orthopaedic doctor for shoulder

AnnieOz

Aug 5, 2017
looking for good orthopaedic doctor recommendation CMC OR puerto Plata or Santiago. Any recommendations?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
CMC does have a good ortho Doc. He did a 5 hour surgery on one of my workers legs last month and is back to work yesterday. Slight limp and light duty but is sooo much better. He had a metal rod from an accident years ago detach and internal infections so lots of drugs and pre-op care needed as well as several follow up visits. A little over DP $100K. I don't know his name but only 1 there I think.

Worth the time and expense for Xrays and consultation even if you decide on a second opinion/Doc.

The Clinic in POP would not do the surgery and told him to go to Santiago. Travel and the amount of visits, due to his infections, became a problem so that's why CMC became the better choice.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I was told that Dr. Reyes is not at CMC anymore. He is good. Maybe he is still there or maybe another. Don't know really.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I agree with Bob. 5 years ago I suffered a severe shoulder separation and went to CMC with trepidation. Dr Reyes was excellent and brought an anesthetist over from PP. When I got back to Canada I was examined by an ortho surgeon who was very impressed with his work. The icing on the cake came from the physiotherapist who I went to for rehab. who was very impressed with Dr Reyes. She went so far as to tell me he did a lot less damage putting the shoulder back in place than most of the local doctors work. Rehab was ahead of schedule and even at my age now I do not have any problems with that shoulder. If only the knees worked that well.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Just checked. As far as I know, Dr. Reyes is not at CMC anymore. I agree that he is excellent but don't know where he is now. Calling CMC might help?

Dr. Tavaris did the surgery at CMC last month. We made our worker get a note from him stating that he could come back to work. That way we made sure that our worker had another examination and that the infection was gone and he was good to go.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A word of caution: it depends on your shoulder problem. A simple dislocation is about the easiest shoulder surgery there is. The shoulder is the most complex joint in the body.

I have been diagnosed with a partial rotator cuff tear from an ungainly off on a motorcycle a couple of years ago. It hurts, but I have a high pain tolerance and thought it would get better. It hasn't, in fact, has gotten worse from swimming and weight lifting to the point I can't do either. MRI confirmed the bad news: it really needs to be surgically repaired.

But every doc, top-level folks with deep relationships to the Dominican medical community, say that of all the surgical skills in the DR, complex orthopedic surgery is very lacking. Not ONE would suggest a local "hombro" surgeon, Santiago, POP or Santo Domingo. In fact, one doc said he shattered his shoulder in a motorcycle crash, had it diagnosed locally, and went to Orlando for repair at the suggestion of colleagues.

The reason? There isn't that much shoulder surgery going on in the DR for surgeons to refine their skills, except for the most basic cases. The example I was given was the group who did his surgery does 40 shoulders a week, almost an assembly line. Contrast this number with shoulder surgeons in the DR who might perform 5 a month.

I was told that this group of shoulder surgeons in Orlando, led by a Dominican out of Florida Hospital, will accept MRI's and pre-op cardiology exams from the DR in advance, will schedule a surgery slot in advance with a pre-surgery exam the afternoon before, do an early morning surgery, keep the patient a day---if needed---in the hospital, and out the next day for travel back to the DR. The DR has plenty of rehab centers.

It's almost "reverse surgery tourism."

So if highly regarded local docs won't have their colleagues do shoulder surgery, perhaps one needs to think twice about it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Great info CB

Style and skill of the surgeon are critical in any surgery.
I just got a big lecture from my man in Canada on it....re lymph node removal.

He reiterated what you said... not all surgeons are created equal especially when dealing with specialties.

Go with the guy who does plenty of them.

For orthopedic stuff in the USA don't overlook Rich Hawkins..... formerly the MLB head man for shoulders.
Now in private practice in the Carolinas or Virginia 

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Oh god.....

I had Rotator cuff surgery......

Maybe......hmm.....6 years ago.....

Lost range of motion....lots of pain....

It was a complete tear...

Finally had to do it...

It sucked.....

But.....total sucess......feels incredible....

FULL range of motion back.....no pain...

Back to Planet Fitness......golf....etc...

Not done in DR though.....

Had it in Boston......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well AE...
The question was for a good surgeon.

The answer may be ....Not to be had in RD...
As it seems it is....after CB

Now What?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh god.....

I had Rotator cuff surgery......

Maybe......hmm.....6 years ago.....

Lost range of motion....lots of pain....

It was a complete tear...

Finally had to do it...

It sucked.....

But.....total sucess......feels incredible....

FULL range of motion back.....no pain...

Back to Planet Fitness......golf....etc...

Not done in DR though.....

Had it in Boston......
How long was the rehab?

May 5, 2007
A word of caution: it depends on your shoulder problem. A simple dislocation is about the easiest shoulder surgery there is. The shoulder is the most complex joint in the body.

I have been diagnosed with a partial rotator cuff tear from an ungainly off on a motorcycle a couple of years ago. It hurts, but I have a high pain tolerance and thought it would get better. It hasn't, in fact, has gotten worse from swimming and weight lifting to the point I can't do either. MRI confirmed the bad news: it really needs to be surgically repaired.

But every doc, top-level folks with deep relationships to the Dominican medical community, say that of all the surgical skills in the DR, complex orthopedic surgery is very lacking. Not ONE would suggest a local "hombro" surgeon, Santiago, POP or Santo Domingo. In fact, one doc said he shattered his shoulder in a motorcycle crash, had it diagnosed locally, and went to Orlando for repair at the suggestion of colleagues.

The reason? There isn't that much shoulder surgery going on in the DR for surgeons to refine their skills, except for the most basic cases. The example I was given was the group who did his surgery does 40 shoulders a week, almost an assembly line. Contrast this number with shoulder surgeons in the DR who might perform 5 a month.

I was told that this group of shoulder surgeons in Orlando, led by a Dominican out of Florida Hospital, will accept MRI's and pre-op cardiology exams from the DR in advance, will schedule a surgery slot in advance with a pre-surgery exam the afternoon before, do an early morning surgery, keep the patient a day---if needed---in the hospital, and out the next day for travel back to the DR. The DR has plenty of rehab centers.

It's almost "reverse surgery tourism."

So if highly regarded local docs won't have their colleagues do shoulder surgery, perhaps one needs to think twice about it.

Rehab from rotator cuff is just miserable no matter how good the surgery, but the less damage the surgeon does the quicker you will be on your way

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How long was the rehab?

I have had three shoulder operations, only one of them arthroscopic. My Putti-platt repair required 4 months of rehab, my labrum tear/rotator cup repair around three months, and my detacted biceps tendon about 6 months. Slings in all cases for about 6 weeks each.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
How long was the rehab?

3 months.....

3 times a week.....

Could vary.......with some people.....

The only advice I could give would be ......

Put everything you got into the rehab.....

It's crucial you strengthen that area.....

If you don't.......

Consider yourself handicapped forever.....

Mine didn't feel "right" for about a year....

No pain......

Just felt a little strange......maybe because it was so weak......

Feels incredible now......

I work at it......I do all the machines at Planet Fitness......3-4 times a week

So glad I did it......

Definitely worth it.......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Due to recurrent dislocations I had a putti platt on my left shoulder (4 months rehab) and a year later a Bristows procedure on right shoulder (splitting bicep into and putting metal screw in). That was much less painful and only 2 months rehab - in fact was playing pool with in after 2 weeks (while drunk).

Surgeon told me they would both last around 10-15 years. They have so far lasted 35 to 40 years and not a days trouble with either of them.Only issue was when shot and xrayed for the bullet, the ER thought the screw in right shoulder was also a bullet, along with the one in my back, and wanted to take it out lol.

Matilda

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I may have to shut down MotoCaribe for a year.

Naa...

You never know.....

You might be fine in 4 months.....

You should be......

May still be a little weak......

But should be strong enough for everyday stuff......

The moto-caribe stuff.......

I couldn't comment on......

I don't know how much stress and strength would be going on and needed.....??

But....if you do decide to do it.......

Good luck.....

You're only on this earth for so long.......

You may as well be comfortable while you're here.....