Restaurant recommendations Las Galeras

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

will go for a weekend to LG.

Did check the restaurants online but prefer opinion from here :)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The Monte Azul, without a doubt! Great food and breathtaking views from atop the mountain overlooking the ocean! The trek up the mountain to the restaurant is a little tricky as the road is not paved, at it wasn't when I was last there. But it is well worth the effort!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
jd426 asked me to post:

I was just there couple weeks ago ,and could not agree more ..Awesome place
but please also post
DO NOT FOLLOW GPS DIRECTIONS.. are you will end up messed up, bad
on that Boca the Diablo Road where they have the Quarry mine ...
its bad..

the turnoff as you know coming from the Beach is a left turn after the Cemetery, there is a Small Square sign but you will not see it til you are making the turn.
Many people get lost ..
then once on that road I believe the right turn is after the small School and the pond ?

you seem to know it better.. if you could kindly post it ..
I know how to get there , but by feel .. i dont know the street names .

John D..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree fully with the last post. But I would take a taxi or call the owner to pick you up at the bottom. He will do it if you come early. Do not take your car up that mountain.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I took a taxi. I could not have located the road nor navigated up the mountain to the restaurant on my own. Sky is spot on.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What Sky said. Food is good and the owner/staff were very friendly.

The French place (Marseilles or something like that) is also good for breakfast or light lunch.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Hi,

Since it is the slow season, some places may not be open so call ahead or have a backup plan.  La Finca is one of them.  If it is open, they have good food and a great view.  They made my wife a beautiful cake.  Also Chez Francis, El Cabito, before you get there, stop in Samana at La Taverna.  You can also dine at Vista Mare but I would just give the food a "B".  I go because it is open most of the time, has a great view and is clean and modern.  Also, Puerta Bahia has several restaurants.  You can also get a typical Dominican meal at El Valle, Rincon, and the beach at the end of the road in Las Galeras.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Hi,

Also, if you are on the malecon in Samana at night, Pizzeria de Antonio has good pizza.  Chez Frances has good pizza as well.  Both are the thin type.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Also, if you are on the malecon in Samana at night, Pizzeria de Antonio has good pizza.  Chez Frances has good pizza as well.  Both are the thin type.

Do you refer to Santa Barbara de Samana?

I went there before we will stay 2 nights in Las Galeras only (we might go to Playa Rincon one day though) before going back to SD.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
About Playa Rincon. You used to be able to drive left facing the water to the end of the beach. There is a river where the beach ends that is really nice. Sometimes there is a guy with a small canoe type boat for trips down the river.

But if it is still closed to cars you can walk that way for a really refreshing dip in the cool river. Also a real quiet place to swim in the ocean.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I went there by car last year until where the restaurant is. Since when it is closed there?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Do you refer to Santa Barbara de Samana?

I went there before we will stay 2 nights in Las Galeras only (we might go to Playa Rincon one day though) before going back to SD.
 yes that is the Samana I was referring to. La Taberna  is in Samana as well as Antonio's pizza. Puerta Bahia is right before Samana about 1 mile before.   Café Italia is also there next to the orange phone store, it is a nice place for a light lunch or a drink on the sidewalk. Don't forget to visit Playita.  you can get a look at The Rincon bay from there.  there is a sign for it right across from Ban Reservas.  you can also get a massage there right on the beach for 1000 pesos, she does a great job.   They have some food there but it is nothing fantastic. Sometimes they have great service out to your chair on the beach sometimes they don't.  if you want to take an excursion you can go out to Cato Levantado where they serve food, or playa Fronton where most likely there is no food.  Bring your own.  

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
My favorite Restaurants in Las Galeras: el Cabito and Monte Azul.
Food: both above average
Prices: both expensive for the DR, but still great values by 1st world standards.
Ambience: excellent
Views: both Fantastic!!!!! Monte Azul gives you a 360 degree view of the peninsula. el Cabito is on the cliffs overlooking (overhanging really) the bay. Perfect at sunset.

I last visited both places in February. I'll go again.
Also spent a day on Playa Rincon, and you were able to drive both to the left and right on the beach. Good whole fried fish at the "shack" down the left by the river/lagoon.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I wholeheartedly second Monte Azul - we were there in January and can't wait to go back.

I'm also keen to try El Cabito, which has an excellent reputation and was featured in Anthony Bourdain's programme about the DR.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Prices: both expensive for the DR, but still great values by 1st world standards.
Views: both Fantastic!!!!! Monte Azul gives you a 360 degree view of the peninsula. el Cabito is on the cliffs overlooking (overhanging really) the bay. Perfect at sunset.

Also spent a day on Playa Rincon, and you were able to drive both to the left and right on the beach. Good whole fried fish at the "shack" down the left by the river/lagoon.

Yup. I went to Rincon last year.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

Wife is pregnant so we do not want to do anything overly challenging. Which of the two is easier to get to?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I went there by car last year until where the restaurant is. Since when it is closed there?

Maybe it is open now. You have been there later than me. Maybe 2 years ago you could not go to the end going left. Where the stream is. The restaurant is on the right facing the water.

But if open the best fish was at the left where the Fat Lady cooks.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Wife is pregnant so we do not want to do anything overly challenging. Which of the two is easier to get to?

If your driving yourself, el Cabito. Much more gradual incline. A "nice walk" from the center of town if you fancy a stroll (well, maybe not doable with a pregnancy to contend with?). 

For Monte Azul, I wouldn't even attempt to drive yourself unless you have a four wheel,drive vehicle with high ground clearance and good tires.  Very steep road inclines. I barely made it up there on a dry evening.

If it's been raining, all bets are off for both places.

Bon apetito . Enjoy.