Monte Cristi changes?

EphraimH

Jul 12, 2017
I read yesterday that Chinese companies are looking to improve the port in Monte Cristi and re-locate factories there to have faster access to American markets.
That is such a small, nothing town. This kind of thing could change it completely. What are the chances of this actually happening?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stranger things have happened. It is an interesting area. I would think fresh water would be a concern.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
And there was just a thread the other day about Chinese airline visiting the DR aviation ministry (or whatever it's called).

I called it, they are not coming here for tourism. They will industrialize the fock out of DR and ruin it. Where else can you get cheap labor (Haitians) in the western hemisphere outside of Haiti?

Holy shiit.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The story in DR1 on Tuesday, 25 July 2017 was about the visit of Minister David Tawei Lee from Taiwan (Republic of China).

Apparently there are Taiwan apparel companies interested in installing themselves in Dajabon. Since Dajabon is more than two hours from Santiago, they are looking into exporting through the Manzanillo Port since they would be shipping goods to the USA.
The northwestern Manzanillo Port is the closest to the US.

Air China (People's Republic of China) has approached the civil aviation authorities. The Dominican government here gives green light to airlines interested in flying here, regardless of whether they pick up here or not. Air China could fly here regardless of whether the country maintains its relations with Taiwan over China.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
The story in DR1 on Tuesday, 25 July 2017 was about the visit of Minister David Tawei Lee from Taiwan (Republic of China).

Apparently there are Taiwan apparel companies interested in installing themselves in Dajabon. Since Dajabon is more than two hours from Santiago, they are looking into exporting through the Manzanillo Port since they would be shipping goods to the USA.
The northwestern Manzanillo Port is the closest to the US.

Air China (People's Republic of China) has approached the civil aviation authorities. The Dominican government here gives green light to airlines interested in flying here, regardless of whether they pick up here or not. Air China could fly here regardless of whether the country maintains its relations with Taiwan over China.

I was a little tongue and cheek on my previous post. :)

This is not a new concept. South Korea did it Haiti in 2011. US beefed up the port in Fort Liberte for export. They're making apparel for Gap, Wal-Mart and Target.

https://printwearmag.com/news/multi-million-investment-put-haiti-apparel-industry-economy-back-map

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ah... Thank you for the update.

Jobs for Haiti is good news for the DR, let us hope it happens.

Reading on Air China... it is the government-owned airline. The president of China travels on this airline. But recent reviews online are not good. Apparently, the domestic Chinese market has taken off and the airline has not been able to keep quality and service up with the demand. But overall, it should be good for the DR to have a direct connection with China.

Take note that in terms of passenger traffic Air China's main hub in Beijing is the busiest airport in Asia and the second busiest in the world with over 86 million passengers handled annually.

Last edited: