Quit your job and live abroad. DR #3

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here's another one of these articles, this one breaks down living expenses.

Quit Your Job And Live Abroad: 8 Places So Cheap You Might Not Need To Work

Laura Begley Bloom

Have you ever fantasized about quitting your job and moving to a place where it’s so cheap that you barely need to work — if at all? “It’s a great idea, and it’s not that far-fetched,” says Kathleen Peddicord, who has turned this fantasy into a business. As founder of the company Live and Invest Overseas, Peddicord advises global nomads on where to move in order to live on the cheap.

A long-time global nomad herself, Peddicord is originally from Baltimore. She left the U.S. about 20 years ago for a job in Waterford, Ireland, then made a pitstop in Paris before setting her sights on Panama City, where she now lives with her husband and family.

Here, Peddicord shares her top picks to live around the world: eight places where expats can get by on next to nothing. “They’re beautiful, interesting, welcoming and adventure-rich places that are also single-friendly and uber-affordable,” she says.

A note: In each case, the budget referenced is a base amount that gives a snapshot of monthly living costs for a single person and includes the cost of renting a two-bedroom apartment in a neighborhood where an American would be comfortable living. You could reduce your total budget by renting a smaller place. Costs for groceries, transportation and entertainment are also per person; internet and cable are often bundled with a telephone plan. And in some destinations, items like electricity or heat are listed as free because they’re either included in the rent or unnecessary. These budgets do not include travel, clothes, health insurance and other costs.

Read on for Peddicord’s tips. And if you want more great affordable travel ideas.

http://www3.forbes.com/lifestyle/qu...ent=3&kwp_0=475235&kwp_4=1724977&kwp_1=738177

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, on her website, she increases it to $1,500. If she doubles that, she's probably closing in on a lifestyle that doesn't involve rice and beans every day.

Las Terrenas is one of my favorite places to visit, anywhere. If I were to relocate to DR, it would be at or near the top of a fairly short list of locales. It's more expensive than most of the usual DR spots, but absolutely amazing.

https://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com/country-hub/dominican-republic/las-terrenas/ 

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well, on her website, she increases it to $1,500. If she doubles that, she's probably closing in on a lifestyle that doesn't involve rice and beans every day.

Las Terrenas is one of my favorite places to visit, anywhere. If I were to relocate to DR, it would be at or near the top of a fairly short list of locales. It's more expensive than most of the usual DR spots, but absolutely amazing.

https://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com/country-hub/dominican-republic/las-terrenas/ 

I can't take that woman seriously.

One example: Transportation 1,375 For taxis and motos around town.

No one really take taxis around town but that s another subjet. Ok, a motoconcho is 50 during the day, so ida+vuelta would be 100 pesos. If you do that for 20 days, we are already at 2000 Pesos.

She estimate electricity at $60/month in LT :cry:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I se LT as one of the more expensive places to live in the DR.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I se LT as one of the more expensive places to live in the DR.

...only because you're absolutely right, lol.

Jarabacoa and the Cibao Valley have their charms, that's for sure. They are beautiful places, full of beautiful faces. The climate is far milder than on a beach, and the pricing is hard to beat. Plus, I hear there's a guy up there who knows a thing or two about motorcycles, lol.

That said, I'm a water guy. Seems the best of both worlds is living with an ocean view, but far enough up on a hill to catch some cross breezes. You get all of the view, only some of the AC bill, and just enough ocean salt to make life interesting, but not overbearing (in terms of watching your electronic and mechanical stuff rust out overnight). 

Of course, if you have property in some place like Orchid Bay, where you can easily generate decent cash for renting the place out, that's a little different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think yabadabadoo (RIP) lived on much less than that. and in LT area, if i am not mistaken. if you can call it a living, that is.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
i think yabadabadoo (RIP) lived on much less than that. and in LT area, if i am not mistaken. if you can call it a living, that is.

Yeah, but he was all about solar cookers, seaweed salad, liver and semolina sandwiches, and personal nuclear reactors. :paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

Absolutely entertaining person, but utterly unreliable information.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had forgotten him........hahaha

what a guy..... I bet he was close to living on what he said lived on

Glamorous... no

Wow he used to take a whipping here....
Solar toast.....that sort of thing
Who cares if it took 1 1/2 hrs for piece of toast....???

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, Medellin is very nice, but the topic here is about moving to DR.

Must admit, I've been thinking about it more and more over the past few years. My finances have gotten to the point where living there on my terms is feasible, and frankly I grow more tired with the winters every year. Even in Georgia, I find my mood drops along with the leaves in the fall. 

Don't know if living anywhere full time would suit me, but two to four months in DR and other spots would be just fine. I like LT because it seems a bit more cosmopolitan and less hyper-touristy than Punta Cana. It would be nice to (finally) get fluent in Espanol, and maybe take one of those on-the-beach bootcamp workouts I keep hearing about.

As far as getting homesick, it's nice to have a couple of airports that will take you wherever you wanna go. Besides, I imagine I'll find plenty of adventures to keep me busy for two or three months....

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
In the area of Poplado in Medellin there is almost no crime. There arent even bars on the windows on many residences.

The residences in Poblado are mostly gated communities and apartment buildings, so there isn't much in the burglary space. Street crime, however, thrives there, especially at night 2-3 blocks from Parque Lleras and Parque Poblado. You definitely have to keep your head on a swivel at night. During the day, not so much. Constant police presence along Av Poblado helps.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I went to Las Terrenas once, no good reason to go back again.

We went once too.....neither of us has any impulse to return. Seems we're in the minority though. :)

One of our nephews drives all the way from SD to LT on a fairly frequent basis - for what he says are the best ribs in DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We went once too.....neither of us has any impulse to return. Seems we're in the minority though. :)

One of our nephews drives all the way from SD to LT on a fairly frequent basis - for what he says are the best ribs in DR.
Where in LT?