times that the science has been questioned by some but not discarded.

Perhaps clothing isn't the only thing they are noticing.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
A feature in Listín Diario, published on 27 June 2017, observes that many young people involved in the world of crime wear status symbols such as brand name sneakers, baseball hats and other expensive items. The reporters say that when identifying crime suspects, the Police are taking notice of what people are wearing, especially when they seem to be far too expensive for the family or the individual’s income.

It turns out that the Police have set profiles of what many criminals wear. These profiles make it more likely a person may be detained and questioned, especially in the poorer neighborhoods.

The most popular sneakers are the brands of Jordan, Nike, Adidas, Reebok and Puma, with Jordan being the most popular with prices from RD$11,000 up to RD$25,000. A Jordan baseball cap costs from RD$1,500 to RD$3,500. In addition to expensive sneakers and baseball caps, the police are on the lookout for tattoos, unusual haircuts, and the use certain street slang. A young person could spend upwards of RD$50,000 to achieve that total urban mod look.

The feature says that store vendors never ask where the customer got the money to be able to afford the expensive goods.

This just backs up a point I made in another thread recently. PN are complete cukfnig muppets. Setting profiles based on what people wear? Wow, what a genius idea. Ever heard of remittances? What do they think these people do with that money, buy stock? Not to meantion the FACT almost everything stores sell in this country
is cheap chinese knock-offs, not the original. I had to laugh after reading this article though... Their dress code description matches almost all Dominican males under the age of 25. Sounds like the PN has their work cut out
for them, eh Southy?

But what happens when a kid in the barrio has gold fronts?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I'm sorry. "Fronts" are so old school. Now, they're called "Grillz".
[video=youtube;cQBUmiWd5Cg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBUmiWd5Cg[/video]

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Rest assured...
We can all sleep a little better at night now that Barney Fife is on the case.
I swear, you couldn't make this stuff up :laugh::laugh::laugh:

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
People have been profiled for a century. I tell people here if they want to accomplish anything business related ( cedula,banking, any significant transaction) wear dress pants, dress shirt and a tie. If you show up wearing flip flops and a sports Jersey you will be treated like you are being inconsiderate which you are. Like wise in the states if you are hanging out dressed like a gangster you will be treated in kind. Right or wrong dressing matters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i loved the article when i read it few days ago. next thing you know PN will be measuring heads with calipers in an attempt at tropical phrenology.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Then again, on the other hand, what kind of sneakers is Felix Bautista wearing? ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I remember when Ernesto Fadul was head Interior y Policía, he was interviewed and he mention the 'science' of facial characteristics for identifying people that are likely to commit a crime. The interviewer interrupted him to say that science has been proven to be wrong and Fadul interrupted by repeating two or three times that the science has been questioned by some but not discarded.

Perhaps clothing isn't the only thing they are noticing.

NALS

Physiognomy is the word you want....

https://www.google.com.do/search?q=...ome..69i57.24028j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

for them, eh Southy?

I'm giving up my Jordans for just a plain pair of Adidas'. Oh, also I will stop wearing the big gold chain. Hope I am not a target of profiling. Anyone know where I can get a tatoo removed?