Ultralight Aircraft communities/strips

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
i did a search and the hits were old, like 2004.

Would like to know if there are any ultralighters out there flying in DR. Where? any private flying communities?.

I built a Challenger II 10 years a go and sold it. Would live to get a single seater/UL to fly around in DR when i move there. I know some folks in the US build homes around little grass strips and fly. Wondering if anything like this in DR.

Tx

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...I have never seen one in DR...did my training in USA on a Quicksilver mx, love to fly one again.. count me in if you find any.....Doc.......

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Good luck. There are few, if any, and far between. I knew a guy who flew an UL out of a crop dusting strip near SFM but he crashed. There are a few para-motors here and there but they don't require much of a strip. The airport in Constanza is too high and windy.

There is a semi-abandoned airport in Las Terrenas but it doesn't look operational.

Maybe somebody else can help more.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go for the para motor....easy and fun.

I did a lot of research on them, but never got off the ground..... as they say.
Hahaha

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
A couple of years ago I met a pair of ladies who referred to themslves as B & B one was named Brenda and the other Beth or it may have been Beth and Becky. BUt B and B is what thye wanted to be called. They flew into POP by commercial flight and said they'd just bought a 2 seater ultralight in S Car and were researching flying it down to the DR along the string of Bahamas. I never heard form them again and they promised to call when they arrove, so maybe they stayed in S Car. I don't know
Der Fish

May 5, 2007
A couple of years ago I met a pair of ladies who referred to themslves as B & B one was named Brenda and the other Beth or it may have been Beth and Becky. BUt B and B is what thye wanted to be called. They flew into POP by commercial flight and said they'd just bought a 2 seater ultralight in S Car and were researching flying it down to the DR along the string of Bahamas. I never heard form them again and they promised to call when they arrove, so maybe they stayed in S Car. I don't know
Der Fish

I recall you talking about that Fish, and inquiring for them about feasibility etc I think I told you to tell them to forget trying to fly it from States and to crate it up and ship it Never heard any further

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Der Fish

I recall you talking about that Fish, and inquiring for them about feasibility etc I think I told you to tell them to forget trying to fly it from States and to crate it up and ship it Never heard any further

It´s possible.

Back in the early 90´s when I first started coming to the D.R. I met a guy on the road up to the cable car in P.O.P. and he was telling me how he flew his ultralight down here from the States.

I honestly thought that was insane (I´m not a flier btw).

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i did a search and the hits were old, like 2004.

Would like to know if there are any ultralighters out there flying in DR. Where? any private flying communities?.

I built a Challenger II 10 years a go and sold it. Would live to get a single seater/UL to fly around in DR when i move there. I know some folks in the US build homes around little grass strips and fly. Wondering if anything like this in DR.

Tx
Well, there is this guy in PC.. you're in the Caribbean. Things can be a little different here.
[video]https://www.google.com.ai/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTyGLhwVHOY0&ved=0ahUKEwi2_Mj-3ZLVAhVH5yYKHSgYAM4QwqsBCB0wAA&usg=AFQjCNFVG_sY1VrX4T9vh8Py4VbYsb3JdQ[/video]

Last edited:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....remember wind is important, with ultra lights...flying from the Usa to the DR, Insane...by law to be a ultralight you can only carry a small amount of gas...doubt if it ever happened.....Doc.....

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Well, there is this guy in PC.. you're in the Caribbean. Things can be a little different here.
[video]https://www.google.com.ai/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTyGLhwVHOY0&ved=0ahUKEwi2_Mj-3ZLVAhVH5yYKHSgYAM4QwqsBCB0wAA&usg=AFQjCNFVG_sY1VrX4T9vh8Py4VbYsb3JdQ[/video]

...Just watched that video....if you ever have a chance to fly on one like that, dont....to heavy.. wings to small...underpowered...your flight could be short and one way.........

May 5, 2007
...Just watched that video....if you ever have a chance to fly on one like that, dont....to heavy.. wings to small...underpowered...your flight could be short and one way.........

All depends on available thrust, one offsets the other (High wing loading) But you are correct, didn't seem to have much of a wing, something desirable in a "partial plane"

May 5, 2007
It´s possible.

Back in the early 90´s when I first started coming to the D.R. I met a guy on the road up to the cable car in P.O.P. and he was telling me how he flew his ultralight down here from the States.

I honestly thought that was insane (I´m not a flier btw).

I'm sure others have made the trip from the USA in a small plane but Cobraboy made it regularly in a straight legged C182 If I recall If you can't get "above" the weather, a long trip becomes very tiring and often dangerous I have made it in a PC 12 , obviously a piece of cake but can see the pitfalls of even trying in an under-powered ultralight designed for no more than 50-75 mile trips

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There have been several visits by ultralights to the DR,Some of which have continued on round the world adventures so it is possible.At present on the North Coast I don't know of any serviceable flying ones except for a couple of flying lawnmowers in Cabarete,Maybe CB knows if they guy in Jarabacoa is still operating?
As far as small private airstrips,most have been disallowed for public use due to various factors but a few of us still manage to keep private planes here at the main airports.The military bases can also be used with prior permission from FAD.
El Portillo in Las Terrenas has been closed for property development but there is an active campaign to re-open it but so far without result.Angelina airport in Cotui is a small uncontrolled field which had a couple of ultralights but I don't presently know their status.Dajabon is a grass airfield near the Haitian border but the condition of the landing strip can be bad unless recently maintained.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There have been several visits by ultralights to the DR,Some of which have continued on round the world adventures so it is possible.At present on the North Coast I don't know of any serviceable flying ones except for a couple of flying lawnmowers in Cabarete,Maybe CB knows if they guy in Jarabacoa is still operating?
As far as small private airstrips,most have been disallowed for public use due to various factors but a few of us still manage to keep private planes here at the main airports.The military bases can also be used with prior permission from FAD.
El Portillo in Las Terrenas has been closed for property development but there is an active campaign to re-open it but so far without result.Angelina airport in Cotui is a small uncontrolled field which had a couple of ultralights but I don't presently know their status.Dajabon is a grass airfield near the Haitian border but the condition of the landing strip can be bad unless recently maintained.
We see some para motors fly from Hamacka de Dios occasionally.

IMO, the DR is not the greatest place to fly ultralights, because of the constant trade winds and mountain turbulance effects.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I saw several over the area of El Choco a few years ago, up the hills from Sosua/Cabarete. You might want to try to contact http://monkeyjungledr.com/contact/ to see if they might be able to help you. Other places in Caberete might have some information since I have seen some going along the coast. Lots of good conditions for your sport.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I saw several over the area of El Choco a few years ago, up the hills from Sosua/Cabarete. You might want to try to contact http://monkeyjungledr.com/contact/ to see if they might be able to help you. Other places in Caberete might have some information since I have seen some going along the coast. Lots of good conditions for your sport.
Para motors most likely, not ultra lights.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

It was the late owner of Monkey Jungle who tried to get a certified private airstrip on his land in El Choco. He ran into a myriad of problems, mainly associated with drug trafficking. He gave up the idea.

Sadly we lost this gentleman about 18 months ago in a seaplane crash.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

I'm a boatie. I've seen and riden on several. Most use a walker RIB that is ultralight with the main hull made from aluminum and much lighter than the fiberglass RIB's. They are actually pretty cool.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...info on ultralights, from the F.A.A. USA....specs. on 103 ultralight aircraft...single seat under 254 pounds..less than 5 gallons fuel...stall speed 28 mph....top speed 55 knots or less( the one I flew topped out at about 43 .MP.H)...anyway they are very weather sensitive, I would never fly with winds over 12 M.P.H., or any threat of rain... if you are flying into 20 M.P.H.wind, with a ultralight with a top speed of say 40 M.P.H... the best you can do on your return trip home is 20 M.P.H....your gas will probably run out before you reach your landing strip...a trip from the USA to the DR , on a true ultalight would be almost impossible.....Doc.......

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Thanks all for the intriguing replies. The flying boat video was cool, but not for me. Bu how is that guy doing it for commercial practice.? Wild west? No insurance? It's all fun until someone ges an eye poked out.

I flw mostly in MN, where the winds aren't too bad, but yes, wind and ULs arenot fun conditions. FLew mine mostly early morning and near sunset.

More exploring when I get there.

Buzz out