Other types of beer here

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Ok, so I posted a thread a while back about spicy food, so now I am asking about beer. Like most people here I love an ice cold Presidente anytime of the day, but since I'm living here long term now I miss my Michigan and other craft beers. I know I can't get those exact ones here, but is there any other styles here besides the generic pilsner or lager? I have heard there's a couple craft beers made here in SD but haven't seen them. When I'm here I mainly drink presidente (normal not light) because it's good with the heat here. I have also tried Canita (second favorite here) and obviously the other major beers, but you get tired of the same old stuff and I want something different. Any recommendations?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So does Jumbo / Nacional: Leffe, Hoegaarden, Franziskaner, Duvel, etc. 

Many of the AB InBev brands are imported by CND and especially CCN has them, besides in Diamond mall there is /used to be a beer market as well as in Piantini.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anything else you probably would find drinkable would be from outside the country. Do you like Bohemia?

Local beer Brahma is undrinkable yet popular because of the price. Cerveza Uno is not very good. Quisqueya is not great.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's SD, duh. i've seen even polish beer on sale there :)
look in nice stores and you shall find.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it's SD, duh. i've seen even polish beer on sale there :)
look in nice stores and you shall find.

True about many things being available in SD, but knowing where ahead of time is a big help. It is such a horrible place.

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Cultura Cervecera. They have multiple branches in SD. In zona colonial there is one in Arzobispo Merino, close to the cathedral.
Huge selection of national and international beers, think they are 100+. Charlie Horse is a great Dominican beer.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
If you mean local brews then there are not many and all pretty similar pilsner type beers.
They did come out with an Amber which was excellent but seems to have disappeared.I find that since the takeover a few years back that Presidente is less flavourful so I try to stick to Bohemia which is acceptable..
Would love to have a local brewer do Sam Adams style beers.
There are plenty of imports available if the local ones get too bland.Even Duvel and Leffe Belgian ones which travel very well but pricey for a serious drinker.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I will definitely check out that place in zona colonial. I actually enjoy presidente black. But for 90 — 100 a bottle? No way. My dad says that black is the "OG" presidente from the past rebottled and marked higher. Also, I understand the culture here prefers to share grandes or jumbo. But I'd like to purchase beers in six packs as well and when I'm at the store it is so weird to me to see pague 5 lleva 1 haha. I've seen Sierra Nevada here and sam adams here. I don't mind drinking presidente or currently the new beer canita, but I just need something different from the same old stuff. I know it's crazy talk, but does anyone think another could actually compete with Presidente here? I think it's literally impossible. Haha

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
All this is making me thirsty. I think I will forgo the Presidente and Bohemia that's in the fridge today, head to the store an grab at least 6 different brands I haven't tried yet and have a sampling under the palapa this afternoon.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Republica Brewing's Tina Bazuca is a heafty IPA, brewed on island... I've only seen it on draft though!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Republica Brewing's Tina Bazuca is a heafty IPA, brewed on island... I've only seen it on draft though!

IPA is probably my least favorite bear of any type, but many people like them. Stouts, lagers, porters, even an amber ale, please! I know, it is unlikely to happen.