Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Sickness - Food poisoning??

Hello,

I have been to the DR many times and have never been sick.

A friend of mine has just returned from the Coral Marien in Puerto Plata and is really sick.

The doctor is pretty sure it is food poisoning.

I am looking at going to this hotel for my honeymoon and was wondering if anyone else has been ill from this hotel or hotels in the area?

Thanks,
    Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you can pinpoint just what was eaten, and more importantly, where it was eaten, it is very tough to say.

Food poisoning is vary rare. However, serious illness can result from improper storage of seafood or meat products. While rare, this does happen, here, there or anywhere.

If you plan well and make your wishes clear to the Food & Beverage Manager as soon as you arrive, I am sure that you will have the mos memporable of vacations/honeymoons...

I do not think I would change plans due to one incident...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of additional recommendations:

1. Don't buy food from street vendors no matter how good it smells/looks. Some of these vendors continue to use oil after it has gone bad and this can cause a bad case of stomach upset.

2. A good many hotels, especially the all inclusive, rely heavily on buffets. Use the same precautions you would at a picnic. Some foods, such as mayonese, don't withstand exposure and heat. Unless you are one of the early eaters, I'd stay away from foods that can spoil if not properly refrigerated at all times.

3. Avoid salads unless certain proper precautions have been taken in washing the ingredients. By proper I mean washed in purified water.

4. All meats should be well cooked. If you prefer medium rare, wait until you get back home.

5. Don't drink the water out of the faucet unless it is treated.

6. Avoid ice that isn't prepared comercially.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the DR1 Travel Health Page at http://dr1.com/travel/prepare/health.shtml

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dont drink the water!

Another piece of advice - I got sick once from ingesting sea water at El Moro beach in the national park in Monte Cristi. A big wave came by and took me under and i gasped and took in a lot of sea water and was quite sick a la food poisoning later. It may just be that happens with any sea water, and i have swam there since with no problems at all, but i know other people that had the same problem, so be careful with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Hello,
    Thank you everyone for your information.
    I have always been careful when I travel and will continue to do so.
    Thanks for the tips and advice.
    Kathy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about sea water sickness or food poisoning, but getting sick while staying at all-inclusives in the Dominican Republic is definitely NOT rare. In fact it is COMMON.

Anybody who doubts this hasn't paid attention to the news over the past few years. It got so bad at one point that tour operators were cancelling the destination and sometimes more than half a resort was sick at the same time.

I can't speculate as to the cause any better than the next guy, but it has nothing to do with too much sun or too many pina coladas. Could be the food, could be bad ice, could be old juice, could be the spreading of excrements on the landscaping as part of "recycling", ... who knows.

I've been sick in the DR just 2 times in over 100 DR trips. Both were at all-inclusives (Melia All Suiites and Bavaro Beach Palace). Most of my trips are not at all-inclusives.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jim hinsch

I had been many times in those AI resorts you mentioned and never been even close to get sick.
    The only time i got sick was at the Costalunga in boca chica, it wasnt the food, but it was the enviroment. too many prostitutes and low class tourists around.
    JH . REMEMBER THIS PLACE IS TO INFORM. If you dont get free stay at AI resort in Punta Cana you better keep your cheap comments to yourself.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default VERY SICK

I returned home from the LTI on Sunday March the 3rd? I believe it was the thrid. I became extremely ill on the 28th and still am very very very sick. I have lost 12 pounds in 11 days. Make sure your friend has a parasite test. I still am not sure exactly what the problem is in my case, expecting more clear results tomorrow. I did not eat anything outside of the resort.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: El Unico - just what was reported in many places, I give the sources

You never got sick, I did. Neither means a thing statistically.

Fact: In the recent past few years, there were an abnormal number of tourists getting sick at many of the big AI's. It was in the papers, discussed to death here on the forum, and there are tons of reports on Debbie's Dominican page. Many tour operators in England cancelled. It cost DR tourism a lot of money.

It was also reported that many resorts cleaned up their food handling procedures and less people are getting sick. Many tour operators have since added the DR as a destination again.

Make of it what you will.

Originally posted by John, El único
    I had been many times in those AI resorts you mentioned and never been even close to get sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast