processing raw cashews

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so the season has started and we are collecting lots of cashews these days. i clean, cut and freeze fruits to make dulce de cajuil later. in the past we used to give nuts away but i want to roast them myself this year.

i found that the should be roasted on a layer of sand to extract the oil first. then taken out of the sand and washed. finally the shell can be cracked and the nut roasted again.

did anyone try processing raw cashews before? any tips? i don't know whether it's better to use construction sand or maybe beach sand?

thanks.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I remember roasting Cashews as a kid and we had always used beach sand. Processing raw cashews ain't easy.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
My father used reg sand for cashews it was for even cooking ...I have also seen a popcorn maker used with good results :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, guys. i will try and let you know how it goes. the info i have says to bury the nuts in the sand during initial roasting so that the oils get absorbed and seep into the sand and do not bubble up and spray around the oven. i think i will have to use one of those single use aluminium pans then.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as per this advice: http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Cashew/CashewProcessing7-83.htm
i roasted the nuts in sand for 20 minutes. little oil came out. allrighty. i washed them and cracked one open out of curiosity. first, they don't crack easily. second, all that caustic oil came out on my hands. neat.

now i feel like lord finchley:
Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

maybe i should give the nuts to someone else to roast 'em. :hurt: