Unattended beach gear

lasekeye

Jan 26, 2002
Hi , plannin our 1st trip to DR. What do all you seasoned travellers do with beach bags with cameras and stuff while playing in the water?? Usually we take our kids on vacation (so someone is always left with the towels and stuff) this time we will be on our own. Is is safe in Punta Cana to leave things while snorkeling?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would not leave cameras, wallets, etc., etc., unguarded while swimming, or at any other time. You are asking to have them stolen. I'm not just speaking of the beaches in the DR; I don't know a beach anywhere in the world where you would be guaranteed that your unguarded possessions would still by lying on the blanket when you return from the water. If you don't have someone who can watch your belongings (another guest on the same beach, for example), then chose between playing in the water together while they are stolen, or take turns swimming.

I can't believe that you'll find anyone on this forum that will assure you that your untended valuables will be ignored by potential thieves that frequent beaches looking for careless bathers.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know about Punta Cana, but i have spent about 70 - 80 days on the public Sosua Beach. I have always leftf my stuff unattendent at the beach, both when swimming, walking the beach and visiting the beach bars. I have never lost a peso.

jeanette

Feb 2, 2002
just be careful

Don't leave things out in the open. I am always careful and have never had a problem. I have heard it is bad in Hawaii. Tourists get ripped off there all the time. (not that it has anything to do with DR)

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
suggestion...

bring ziplock bags and bury your valuables under your beach towel...

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
Punta cana is 99.5% safe. i had leave my camera, wallet,etc while bathing, and never had any problem. there is not vendors or anybody who is not in the hotel around the beach chair area. the only chance that you have to be stole is by another tourist.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I use the DEFCON. It is both a cable lock and a motion detector.

Put a pad-lock on your beach bag and cable lock it to your beach chair or a tree. If moved or the cable is cut, it sets off a 110db alarm. See it at http://www.worldsecuritycorp.com/DEFCON_Brochure.htm.

I also use a pacsafe (http://www.pac-safe.com). I use this in combination with the DEFCON. Put your stuff in it, lock it to your beach chair, and you can doze off to your heart's content, even get up and play frisbee. That 110db alarm can be heard quite a ways away and nobody is going to be prepared for how hard it is to get that bag unattached from a beach chair. The bag itself can't be cut, as it is reinforced with steel mesh.

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
why you dont bring a couple of 250 pounds security men with you also.? to secure that you pi?a colada wont be stole.