First time Permanent Residency

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
First off I want to offer apologies for not searching out an answer to my question as I am sure it has been covered before. However, I am just down from the mountains for the day to restock up on supplies and hope to get a quick reply before day's end. Current residency is up August 15th.

Question: What is the current process for getting your first time Permanent Residency ? I have heard that you can no longer get a four ( 4 ) year residency on the first go around ????

Note: I have had Temporary Residency for five ( 5 ) straight years. Tried to get the four ( 4 ) year Permanent last year but was told " law had changed " and I had to do a fifth year. Has the law CHANGED AGAIN ??

Off to Barahona to see if supplies ordered from SD weeks ago have actually showed up...this is the RD after all !!

take care you all...

Observation from the Frontier.

kFrancisco de Cabral

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I don't know about the extra year bit. I got my first "permanent" residency year after five years of temporary...first year then four renewals, but I hear I might have just barely made it under the wire. But I did get only ONE year of "permanent" residency and have to do the entire process again next spring (including the xray and blood/urine tests)! Stupid. Supposedly, I will get four years till renewal this time. Hope this helps! You can call Guzman's office and ask... Judy

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Thanks for the quick reply. This confirms what I have been told. I guess the medical folks want a " piece of the $$ pie " for two ( 2 ) years now. Still can not believe how hard they are making it for folks to become Permanent Residents...now it takes six ( 6 ) years and quite a few $$ to get just a four ( 4 ) year Permanent Residency. But it is to be expected and after over 20+ years in the RD I will continue to go with the flow.

Luckily I can always retreat back to my casita in the mountains. However, I see a trip of at least a day or two to SD for the medical x-ray and **** in the bottle results in my future.

take care ya all.

Mods...you can close this thread if you so desire.......

kFrancisco de Cabral
Observation from the Frontier

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Got tied up in Barahona so I will be off back into the mountains at sunrise tomorrow. I will leave the process up to the lawyer who has handled things in the past...that is what he is being paid for doing.

Was unable to contact him the other day for clarification so asked for DR1 help and got it quickly, thanks again. He finally got through to me just awhile ago and the One Year First Permanent Residency is indeed situation now.

So, I will only have time to get supplies back up to the casita and then it will be back to the house in Cabral to await the legal process to take place. Should be able to have things done before the current temporary residency expires on August 15th.

kfrancisco de Cabral

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Any idea or opinions on what is a fair charge for an attorney to assist. I hear so may different prices.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I was quoted 1,800 USA each for my husband and myself to do our first permanent after 5 years of temporary which we did ourselves. This was Guzmans firm who did our original application.  It will be done right but I believe the charge is at the top of the scale.