first time drivers licence

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The test itself is a cartoon like exercise....
Little action shots of right or wrong...in easy Spanish.

Certainly a trip to BanReservas to pay the fee in advance...receipts to the License Office.

I think the VIP treatment disappeared a while ago....fast track, no road test , etc

Don't surrender your foreign licence.....IMO

Try talking to them at Río San Juan....maybe it can be done there.
The mobile unit usually returns there end of every month.....now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not aware of any significant process changes in the past couple of years.

You must have a valid cedula
You will need to pay the taxes/fees @ Banreserva
You will need a DR good conduct report from the PN (pay @ banreserva, print out online)
You need to know your blood type - blood test available onsite
You will need to read an eye chart to see if you are legally blind
You will need to pass a ~25 question test on a computer. Watch a short video, answer yes/no/true/false type questions. (multiple choice)

If all of the above goes well, you are issued a learner's permit on the spot.

45 days later, you pay for a road test @ Banreserva
Go back to the testing place and choose to take your road test in an automatic or standard transmission car*
Take your road test
If you pass, you are issued a license on the spot.

* If you choose to take the test in an automatic, your license carries a restriction limiting you to drive only automatic transmission vehicles.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Easiest and quickest way is to go to a driving school and pay a fee. They will make sure you get a license and fast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, the escuela de chofers....a guaranteed short cut.

Pulvarik....try RSJ before anything else....
Saves trips to parts unknown...the mobile unit that services Nagua et al is based there

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SKY beat me to it.

Currently, dear the young Mrs HB is going through the process. Last week she got her learner's permit. At the medical/eye exam she was behind a guy that could not read the chart, not because he could not see it, but because he was illiterate!!

Mrs HB, a doctor, asked her colleague doing the exam, how he did it, and he said that he usually asks these persons to go learn to read before applying for a license. Sometimes he will use a chart with numbers.

Also, no need for blood test, your cédula has your blood type on it. Just make sure to show it to the examiners.

Driving school might run, here in Santiago, (Juan Carlos)about 7,000-8,000, but it is hassle-free and worth every penny.

HB

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for all replies.  I was asking on behalf of a friend,--I got my original 4 years ago so thought there might be some changes.  So far it looks the same but you get your own good conduct report and bring it with you.  
I recently renewed while passing thru Nagua, quick and easy (after paying at bank reserves of course).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
* If you choose to take the test in an automatic, your license carries a restriction limiting you to drive only automatic transmission vehicles.

When I took my test a year or so ago in Puerto Plata, to my surprise they had me take it in their own car, which was some little Korean automatic job. I told the guy I could drive a manual car so he gave me an unrestricted licence.

By the way, the best part of the day was getting stopped by AMET on the way home and proudly producing my new licence!

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Driving school seems to be the easiest way. That's what my wife did, a couple of lessons and she had her drivers license. She can't drive though, they didn't teach her how to drive backwards, how to park nor to use mirrors. I taught her more in 2 hours driving around Sosua Ocean Village than the driving school taught her. I'd still not like to see her drive in real traffic though...

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Also in the new law passed in January was a provision requiring two license plates (front and back). The law (which I read) actually said that they must be issued (two of them) and displayed. I'm sure the gov't is taking its time implementing that one since it would likely require everyone with a vehicle to obtain new plates!