Staying with Dominican friends - need gift ideas

MissOhio

Jul 11, 2017
So, I'm heading back to Dominican Republic and this time, I'm staying with two friends - both of them are from DR, male and female roommates (not a couple) and in their late 20s/30s. We all are close and like to have a good time. I'm wondering, as I haven't spent too much time shopping on my few short trips there in the past, are there any modest gift ideas that are no-brainers to bring from the US? I'm not thinking anything extravagant - maybe certain types of liquor that might be difficult to come across there - or I don't know... I'm really coming up short brainstorming ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would bring anything that they can use everyday in their apartment. A wireless speaker would also be nice. If they are beach people a nice beach bag or beach towels. Something practical that may be expensive in the DR and you can easily transport.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whiskey is always nice. dominicans like their johnny walker. maybe some chocolate truffles.
wireless speaker is not a bad idea but i think it can generate issues of i-want-it-in-MY-room or -i-need-it-now-go-away. unless you bring one for each.
if you know their sizes, get a piece of clothing for each, nice t-shirt or something like that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Makeup, moisturizing lotions, aftershave balms or splash.

Failing that, just ask them, I'm sure they will tell you what they would like to have.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Johnny Walker is available on every corner of the street in the DR.
If they like whiskey try a single malt , a Glennfiddich for example.

MissOhio

Jul 11, 2017
Awesome ideas, thank you everyone! :) I do know that Carlos likes Johnny Walker, so scotch could be an easy win. What about Kentucky bourbon? Is a nice bourbon difficult to come across in DR?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Als you Bourbon has a real different taste, I wouldnt buy it. Johnny Walker is available in most colmados might not be impressive. A brand not offense seen here would be better. 
Glennfiddich, very smooth neutral
Highland Park
Or a Ballantines 12 years.

Anything that's not JW or Dewar's or Chivas.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For the girl, some Bath and Body Works shower gel, lotion, etc., is always popular. For the guy, whatever brand tshirt he likes, Under Armor, Hollister, etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can you bring me some bourbon while you're at it? ;)

i think that good "wiki" is a waste on most dominicans as they would drink it with coca cola or sprite. so do not go expensive route on that one.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

i think that good "wiki" is a waste on most dominicans as they would drink it with coca cola or sprite. so do not go expensive route on that one.

I'll bring you some to trade for some good rum :)

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....watches from the US are always welcome....easy to carry...not that expensive, just ask the people what style they like.....

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Or apple juice. With my own eyes. Johnny Oscar Black.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
So, I'm heading back to Dominican Republic and this time, I'm staying with two friends - both of them are from DR, male and female roommates (not a couple) and in their late 20s/30s. We all are close and like to have a good time. I'm wondering, as I haven't spent too much time shopping on my few short trips there in the past, are there any modest gift ideas that are no-brainers to bring from the US? I'm not thinking anything extravagant - maybe certain types of liquor that might be difficult to come across there - or I don't know... I'm really coming up short brainstorming ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Modest gift. The fluffy robes would be a big hit but can get expensive. Liquor?... They can buy just about any thing here in the D.R. and may not like what you bring.

How about you take them out to dinner. A nice place that everyone can enjoy and you do it together. Cocktails, dinner, maybe some music and dancing... all three of you. Best times and memories are those spent together.

Good luck.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I find bedding and other domestics to be very expensive and poor quality in the dr. For the girl a nice sheet set and for rnthe dude matching towel set?  Marshalls or tjmaxx quality would be fine French linen compared with the crapppola in the store there. 

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Something that represents the place you come from - crafts, food/drink, sports team merchandise.