Dominican History & Identity

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
TFL Sharing the Cry of Our Dominican Country-mates

HISTORY AND IDENTITY

“History is not just a collection of tales from the past that allow us to understand the present. It is also a present that needs to be interpreted in its historical context, in order to forge the future.

The identity of Dominicans today is being distorted, curtailing the history behind our inception; questioning the nation-state that is the Dominican Republic, and the represents the inhabitants and citizens that historically conform the Dominican people.

Demographical statistics show that around 73% of the population is a product of racial mixing primarily between whites and blacks for the last 500 years or so.

According to the United Nations, Dominicans have an average genetic makeup of 58% European, 35% Sub-Saharan African and 7% Taino (including Asian). This is the result of half a millennia of admixture.

The history of the Dominican people does not begin on the 27th of February of 1844, when the separate state known Dominican Republic is proclaimed.

A three-Century Void (1504-1804)

Haitians consider the year 1492 as the starting point for their history. They detail the first fifty years of colonization to highlight the indigenous struggles against extermination by the Spaniards, as Haitians consider themselves the heirs of the Tainos due to the violent act of liberation that constituted the creation of the Haitian state, in 1804.

They intentionally create a three-century hiatus or void in the island’s history in order to deny the existence, origin and legitimacy of the Dominican people.

Our forefathers were the settlers, not the colonized, nor the conquistadors. They remained in the mountains and in the Cibao valley, forgotten by Spain, and about to be ceded to France on two different occasions.

The conquistadors had already abandoned us once they had stripped the island off most of its visible resources, some fifty years after setting foot on the land.

Hispanic Linguistic Identity

Twenty-eight years hence the Dominican Republic will celebrate two centuries of existence as the state representing the Dominican people of the 21st century.

Dominicans have a clear and marked identity in the context of hispanicity, which is not subject to race, due to its admixture, but to the new world and society that made this beautiful island theirs.

If we now count 10 million Dominican inhabitants, plus the 1 million Haitians that have arrived in the 21st century, and we compare it to the 3 million people that inhabited the country fifty years ago, it becomes clear that we are being invaded, albeit “pacifically”, as we have never been before.

Thus, we will be assimilated, if we do not affirm our Hispanic identity within the sovereign Dominican state.

In doing so we dissipate the ambiguities pushed forward by the miss-informants and manipulators who toil with public opinion, through media and other outlets, with out-of-context words such as racism, xenophobia, rights, discrimination, humanitarian crisis, etc.

Haitianness Vs. Dominicanness

The Dominican state reserves the right to determine who are its citizens and to set in place the means via which Haitians who wish to become a part of our society become assimilated culturally. Currently, it struggles so that the neighboring state of Haiti consolidates itself as a sovereign one, which can facilitate a space for all things Haitian.

It cannot befall on the Dominican Republic the responsibility of assimilating Haitians as a solution to the political instability of the neighboring country and its incapacity to sustain its own population.

Cultural Platform and Bridge

The Dominican Republic is a link between Europe and the New World, and is comprised of vestiges that make her stand out from the rest of the Caribbean, playing a transcendental role in its history; same as it does now.

Its inception as a nation has been the search of its own identity, from the times of Christopher Columbus to becoming a tourist destiny where peoples such Chileans, Russian, other Europeans and North Americans coincide.

The Future That Can Be

We stand as a friendly and hospitable people, not in order to satisfy the tourist, but because the misfortune that constituted the extinction of the Taino society in the 16th century, a tolerant, [pragmatic, genuine] and welcoming people emerged which exists till this day.

With a Rafael Solano that taught us to sing “For Love”, a Juan Luis Guerra that makes “Coffee rain in the countryside”, a Maridalia Hernandez with “Para Quererte” and the young Aisha Syed with her classical violin, we transmit across the world a joy to live that we have been harvesting for over five centuries.

We can ensure that, in two generations, by the time we celebrate 200 years of independence, we become the first inter pares cousins in a prosperous insular region.

But this will not be achieved if Dominicans turn their backs on the problems that affect Haiti and the island as a whole.

The Privileges of Being Dominican

To be a Dominican is a privilege, and is the cause of envy by millions around the world. To be Dominican is a state of being, a joyful mood, in a very special country.

To be Dominican implies the right to eradicate mediocrity, the petty, in order to overcome, become more tolerant, and be more generous.

Dominican identity is a product of history, of language, its traditions and customs. In synthesis, it is a product of its history, not of an ethnicity or race.

But the best part about Dominican identity is what lies ahead; the one we will build for our 2044 celebration.

Dominicans come in all colors, and the world recognizes our singularity.

We are different!
God, Fatherland and Freedom!
Long live the Dominican Republic!”

Alfredo Vargas Caba
March 7th, 2016
Diario Libre: Opinion – “HISTORIA E IDENTIDAD”

Image: “Conjunto de Merengue”, by Yoryi Morel

https://www.facebook.com/thefirstla...dtou-xnGw1qlQAwJzHe1UUlScSMdVAwlWkFmg&fref=nf

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
TFL Sharing the Cry of Our Dominican Country-mates

HISTORY AND IDENTITY

“History is not just a collection of tales from the past that allow us to understand the present. It is also a present that needs to be interpreted in its historical context, in order to forge the future.

The identity of Dominicans today is being distorted, curtailing the history behind our inception; questioning the nation-state that is the Dominican Republic, and the represents the inhabitants and citizens that historically conform the Dominican people.

Demographical statistics show that around 73% of the population is a product of racial mixing primarily between whites and blacks for the last 500 years or so.

According to the United Nations, Dominicans have an average genetic makeup of 58% European, 35% Sub-Saharan African and 7% Taino (including Asian). This is the result of half a millennia of admixture.

The history of the Dominican people does not begin on the 27th of February of 1844, when the separate state known Dominican Republic is proclaimed.

A three-Century Void (1504-1804)

Haitians consider the year 1492 as the starting point for their history. They detail the first fifty years of colonization to highlight the indigenous struggles against extermination by the Spaniards, as Haitians consider themselves the heirs of the Tainos due to the violent act of liberation that constituted the creation of the Haitian state, in 1804.

They intentionally create a three-century hiatus or void in the island’s history in order to deny the existence, origin and legitimacy of the Dominican people.

Our forefathers were the settlers, not the colonized, nor the conquistadors. They remained in the mountains and in the Cibao valley, forgotten by Spain, and about to be ceded to France on two different occasions.

The conquistadors had already abandoned us once they had stripped the island off most of its visible resources, some fifty years after setting foot on the land.

Hispanic Linguistic Identity

Twenty-eight years hence the Dominican Republic will celebrate two centuries of existence as the state representing the Dominican people of the 21st century.

Dominicans have a clear and marked identity in the context of hispanicity, which is not subject to race, due to its admixture, but to the new world and society that made this beautiful island theirs.

If we now count 10 million Dominican inhabitants, plus the 1 million Haitians that have arrived in the 21st century, and we compare it to the 3 million people that inhabited the country fifty years ago, it becomes clear that we are being invaded, albeit “pacifically”, as we have never been before.

Thus, we will be assimilated, if we do not affirm our Hispanic identity within the sovereign Dominican state.

In doing so we dissipate the ambiguities pushed forward by the miss-informants and manipulators who toil with public opinion, through media and other outlets, with out-of-context words such as racism, xenophobia, rights, discrimination, humanitarian crisis, etc.

Haitianness Vs. Dominicanness

The Dominican state reserves the right to determine who are its citizens and to set in place the means via which Haitians who wish to become a part of our society become assimilated culturally. Currently, it struggles so that the neighboring state of Haiti consolidates itself as a sovereign one, which can facilitate a space for all things Haitian.

It cannot befall on the Dominican Republic the responsibility of assimilating Haitians as a solution to the political instability of the neighboring country and its incapacity to sustain its own population.

Cultural Platform and Bridge

The Dominican Republic is a link between Europe and the New World, and is comprised of vestiges that make her stand out from the rest of the Caribbean, playing a transcendental role in its history; same as it does now.

Its inception as a nation has been the search of its own identity, from the times of Christopher Columbus to becoming a tourist destiny where peoples such Chileans, Russian, other Europeans and North Americans coincide.

The Future That Can Be

We stand as a friendly and hospitable people, not in order to satisfy the tourist, but because the misfortune that constituted the extinction of the Taino society in the 16th century, a tolerant, [pragmatic, genuine] and welcoming people emerged which exists till this day.

With a Rafael Solano that taught us to sing “For Love”, a Juan Luis Guerra that makes “Coffee rain in the countryside”, a Maridalia Hernandez with “Para Quererte” and the young Aisha Syed with her classical violin, we transmit across the world a joy to live that we have been harvesting for over five centuries.

We can ensure that, in two generations, by the time we celebrate 200 years of independence, we become the first inter pares cousins in a prosperous insular region.

But this will not be achieved if Dominicans turn their backs on the problems that affect Haiti and the island as a whole.

The Privileges of Being Dominican

To be a Dominican is a privilege, and is the cause of envy by millions around the world
. To be Dominican is a state of being, a joyful mood, in a very special country.

To be Dominican implies the right to eradicate mediocrity, the petty, in order to overcome, become more tolerant, and be more generous.

Dominican identity is a product of history, of language, its traditions and customs. In synthesis, it is a product of its history, not of an ethnicity or race.

But the best part about Dominican identity is what lies ahead; the one we will build for our 2044 celebration.

Dominicans come in all colors, and the world recognizes our singularity.

We are different!
God, Fatherland and Freedom!
Long live the Dominican Republic!”

Alfredo Vargas Caba
March 7th, 2016
Diario Libre: Opinion – “HISTORIA E IDENTIDAD”

Image: “Conjunto de Merengue”, by Yoryi Morel

https://www.facebook.com/thefirstla...dtou-xnGw1qlQAwJzHe1UUlScSMdVAwlWkFmg&fref=nf

Sorry it was a like.
For the Haitians and now also the Venezuelans maybe. ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this whole article could be reduced to one sentence only: we cannot possibly be racists because we are 35% black and we do not want haitians here because something, something, history.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Nice article Alter. I agree with you that if DR does not come to term with it's co-island inhabitants, Haitians, there will never reach the level of prosperity that they can. In Saint Maarten, which is way smaller than the DR, the island is half Dutch and half French. There is a border, but it's open and no restriction on anyone traveling anywhere. They are very prosperous.

Domphil

Dec 16, 2011
OMG ExDR--You must also compare the economy of the Dutch or French sides of St Maarten to Haitian economy. An open border would be a disaster for the Dominican Republic

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
"With a Rafael Solano that taught us to sing “For Love”, a Juan Luis Guerra that makes “Coffee rain in the countryside”, a Maridalia Hernandez with “Para Quererte” and the young Aisha Syed with her classical violin, we transmit across the world a joy to live that we have been harvesting for over five centuries."

Just a minor observation:

If the author gives credit to Rafael Solano for composing "Por amor," then he should be consistent and credit Manuel Tejada and José Antonio Rodríguez for composing "Para quererte."

Or if he wants to credit Maridalia Hernández for singing "Para quererte," then he should extend the same courtesy to Niní Cáffaro for being the voice in "Por amor."

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
And now comes this gem:

"The Privileges of Being Dominican

To be a Dominican is a privilege, and is the cause of envy by millions around the world. To be Dominican is a state of being, a joyful mood, in a very special country."

Several years ago, I belonged to a Dominican organization in Houston, TX. At one of our meetings leading up to the celebration of our independence, the group's leader spoke about "our greatness" and how much better and special we are, in comparison to non-Dominicans, much to the delight of the other members.

The contrarian in me could not believe what I was hearing, and I had to speak up. I quit a few days later.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And now comes this gem:

To be a Dominican is a privilege, and is the cause of envy by millions around the world. To be Dominican is a state of being, a joyful mood, in a very special country."

Several years ago, I belonged to a Dominican organization in Houston, TX. At one of our meetings leading up to the celebration of our independence, the group's leader spoke about "our greatness" and how much better and special we are, in comparison to non-Dominicans, much to the delight of the other members.

The contrarian in me could not believe what I was hearing, and I had to speak up. I quit a few days later.

On that point, is agree. I don't think any ethnic group has the right to voice that opinion. It sounds Hitler-esque to me 

Jul 16, 2017
I don't see the problem with feeling proud of a nationality?

Talking about greatness or superiority perhaps would trigger a flag but/and it all depends on the context anyways.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nice article Alter. I agree with you that if DR does not come to term with it's co-island inhabitants, Haitians, there will never reach the level of prosperity that they can. In Saint Maarten, which is way smaller than the DR, the island is half Dutch and half French. There is a border, but it's open and no restriction on anyone traveling anywhere. They are very prosperous.
Should I say the obvious?

I'll leave at this: they use the Euro as legal tender.

Jamaica is one unified island, so is Cuba, Saint Lucia, Dominica... Are they prosperous?

Puerto Rico is unified and prosperous.

The Phillipines is a bunch of unified islands. Prosperous?

But Hawaii is prosperous.

Sometimes I do wonder what some people are smoking. lol

suavena

Jan 27, 2009

Yes, open the border completely and the ship will finally sink since everybody will be on the east side of the island.

suavena

Jan 27, 2009
And now comes this gem:

Every people of every nation is special in their own way. Our little land is the place where the first university, church, city, etc. were built in the new world and still standing. All the big shot from Europe made their way to what is now DR including the remain of Christopher Columbus who still laid in our land who in life proclaimed that no other eyes had seen so much beauty when he laid his eye on Quisqueya la bella. We were abandoned and shunned for a few pesos that resulted in our people losing a third of the island suffering severe devastation and the end result 90,000 Dominicans with no standing Army won back our independence against 700,000 with a militia that once beat Napoleon's Army. We were decisiveness victorious in six more subsequent invasion by Haiti. That is special in every way. This is the land of the Merengue, tipico and Bachata. The person who invented the salsa music the legend, Johnny Pacheco is from my hometown of Santiago for crying out loud. Despite our calamities, we still have the second biggest ecosystem and the largest economy in the Caribbean and central America. We may not be the great American exceptionalism but we are special too in our own way. :)

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
OMG ExDR--You must also compare the economy of the Dutch or French sides of St Maarten to Haitian economy. An open border would be a disaster for the Dominican Republic

I am not advocating an open border, it's too late for that. Haiti has nothing to offer other than coconuts, but 50-years ago it might have made a difference before the country was robbed blind of it's resources and it's treasury. My point was that anytime something is going bad in the DR, there always the Haitians to blame when all they are pursuing is an opportunity to be able to feed their families. Perhaps some assistance in repairing their infrastructures and setting up duty free zones like those in the DR will do more to stop the flood of immigrants into the DR. Like it or not, at one time every one on the island was treated like a Haitian by the Europeans. They are their neighbors an d share a small rock in the middle of the Caribbean Sea.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Should I say the obvious?

I'll leave at this: they use the Euro as legal tender.

Jamaica is one unified island, so is Cuba, Saint Lucia, Dominica... Are they prosperous?

Puerto Rico is unified and prosperous.

The Phillipines is a bunch of unified islands. Prosperous?

But Hawaii is prosperous.

Sometimes I do wonder what some people are smoking. lol

I guess I was comparing apples to oranges. I was not trying to say that the island should unified, just that they should be treated as friendly neighbors. Realize the predicament that they find themselves and try to help not demonize.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
this whole article could be reduced to one sentence only: we cannot possibly be racists because we are 35% black and we do not want haitians here because something, something, history.

..If one reads history, and truly understands it to the best of your ability, you will know that history repeats itself..always.. remember that the USA in 1870 was offered samana, by the Dominican government to purchase as a navy base..then President Grant brought the bill before congress, and it was defeated....nobody mentioned the US marine intervention of 1965, by then President Johnson....the whole history of the island of Hispanola is very complex, not just the parts highlighted someplaces.....Doc......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I guess I was comparing apples to oranges. I was not trying to say that the island should unified, just that they should be treated as friendly neighbors. Realize the predicament that they find themselves and try to help not demonize.

Friendly neighbours should be treated as friendly neighbours

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
yeah but, yeah but, yeah but, when your friendly neighbors have a habit of a showing up just as dinner is served...

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

There is absolutely no comparison to the two islands. St. Maarten/Martin have stable well functioning governments and JOBS.