San Francisco De Macoris

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
There is a new hotel that opened in San Francisco De Macoris
last year. Does anyone have any info on this hotel?
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Might need more info

it is a pretty big town, I'm not familar with the city, but it is pretty big......so more info might be needed!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Believe the place is Hotel Las Caobas, Tel. 809 290 5858. It is located in a good residential area, near the Club Esperanza, that everyone in San Francisco knows because it is the largest club and where the elite of the town goes to party.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was told. . . .

that the owner of the hotel also owns the baseball team in town. There are a few decent places to stay in SFM with a/c and cable for around $600/night, but the new hotel is supposed to be nice. The people who stay in Macoris or usually business travelers and do not have the budgets to stay there. Has anyone ever stayed at Los Caobas?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
SFM

My wife is also from the SFM area (Jaya) and I lived there as a Peace Corps volunteer. Not too many posts concerning the area.

Thanks Hillbilly. I usaully quote local prices in local currency but should have been clear. It may have good up since I last stayed there two years ago. My favorite is the on the west side of the park in the center of town (can't remember the name). Head over to restraurant (can't remember the name) next to the former burned down movie theatre (anyone knows what is going up there?) and have a seafood stew called "siete potencias". There are a couple of Dominican-Chinese run restraurants which are also decent. There used or still may be an Ananada's in town which has good vegetarian food (better one in the Capital with the same name. Unfortunately, the fast food franchises have arrived in town also.

So msa319, what brings you to SFM?

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
We will be going to San Francisco to visit my wifes grandparents and family. They are from the Santa Lucia area. Not sure when we will actually be heading to San Francisco but was just looking for some info.

Matt

Jan 1, 2002
Vivo en San Vicente Sector, es cerca del Hospital, aqui en San Francisco de Macor?s, resido en esta ciudad desde que llegue al mundo.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Francomarcorisano

Stanely, I lived a La Cruz 45 (across from Bellas Artes) while I was in Peace Corps. Dona Gloria (la paletera, everyone knows who she is) ran a 3 room pension in her house and boy did she take care of me while I was learning Spanish and how to get around.

Do you know people from Jaya? My sister and brother-in-law (the only one who didn't immigrate to the US) are China and Rafael Ortiz from Santalena (just past Jaya). They are very active in all aspects of religious, political and social activities in the area.

One more question, are they finishing the road going out to the campo from the hospital? They started working on it after the election after 10 years of promises. After they started it, they stopped and from what I hear, are not working on it anymore. It should be a 10-15 minute drive to the campo but it usually takes 30-40 minutes because of all the holes. I remember when they made it new around 1990. The problem was, the asphalt layer was so thin, it was worse than before after only 6 months.

It you go up the mountain and pass Loma de Jaya, and head to La Colonia. This is where I feel the most comfortable in the DR and hopefully will someday have a small organic farm up there.