Migración PC now receiving applications

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Just confirmed today that the Migración office in Punta Cana (located in Punta Cana Village, behind Wendy's on the 2nd floor) can now receive residency applications and renewals. You of course have to first apply online by selecting the correct office before selecting the service and once they've reviewed the documents and given you the ok, you can deposit in Punta Cana. From then on I unfortunately don't know what the procedure entails but it's a step in the right direction at least!

If anyone happens to go through this process in Punta Cana, please update this thread.

Pseg24

Sep 21, 2016
Thank you for the information.

I have started the process to recieve my pension residency and I have no idea where the office is located (now I know). Apparently even though I apostilled and translated all my information in the Dominican Consulate in New York (cost me over $300) and uploaded all scanned documents, now they want me to also apostille documents with MIREX (in the capital). I am not exactly sure why, considering all the documents are already apostilled by their own people. So tomorrow, I will stop by and have a chat. (pray for me)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Thank you for the information.

I have started the process to recieve my pension residency and I have no idea where the office is located (now I know). Apparently even though I apostilled and translated all my information in the Dominican Consulate in New York (cost me over $300) and uploaded all scanned documents, now they want me to also apostille documents with MIREX (in the capital). I am not exactly sure why, considering all the documents are already apostilled by their own people. So tomorrow, I will stop by and have a chat. (pray for me)

If you are going to be living here, you need to understand that this is how the country functions. The default in any government office is "find a reason to say no". Every time you go, they will spot something that is missing, some procedure that you haven't followed, another form that you need to complete. And you always, always, need to come back. That's pretty much how life is in DR, so just get used to it and be pleasantly surprised the 1 in 1000 times when it doesn't happen.

Pseg24

Sep 21, 2016
Having worked in Government in New York for 13 years, I expected it. It's not just the Dominican Republic. I wasn't complaining, just stating the facts.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Was able to confirm today with PC's Migracion office that I finally qualify for the Definitiva. 2 months before expiry I have to deposit a letter in their office requesting the change in category along with a copy of my passport and residency card and the response takes 2-3 weeks to come back. Good thing I asked early... They also confirmed I can deposit the documents in their office (after applying online) and will only need to go to Santo Domingo to get my picture taken and fingerprints and pick up the card. Would've wished I could do everything in Punta Cana but oh well... something is something! Guess I'll get to go shopping in la capital before the end of the year.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Was able to confirm today with PC's Migracion office that I finally qualify for the Definitiva. 2 months before expiry I have to deposit a letter in their office requesting the change in category along with a copy of my passport and residency card and the response takes 2-3 weeks to come back. Good thing I asked early... They also confirmed I can deposit the documents in their office (after applying online) and will only need to go to Santo Domingo to get my picture taken and fingerprints and pick up the card. Would've wished I could do everything in Punta Cana but oh well... something is something! Guess I'll get to go shopping in la capital before the end of the year.

It is after how many years that you qualify for definitiva?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
10 years with permanent. Only thing that sucks big time is the definitive is good for only 5 years and costs over 20k pesos :/ Was hoping it would get better after so long. Wishful thinking.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Thanks Kate. 10 years is what I have been told. But, even then you have to renew?! I am seriously considering citizenship next time. Investment residency has been "permanent" since after the first year, but I have to renew every two years. Makes no sense of course.

Pseg24

Sep 21, 2016
*update*
I went to the office in Punta Cana Village. It is located behind Wendy's on the 2nd floor. Very empty, there was only one other person and myself. One of the workers helped me and said I had to go to the capital to apostille some translations (error on the Consulate side in the States for telling me I did not have to). Drove to Capital yesterday and it took longer to pay the deposit in ban reservas for the apostille than the actual apostille. Then on to MIREX- Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Considering the entire country has to apostille in this one office they work flawlessly. I was in and out within 40 minutes.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What is needed for investment residency... Just purchase a condo?

No.  You should talk to a reputable lawyer with experience in immigration law.  Some firms will do the first consultation free.  The law about investment residency (Law No. 171-07) says yes, you may be able to use an investment in real estate to satisfy the requirement to invest.  But, the last time there was a discussion here on DR1 about this, the lawyer that monitors the Legal section said never, or almost never, has the government approved a real estate investment.

You might start a new thread in Legal if you want to talk more about it.  Things change often.