Customs found a new way to punish online buyers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
taxing shipped items under 200 dollars: a new attempt by aduanas

the subject was beaten to death time and again but aduanas do not give up. they are hatching another plan to classify shipments under 200 dollars as commercial imports.
https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...-por-internet-con-fines-comerciales-KL7841491

basically, the the idea is that commercial imports will follow certain classifications:
when items shipped are under 200 dollars but their volume suggest commercial use;
when type of merchandise imported, as well as the time that elapses between shipments leads aduana to determine it has a commercial purpose;
when individual items under 200 dollars are identical, similar or compliment each other in such way that the total value goes over 200 dollars;
when items shipped correspond with professional and commercial activity of the shipper.

in addition to that a person who ships within a year certain type of items of the total value over 2000 dollars would be considered commercial provider.

this comment under the article summed it up well:
No hay forma, en este pais cuando no te joden los politicos, lo hacen los militares, los industriales, los religiosos, los choferes, en fin cualquier hijo de p.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
These morons think they have a treasure trove if they can get to tax the under $200 imports. But the only thing they will do is put all the shipping companies and their workers out of business. The only reason people use this service is because there is no duty of any kind. Once that is gone, almost all of the packages will be gone also.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, even with taxes it is still cheaper than buying poor quality at ridiculous prices from the "abusadores' here. :D

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If this happens and the shipping Companies lose half their business overnight, they have an easy fix that has been always been their solution. They just double their fees to the 50% that remain customers!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Received this from CPS today.

Untitled.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If this happens and the shipping Companies lose half their business overnight, they have an easy fix that has been always been their solution. They just double their fees to the 50% that remain customers!

The way I read these shipments....they add the shipping charges to the value....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Giving me ideas

All these trips, flying from NYC with kids, with 2 suitcases instead of 3....Uhmm :rambo:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have accounts with EPS and CPS and both are filling my inbox with invitations to contact DGA and the Association for the courier companies to leave feedback. This proposed rule change has the companies worried. I certainly don't support the change as I send myself more than 20 shipments per year both under and over the additional $2000/year restriction.

I'm not sure how effective leaving comments opposing the changes will be, but I did my part to help.

Untitled.jpg

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Various accounts at Amazon sounds good, but I think one needs different accounts (casilleros) at the courier too to make it work...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Reading the article again it seems they'll start charging tax after reaching 20 orders / 2000 dollars for the next orders (of that fiscal year?) or is the last part wishful thinking ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I understand 20 orders or 2000 US total over a year. Mmh. Lets see if they can really do it.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
If there's resale, then it is commercial. I think they're going after folks bringing in stuff to reseller. I'm sure 10 pairs of Levi's is a bit suspicious. Probably abused by Dominican Americans. Imagine having a biz I in the states and competition bringing stuff in cheap and undercutting. Customs may have a legit reason, all corruption aside.

2 cents

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Various accounts at Amazon sounds good, but I think one needs different accounts (casilleros) at the courier too to make it work...

Since the courier accounts are free, if necessary I open an account for my wife. I don't order more than usd4000 online (probably not even 2000) and will just group my orders and not click order for any book or other item I want to buy to stay below 40.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I order well over that amount, so, even with a second one it would not be enough.

There is also the problem with Amazon that they send too many packages even when it is a single order and "group into as less packages as possible" is checked.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well if they define me as commercial or reseller I would like THEM to prove it. I am not.