Surgery for first time here

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
So Tuesday I am having gallbladder removal surgery at Clínica Abreu due to me having issues the past year hère and in the states. I just want to know if I'm in good hands with them and everything will go smoothly since this is my first ever surgery in life.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In Santo Domingo, I'd only go there or Cedimat for surgery. I had my gall bladder removed with laparoscopic surgery, is that what they are doing for you?  

Best of luck

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
In Santo Domingo, I'd only go there or Cedimat for surgery. I had my gall bladder removed with laparoscopic surgery, is that what they are doing for you?  

Best of luck
Yes, also they basically wanted me to do an MRI today and I told them I had all the tests done in th
States and showed them the results. Problem was that all my tests came back normal except for the hida scan and for that they are removing it. I've had many opinions and it ends up the same about removing it saying I have a lazy gallbladder.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Suarez, I don't know your complete situation but my brother had his gallbladder removed and he had more problems after the surgery than before. Ask a lot of questions and make sure they tell you what you can expect during your recovery.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Did the scan show you had stones in the bile duct? Reason I am asking (and because I am up at this ungodly hour) is because I have problems with my gall bladder. Doctor is telling me that there are no stones in the bile duct (just some mild sludge in the gall bladder) so he feels we can treat this with some modifications in my diet. Me, well I am not so sure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have known a few people who had gall bladder removal , my mother was one.

No problems afterward...easy surgery, laparoscopic or otherwise.

My surgery here was 3 lymph node removals... well done in STI at Medica Union.

As anywhere, doing the homework to get a good surgeon is key

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Did the scan show you had stones in the bile duct? Reason I am asking (and because I am up at this ungodly hour) is because I have problems with my gall bladder. Doctor is telling me that there are no stones in the bile duct (just some mild sludge in the gall bladder) so he feels we can treat this with some modifications in my diet. Me, well I am not so sure.
Last year I started having pain that I was forced to come back to the US for treatment. I already had my ultrasound and x-ray here in the DR both normal. When I got back we did a scope and found a buildup of sludge like you, we then proceeded with HIDA scan that had a low ejection (less than 40%) this still wasn't evidence enough to take it out. In Oct 2016 I had a full on attack and they just gave me morphine and sent me on my way. I changed gastroligists and we did a MRI and colonoscopy because he felt it could be something different. Both came negative and basically told me that it is my gallbladder, that whatever is causing my pain will never show on a ultrasound. Like me you could have a lazy gallbladder experiencing pain with normal test results. Look up this term. Acalculous biliary pain

affald

May 17, 2004
Make sure you are also tested for h-pylori before the surgery. Could cause similar symptoms.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife had hers removed at Union Medica in Santiago. It is a fairly common operation in the DR, due in large part to the Dominican diet. She has had no side effects.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Note that men are much more likely to have far more severe post-op complications from gall bladder removal than women are, including some diseases.

I'd get numerous opinions before opting to have it removed (I assume you are male.)

I'd suggest a consult with Dr. Ruben Russell, head of GI @ PUCMM medical school. He's based at HOMS.