Folks, I have let my passport expire.
Where do I go to get it renewed?

POP or Santo Domingo.??

Much appreciated, all your imput.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Last I heard, POP was possible again.Alexandra will know for sure. My last info is :

U.S. Consular Agency Puerto Plata
Villanueva Street at the corner of John F. Kennedy Ave.
Abraxa Bookstore Bldg., 2nd. Floor
Alexandra - Secretary
Telephone Number: (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023
Fax: (809) 586-8015
E-Mail: acssantodom@state.gov

Two 2X2 front color photos
Old Passport
$110 US

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just US of A

Oh shoot! Just Santo Domingo???

Thanks all for the answers and information. Big Abrazos.
HB :(

Oct 11, 2010
Unfortunately, for now, just Santo Domingo.

Remember to bring with you:

Old Passport AND A COPY of the bio page.

Two 2" x 2" front view passport photos (white or off white background only).

Passport Renewal Form DS-82, COMPLETED ON-LINE and then printed out (they will not accept forms filled out by hand).
Also DO NOT SIGN IT, you will sign and date it before a consular agent. Link for the form below.
https://pptform.state.gov/?Submit2=Complete+Online+&+Print

Current photo identification: (Cedula, Driver's License).

$110 renewal fee plus $16 if you want the passport delivered to your home.

Here's the link for the on-line appointment system, it's busy, you may be waiting until August.
https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=SDO&appcode=1

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Last I heard, POP was possible again.Alexandra will know for sure. My last info is :

U.S. Consular Agency Puerto Plata
Villanueva Street at the corner of John F. Kennedy Ave.
Abraxa Bookstore Bldg., 2nd. Floor
Alexandra - Secretary
Telephone Number: (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023
Fax: (809) 586-8015
E-Mail: acssantodom@state.gov

Two 2X2 front color photos
Old Passport
$110 US

She was very helpful when I renewed mine back in 2014.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I did mine in POP, quick, easy and they hand delivered the passport to Jarabacoa...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The reason I ask is because others are saying it can only be done in SD now so we wouldn't want poor HB traveling to POP for nada. ;)
I'm relatively certain that Hillbilly know how to use a phone.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Side note-  the website stated the same about notarizing documents in PP back in May (not possible, only SD).  I made the phone call to PP anyway and they accommodated the very next morning.  

One for the 'win' column here. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hahahaha Anna 

Poor HB...
. I bet HB navigates the country and system better than most

Not a struggling soul from what I know...

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Unfortunately, for now, just Santo Domingo.

Remember to bring with you:

Old Passport AND A COPY of the bio page.

Two 2" x 2" front view passport photos (white or off white background only).

Passport Renewal Form DS-82, COMPLETED ON-LINE and then printed out (they will not accept forms filled out by hand).
Also DO NOT SIGN IT, you will sign and date it before a consular agent. Link for the form below.
https://pptform.state.gov/?Submit2=Complete+Online+&+Print

Current photo identification: (Cedula, Driver's License).

$110 renewal fee plus $16 if you want the passport delivered to your home.

Here's the link for the on-line appointment system, it's busy, you may be waiting until August.
https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=SDO&appcode=1

As of last month when renewing... things have changed.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
As of 2 months ago. You need an appointment either in POP consulate or S.D. embassy. Call first to get one. They can tell you what papers and photos you need. POP moved appointments to SD for 7 AM so a whole lot of travel changes needed. No parking at the embassy so car a block away. No photo equipment allowed thus no cell phones/etc. so had to go around block to drop off cell phone. Return and done in 20 mins. Passport delivered at door 14 days later with quick service.

It changes all the time. What worked in 2014 does not work now and what worked last month... may not work now.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks: especially NY-DR Commuter and Santiago DR, I wish to thak you most kindly.

Since things have changes so radically since last issued, all this new-fangled stuff sort of took me by surprise.

Like CB, I was sort of used to dropping off the old book and getting a new one, lickity-split. But no longer.

I was able to get an appointment on the 24 of this month at 8 a.m.

Got the forms all filled out and will get some nice photos made up at Studio A here in Santiago. Is that acceptable, or do they still have those places near the consulate, like in the old days, that do the photos???

Anyway, the deal in POP is that there is no Consular Agent. So there is a job up for grabs. It has been two months and nothing is in sight. Alexandra continues to run the place like always.

Once again thank you all for that really good information and all of the links to the right websites!! It was easy-peasy getting it done.

I think I will bus to Santo Domingo on Sunday, find a place to stay and then Uber over to the consulate early a.m. (now if I can just find my old crossword files..jejeje)

Cordially,

HB

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Be sure you realize they will not let you bring in a cellphone or any other electronics. Recently our neighbor went for his passport and found a store nearby with a sign that says they can hold your phone. He reluctantly did so and for 100 pesos he got his phone back with no issues after conducting his renewal business at the embassy.