Car export question

EphraimH

Jul 12, 2017
I know that the topic of importing a car to the DR has been discussed at length. My question though is about export. If I move to the DR for 2 or 3 years and bring a car with me, how hard is it to take the car with me again when I leave.
I ask because I am talking about a specialty vehicle. This would be a Sportsmobile camper van worth a lot of money.
TIA.

Jan 7, 2016
Be prepared to pay a HIGH Import Duty of an expensive vehicle, which still has to be LESS THAN 5 years old. I don't know what your home country would charge you on re-importation of the vehicle--it varies from country to country. The shipping costs, alone, round trip would be astronomical on a camper van, due to the height of the vehicle and length of the vehicle. After living here for a while, the vehicle probably wouldn't be worth returning to your home country. The rust alone would be unbelievable.

EphraimH

Jul 12, 2017
I have already considered everything you are mentioning. I am just trying to get more detailed info. Like, what is the cost to bring a car back to the US. it's country of origin. I know people that tour the world by vehicle all the time. Getting their rigs in and out of country is neither difficult nor expensive. I am wondering if it makes a difference if I am not bringing the vehicle on a permanent basis.

Jan 9, 2004
I have already considered everything you are mentioning. I am just trying to get more detailed info. Like, what is the cost to bring a car back to the US. it's country of origin. I know people that tour the world by vehicle all the time. Getting their rigs in and out of country is neither difficult nor expensive. I am wondering if it makes a difference if I am not bringing the vehicle on a permanent basis.

Paperwork from the government (DR) allowing you to ship the car out (time and cost unknown).

Shipping, insurance, customs inspection costs/certifications. Transport to your final destination. Applying for title and possibly paying sales tax again unless you receive a waiver or can show prior sales tax payment (assuming you are going back to the same state from which the car is now registered).

It makes no difference to the government whether the car will be here for one month or eternity. The only exception is bringing a car over on the Ferry as a short term visitor that is registered/titled in Puerto Rico.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bringing such an expensive vehicle into the DR is going to cost you. Just a rough guess of bringing it in will be about 40% of the vehicle's cost. Cost of the vehicle is determined by the DR Customs department and not what it really costs. Maybe even a higher percentage if the value assigned by customs is high enough to be considered a luxury vehicle, which does sound like the case. They will not care if it is only for one day.

I don't think anyone here will be able to help much regarding the costs of returning the vehicle home. I have never heard of anyone doing so.

Good suggestion is to investigate the Ferry trip from Puerto Rico if that makes any sense in your case. Probably not.