Video: How to Rejuvenate the Faded Black Plastics on Your Car

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In another thread, we discussed how the humidity & salt water near the coasts can play havoc on many home system, hassles that are just a byproduct of living in Paradise.

Andother issue is the damage the sun can play on the black plastics of vehicles, so prevalent on bumpers and other exterior parts.

Beyond our cars, I've had a problem on my fleet of 9 2008 V-Strom DL650's: the large plastic rear fenders have become gray with oxidation and just look old.

I've tried numerous chemicals and they just don't do a good enough job on a long-term basis.

So I came across a solution of using heat to rejunivate these plastic parts, so I thought I'd give it a try. See for yourself how it worked out after some trial and error:

[video=vimeo;216919346]https://vimeo.com/216919346[/video]

I'm very pleased with the outcome, and at a very modest cost. Maybe this method may work for you...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....good video..... after the heat treatment we used to spray on a thin coat of clear.....lasts longer......

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
....good video..... after the heat treatment we used to spray on a thin coat of clear.....lasts longer......

Do you use the Flexible Additive .. ? I think i remember having to add that , long time ago when I tried to paint some car parts .. did not turn out so well though.. Orange peel everywhere .. but the paint did stay on..for long time .. that was when you could walk into a Auto paint store and just buy stuff over the counter .. No Permits , Lic, nothing... Those were the days ..