Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultralight Aircraft communities/strips

i did a search and the hits were old, like 2004.

Would like to know if there are any ultralighters out there flying in DR. Where? any private flying communities?.

I built a Challenger II 10 years a go and sold it. Would live to get a single seater/UL to fly around in DR when i move there. I know some folks in the US build homes around little grass strips and fly. Wondering if anything like this in DR.

Tx

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

...I have never seen one in DR...did my training in USA on a Quicksilver mx, love to fly one again.. count me in if you find any.....Doc.......

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. There are few, if any, and far between. I knew a guy who flew an UL out of a crop dusting strip near SFM but he crashed. There are a few para-motors here and there but they don't require much of a strip. The airport in Constanza is too high and windy.

There is a semi-abandoned airport in Las Terrenas but it doesn't look operational.

Maybe somebody else can help more.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for the para motor....easy and fun.

I did a lot of research on them, but never got off the ground..... as they say.
    Hahaha

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago I met a pair of ladies who referred to themslves as B & B one was named Brenda and the other Beth or it may have been Beth and Becky. BUt B and B is what thye wanted to be called. They flew into POP by commercial flight and said they'd just bought a 2 seater ultralight in S Car and were researching flying it down to the DR along the string of Bahamas. I never heard form them again and they promised to call when they arrove, so maybe they stayed in S Car. I don't know
    Der Fish

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    A couple of years ago I met a pair of ladies who referred to themslves as B & B one was named Brenda and the other Beth or it may have been Beth and Becky. BUt B and B is what thye wanted to be called. They flew into POP by commercial flight and said they'd just bought a 2 seater ultralight in S Car and were researching flying it down to the DR along the string of Bahamas. I never heard form them again and they promised to call when they arrove, so maybe they stayed in S Car. I don't know
    Der Fish
    I recall you talking about that Fish, and inquiring for them about feasibility etc I think I told you to tell them to forget trying to fly it from States and to crate it up and ship it Never heard any further

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Der Fish
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandDreaming View Post
    I recall you talking about that Fish, and inquiring for them about feasibility etc I think I told you to tell them to forget trying to fly it from States and to crate it up and ship it Never heard any further
    It´s possible.

Back in the early 90´s when I first started coming to the D.R. I met a guy on the road up to the cable car in P.O.P. and he was telling me how he flew his ultralight down here from the States.

I honestly thought that was insane (I´m not a flier btw).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz65 View Post
    i did a search and the hits were old, like 2004.

Would like to know if there are any ultralighters out there flying in DR. Where? any private flying communities?.

I built a Challenger II 10 years a go and sold it. Would live to get a single seater/UL to fly around in DR when i move there. I know some folks in the US build homes around little grass strips and fly. Wondering if anything like this in DR.

Tx
    Well, there is this guy in PC.. you're in the Caribbean. Things can be a little different here.
    https://www.google.com.ai/url?sa=t&s...h8Py4VbYsb3JdQ
    Last edited by jstarebel; 07-18-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

....remember wind is important, with ultra lights...flying from the Usa to the DR, Insane...by law to be a ultralight you can only carry a small amount of gas...doubt if it ever happened.....Doc.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    Well, there is this guy in PC.. you're in the Caribbean. Things can be a little different here.
    https://www.google.com.ai/url?sa=t&s...h8Py4VbYsb3JdQ
    ...Just watched that video....if you ever have a chance to fly on one like that, dont....to heavy.. wings to small...underpowered...your flight could be short and one way.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast