Is the "Open" Forum in decline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Just a thought from "lurking hybernation".

Is the "Open Forum" in decline?

In the early stages of the new format the "Open" outnumbered all the other forums combined by almost 40%. Today, but more recently, the "Open" is a shadow of itself. With 4245 posts versus 3800 for the others combined, it reflects only a 12% difference now. The biggest drop is in the "threads" department. Now the "Travel" Forum is catching up on the "Open".

Now, it is not that the others or the "Travel" are getting more popular. The problem is the "Open" has been "Hipolitized".

Just like Hipolito does, freedom of speech is being silenced to maintain the status quo. What was the "Open Forum for anyway?
Few threads get large number of viewers anymore, and even less people respond. The gossip attraction is gone. Gossip is a multimillion dollar worldwide business. The last important thread that broke viewing and posting records was banned. DR1 is asking for help to improve. Why? It is important to note that the other forums have large numbers of threads but few responses. People ask a question and most likely between two or three responses later the answer comes in and the thread is dead. The "Open" counts on excitement, gossip, friendly competition and other qualities.

In the effort to get rid of the "roudies" DR1 is killing "roudies" that also put on their "serious" hat in the other forums, which is really where people go for more serious information. People with vast knowledge of DR get swated. You don't have to be banned to disappear. All it takes is a Webmaster getting in the act of publicly attacking its posters. The "quiet" diplomacy of e-mailing warnings is gone. Now, since Hipolito gets away with insulting everyone and getting applauded, it is becoming infectious. The voters will decide later on if he is right after all.

Well, the master plan is working. It has created a boring DR1, which was not helped with the change of format. It is a boring strategy. Save bandwidth!!!

I still say lurking is more exciting than posting here. Back to my hybernating hole..............good night.

TW

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Idon't think so golo........I think it's just "maturing" a bit. Becoming more of a forum and less a boxing ring.
Insults and mud-slinging are only interesting to a limited number of people and are best taken to email between the individuals involved. I think we'll soon see that when you want to start a fisticuffs you'll still be able to do it via the "forum" and then carry it on in the "privacy" of email exchanges.

Call me an egotistical bitch if you want but I only started posting to this site once the gross abuses were curtailled. I don't get my jollies anymore by punching out or putting down anyone.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Good to see ya...

As people become aware of the other forums, so the posting spreads out. This is natural phenomenon that similar sites to DR1 experience. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

If some individuals idea of freedom of speech is to personally attack other posters, then I'm sorry, then we at DR1 do not subscribe to those ideals.

The thread was not banned, it was closed. It's still available for all to see.
Unfortunately with the last message board was not possible, we had to delete the entire thread.
Now people can still view the closed threads and form their own opinions to why the thread was closed.

In the effort to get rid of the "roudies" DR1 is killing "roudies".
Please can you name all these rowdies?

"People with vast knowledge of DR get swated".
Please can you list all the people that have been swatted?

"All it takes is a Webmaster getting in the act of publicly attacking its posters. The "quiet" diplomacy of e-mailing warnings is gone".
Please can you list the people I have publicly attacked?
I often email people and in 99% of cases the don't have a problem with complying to the simple rule of refrain from personally attacking people. Is that really too much to ask?

I have always regarded you as a valuable poster on DR1 and have said that openly on the boards.
Why you choose to lurk is entirely your decision.

We don't have a master plan, it's not "Pinky and the brain" here :)

Running a message board is a labor of love, you just can't please all the people all the time.
We aim for second best and try to please most of the people, most of the time.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
To MommC

Dear MommC:

Now that you made it official that it was a trade off of Mommc VS TW let me say that I support you all the way. If it took me going into lurking to let you come out of your lurking days, I will leave DR1 posting and replying all to yourself. I wouldnt want to keep a lady from posting because us "roudies" are upsetting her.

You can have the "Open Forum" all to yourself!!
But, please, please, stop crying about paying for water. It is the law of the land that all water over or underground belongs to the State and the citizens have to pay for it. What you are doing would be called "theft of services" in the United States. If you dont like the salty, polluted water, dont well it up. Leave it there for somebody else to use. You think that DR is a free ride. Forget it!!! Its pay or or shut up. People like you have been getting a free ride for too long. I pay for well water at $1 and regular CAASD water at $4 per 1000 liter or 263 gallons here in Santo Domingo. My well water is even more polluted than yours but we give it a professional treatment and we pay for the pumping, the electricity and the whole investment, but still have to pay the government. Why cant you??

Maybe the government ought to check and see if you pay any luxury taxes on your land too. Hey, no more poor people. Everybody has to pay up or take a boat to Puerto Rico. The hand me down days are over. We are not going to pay for the poor and the slick anymore. I cant stand Hipolito and his crew of gangsters, but they are right in collecting from everyone. It is not them demanding this, it is us the real tax payers.

By the Rob, where is Tiger, Tony C, Tom,CES, Grahame Bush, only to name a few of the people who have disappeared?

TW

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
"By the Rob, where is Tiger, Tony C, Tom,CES, Grahame Bush, only to name a few of the people who have disappeared?"

So out of the five names you mentioned, one has been banned for months and two still post. Tony C and Tiger, I have a feeling they still log in???

CES: last post 2002-03-11
Grahame Bush: last post 2002-03-09

"only to name a few"
Please name the rest, I'm very curious...

I agree with you about Hipolito :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Say What???

golo...Let me say first that I have truly enjoyed reading some of your posts. The ones that let the intelligent, thoughtful person you are shine through. It's only when you start acting like a............(use your imagination-you seem to have a good one!) that you disappoint me.
Just so you know I do pay INAPA about 500% more than my Dominican neighbours pay -because I am an extranero. Rich I am not.....I spend winters here under Drs orders and altho' I would surely like to live somewhere less corrupt the Dominican Republic happens to fit my limited budget. Also you say you pay $1 for well water- RD$ or US$? Weekly or "mensual"?
If you are paying what I think you are then I am paying 750% more for mine.......Why???? Because I'm white, non-Dominican so must be Rico and can line INAPA directors pockets better than a Dominican could.
I agree everyone should pay......so why don't my friend who live in San Pedro and have "potable" water!!! LIKE YOU DO in Santo Domingo. Remember I must also pay 22 pesos a day for the bottled water I use for drinking and cooking.
I also pay in my home country for water and sewer services. As does everyone else- at the same rate no matter what their nationality.
All I'm saying is government should be equitable.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MommC are you a male? whats this mom business all about? Whats wrong with you people? Why couldn't you choose Papi-C?

Now let me jump into this discussion: Most people in the open forum are not here to gain only pure boring straight information but the majority are (or were) here to be entertained by creative, controversial, original (often offensive) postings. I used to be glued to this message board 12 hours a day in my office, just reading and answering to the funniest post to really start my day with a laughter.
Now, not so much of headmaster rob's big stick policy but for some of the new posters like suarezn and others who have simply jumped in to stir up a little bruhaha and now have disappeared back into their rat holes, have destroyed the open forum. Some of these guys who claim to be this and that and supposedly are ceo's of certain fortune 500 companies etc, really don't have a life. They hate where they live and abhore their jobs. They take orders from their fat wives and dream of coming to DR to try out a carwash hooker for 300 pesos a pop. These guys can't stand people like TW who live in utmost luxury and live the lives of mambo kings. I am the envy of many of my friends while I don't make anywhere near as TW makes (without even working), i live like a prince.
Back to the point: This board is only intresting if people are allowed to express their thoughts the way we see fit as individuals. Lets face it, no one likes threads like: "whats your favorite color" and "what happened to merengue music" or " what would you like to do if you could travel in time" etc. What does that have to do with DR in general?
This board was fun to read when people actually talked about weird stuff ex: stary dogs, kissing your pet, what is a chopo, where is the action, how to pick up women, girl friends could be a liability etc. These threads made Open forum interesting rather than what we are talking about now. I liked it when we made fun of each other until some one really got offended; thats when everything got started. Now we are all nice and peaceful to each other. We write with caution as not to offend anyone or to engage in any sort of altercation which could result in the shut down of the thread. Fear is all sunk too deep in to our PC key board to even start another controvercy.
Come on guys lets get back into action. The hell with the politically correct BS and say whats on your minds.
GOLO, I am glad to read your most interesting posts. The santiago GOLO fan club was on the verge of bankruptcy; thanks god we have heard from you again.
Keep it coming.
GOLO for 2004. `

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
To AZB

Actually it should be MommaC but my hands don't always work the way my mind tells them to, (one of the reasons I spend winters here). I AM WOMAN!!!!!!!
And I have the sons to prove it!!
I also enjoy creative, controversial and original conversation and ideas however I have the wisdom to understand that there is NOTHING creative or original (I will conceed controversial) to offensive postings.
On the contrary offensive posting demonstrates the lack of creative, original thought!
I too, could resort to obscene, offensive language but that in itself gets repetitive and BORING!!!! it also obscures any valid point I may have to make.
Give me a good lively debate any day and I could go on for months!!!

And the ball in now in your park...........

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Golo and AZB

Damn I'm glad you two responded to my post......stimulating......

Now don't drop the ball boys......keep it coming.......

lets get down & dirty - not with offensive language and obscenities but with what's "Really" wrong with this country!

Once we 've uncovered all the inequities and political "HANKIE PANKIE" maybe we can get a discussion going on what Dominicans and "extraneros" working together can DO about it!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Heeeeeere's Johnny

The one thing I agree with AZB is that this board is only interesting if allowed to express opinions freely, otherwise booooorrriiinnnggg....
Now Mr. AZB, what's with the woman bashing? Why did it have to be papi-c? Mommy is fine with me...in the DR we happen to like WOMEN...
I would like to ask your opinion on something, because I'm not well versed in the muslim religion. I was watching the other day a special on CNN abou the way Afgan women were treated called "Behind the veil" and it ocurred to me that the muslin religion was probably founded by homosexuals, just like the traditional catholic religion that doesn't allow priests to marry (But that's a different topic all by itself). Otherwise how can we explain the treatment of women in the muslim world? What's with the sausage fest? (your honest answer on this one would be appreciated)
On a different topic I really doubt you live like a king. I think what's happened to you is that you've come to my country and found how much fun it is in the DR as compared to your country and you're having delusions of grandeur. I personally could not imagine living in a country where you can't drink alcohol, dance, have to pray a gazillion times a day, piropear a chopa, or even see women in tight jeans....I mean you were calling people chopos just the other day for wearing underwear to the beach instead of swimsuit, but in your country women go to the beach and bathe in full dress (I've seen the pics)....The DR must be heaven to you.
Well...this should be enough to get us started...Or it will probably get the thread closed. In which case I will go back to lurking, just like my good old buddy superchopo...
Let the games begin...Yeeehawww
And don't act like you all don't enjoy it! Admit it. You all love it!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
New Forums...

Forums AZB would find interesting:

"Santiago Guide to Picking up Desperate Teen-aged Girls"

"Chiropractor's Guide to Surfing the Net 12 Hours a Day"

"My 69 Favorite Ways of Proving my Love to TW"

coming next week........."How to Make the Best of a Double Digit I.Q."

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Now,now CHILDREN!!!

Just when things were starting to get interesting ya gotta start with the personal attacks!! Really......
Can't you be more original that that?????
READ MY PREVIOUS POST!!!
I, being an intelligent FEMALE ,don't need to denigrate anyone to get my point across.
Golo & AZB - please don't take offense to the childish ramblings of those babies......We were beginning to have a meaningful,insightful conversation (animated in fact it was....)
Mondongo....shame on you silly boy.....and just when I was beginning to appreciate your sensitivity on one of the other threads!!
Now all of you put your brains where your foot is at the moment and come on back to me with something on the initial posting worth responding to!!

Otherwise I'll put you to bed with no supper (which you maynot get anyway since this is the DR!)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Is Islam for gays?

SuarezN:

If Islam is a religion started by and for gays, catholics, jews and protestants are in trouble!!! Be prepared then for a gay world.
In case you dont notice it, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. It expands agressively as the Sahara desert over the flood plains of the Niger River in West Africa.

Take West Africa for example. Prior to 700AD before the Empire of Ghana, the Land of Gold, came into being, typical African tribes, like the Dogons dominated the desert. Then Prince Sunjata, a smart administrator and innovator created the great Mali Empire and was succeeded by Emperor Mansa Musa around 1200AD. Mansa Musa made the first pilgrimage to Mecca by any African leader and took so much gold to the East that when he arrived in Egypt, the value of gold went down. He spread gold among the rich and the poor. His influence and reputation grew. Then the Persians, along with the Portuguese, The Spaniards and other Western civilizations went to the east Coast of Africa. But it was the Arabs and Muslim civilizations that prevailed in Swahili land and Islam spread througout the cities of Mombasa,Kilwa,the city of fortunes, Mogadishu(Somalia), Zanzibar,the spice island and all the way to Sofala near the Kalahari. Islam took over most of civilized Africa and other religions were left with their mouth open. Only in a few places the Italians left just monuments, like a prototype of the Arc d Triomphe in Paris, but the minds of the people remain with the prophet Muhammad. Askia Muhammad, another great leader created the nation of Songhai, that occupied most of central West Africa and the Moroccan Berber people dominated the North and later much of Wets Africa. So it was a complete Islamic victory. The history of Asia and the Middle east is well known. Now the great battle is in Europe, where Islam is beginning to get a hold of the poor, the disinchanted and the disenfranchised. The neighborhoods and ghettos of the great cities of Europe is being invaded by Islam. Islam is not longer relegated to dark people anymore. White ministers are opening mosques as big as the great Mosque at Sankore and Jenne in the legendary cities of Timbuktu and Jenne.

So my friend, watch out for the Muslims.

As for MommC: As I said, if you dont like Dominican corruption, try living in Miami corruption, or New York City corruption, or perhaps you may want to trade Hipolito for Mayor Richard Daley in Chicago, theres a good one, who knows how to buy votes. How about L.A. corruption. You think our AMET are tough and abusive? Ever tried fooling around with the corrupt LAPD?

And ladies and gentlemen!!!MommC just discovered $22 bottled water!!!!! It seems we get our Agua Crystal and Planeta Azul for free. Lady take a hike. Either pay up or go gome! Any way, dont worry about Hipolito. The next one will do the same. We are a corrupt society. Learn to live with it. Do you play dirty when your husband is not around? Nothing wrong with it. 80% of Dominican women do it!

TW

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My My

Ruffled your feathers a bit didn't I?

Loved the history lesson.....Now that's provocative!

Corruption exists in the entire world. How the populace deals with it differs greatly. Here in the DR most people embrace the concept hoping to become rich like the 18 % who control this island. Now Daley may "buy" votes but he doesn't do it by sending people around to dole out $RD 300 per vote like happened here recently...(yeah I know so I had a bit of "insider" info!! Ain't friends great - specially once they get into the Brugal...you hear a lot of interesting little tidbits).

Interesting to note that with your aquaduct "potable" water, your well filtration and purification system you still buy bottled water. Have ye so little faith in "Dominican" technology & competency???

I play dirty quite often.....even when my husband is around!!! However I doubt if my definition of "dirty" and yours is the same! From many of your comments I assume your definition is the "typically Dominican Male" definition!!
Have you always had so low an opinion of Dominican women???
The only ones I know who play "dirty" by your definition are the puta's whose husband put them to work so they won't have to (ever notice how many Dominican men DON'T work?? Must be a four letter word to them)

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No, Daley doesn't pass out 300 peso bills for votes, he gets you a job as a janitor in the Chicago schools which pays more than the teachers make and you really don't even need to show up for work. His people also learned from his dad how to register graveyards.

In fact, he was so good at it that one of my favourite New Mexico politicos used his methods for years. That's Bill Richardson ( one of Clinton's good buddies) got elected to Congress.

The DR has always had a problem with corruption and will continue to as long as the poor are willing to sell their vote. They figure, "What the hell? We're poor, we're gonna be poor, might as well take what we can get for our vote cause it ain't gonna make much difference anyway." The only honest politician I met in the DR wasn't really a Politician, President Rafael Bonnelly. He was an interim President during the strife of the 60s. A very nice man who tried to help his people but was not really given the power to go with the job.

It seems to me as an observer that the military/police still control the DR politics...no matter who wins the elections they must cowtow to the military.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah I know Islam is the fastest growing religion followed closely by the mormons...Sighhh...There goes all the fun. I just would like to hear someone's opinion on why the put down of women in this religion...Never really understood it. As we all know in most societies women have been second class citizens. Even in so called "developed" countries, they still don't get equal pay for the same job performed, as an example. Countries where muslims are the majority, however, have taken this to the extreme. That's why I would like to hear the opinion of those who come from that world, because it is difficult for us in the western world to comprehend it.
In the meantime I'll make sure not to drop the soap when AZB is present...hehehe...
Mommc: WORK IS a four letter word to a lot of people in the DR...That's right! We even have a song about it called "El Negrito Del Batey"...It goes "El trabajar yo se lo dejo solo al buey, porque el trabajo lo hizo dios como castigo" or loosely translated (Work...that I leave to the ox, because work is a punishment from god". Notice we also have a lot of songs about drinking and having a lot of girlfriends at once...only in the DR...
PS: I like your forum suggestions to AZB...Good one!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ahem......

Just to clarify the forum suggestions were mondongo's.......
He got his knuckles wrapped for that one!!
While I'm not Muslim I have noticed the second class treatment .......being female that is!!
Could it be that males are threatened by us......????

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
religions

To me all religions are based on the same principle which is lust for power and control by their founders and subsequently of the organisations that run the show after their death.

The most honest one on this is the catholic religion which calls their members "flock of sheep" I think that says it all.

As long as anyone who has left a shred of curiosity about life and its meaning left inside
him should stay out of organized religion.

Sorry for the short post. Running out of time. X.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Good Point X!

Isn't that what the government in this country is about also??
Control.....and keeping the poor -poor so the rich can profit from them and maintain their wealth!

Status
Not open for further replies.