No Publicos on Main Streets???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sounds too good to be true. Computer translation:

The National Institute of Traffic and Inland Transportation (INTRANT) is taking its steps to liberate the main avenues and main thoroughfares of the city of Santo Domingo from public cars and provide them with a mass transportation of passengers based on buses and minibuses, whose circulation will be Duly regulated.

The signaling was made with the executive director of Intrant, engineer Claudia Franchesca de los Santos, who said that public cars will circulate in outlying streets of the city.

The measure will be implemented prior to agreement with the carriers operating passenger transport routes that are already creating the carriers.

The official spoke during a visit to the director of El Nacional, Bolívar Díaz Gómez, and stated that the buses will be driven by people who do not pass the 65 years of age, to ensure the safety of passengers.

He said that the Intrant will pay special attention to the frequencies of the arrival of the buses to the stops, to avoid that the passengers have to wait a long time to approach.

The measure is part of the actions contemplated in Law 63-17, on Mobility, Land Transport, Traffic and Road Safety, promulgated in February this year.

"Intrant guarantees that the majority will be favored by this law," he said.
The official said that the law is to protect the population in a general sense and that President Danilo Medina has been clear in establishing that the goal is that all sectors benefit.

He pointed out that the dependency in charge is in conversation with all the sectors involved in giving back to the traffic transit system the efficiency, order and safety that it merits.

He clarified that the Intrant will not attack against the livelihood of the people who make a living in front of a flyer and assured that that body will not take their routes to anyone, but will regulate them.

"President Danilo Medina established that everyone who has his route remains with his right, that in no way he would submit to bid for routes that already had their owners or operators," he said.

In that regard, he indicated that he has held meetings with the leaders of the unions that operate the urban and interurban passenger transport, as well as the organizations that group the taxi drivers.

He said that the new law contemplates the "deschatarrización" of the public transport of passengers, in a city where 53 percent of the vehicular park has 23 years of use.

He indicated that it is a decision of the national authorities to remove from the streets the public vehicles that do not present any conditions to operate, due to the state of deterioration in which they are.

He stated that the organizations that operate passenger transport are aware of the scope of the new law and are taking internal measures to comply with it.

He highlighted among the scope of legislation, the completion of physical exams to all people interested in obtaining a driver's license.

They will be psychological examinations, sight, hearing, among others, that guarantee the good physical and mental state of the driver.

http://elnacional.com.do/liberaran-avenidas-de-carros-publicos/

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Oh great. Getting a driver's license will require a physical & a psych test. More cost, more hassle and more delay. I can hardly wait for when I have to submit a criminal record check from my home country as well...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh great. Getting a driver's license will require a physical & a psych test. More cost, more hassle and more delay. I can hardly wait for when I have to submit a criminal record check from my home country as well...

I think they mean a driver's license to drive the buses that will replace the publicos. You can probably breathe easy. :)

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
If this is in the case, I will say FINALLY. I hate these publicos, they are old, smelly and dangerous.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What percent of traffic are the Publicos? Can't be more than 5% can they?
If they were actually outlawed would one be able to see the difference in traffic?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
If they were actually outlawed would one be able to see the difference in traffic?

You bet.

I am surprised that you have to ask that with all your years in DR...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not only because carro públicos make traffic hell, you'll notice the difference, 5-10% is actually a significant difference in terms of fluency in traffic.

Next step is to declare Lincoln , churchill, tiradentes , máximo Gómez and nunez de Caceres mainstreets.

On a side note: I'm happy I'm leaving Las Praderas / Los Restauradores this month, with all the houses on la privada and guaraguya being replaced by 8 or 10 apartment buildings , traffic has become almost like piantini / naco. Off to Bella Vista for the remainder of our life in DR.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Not only because carro públicos make traffic hell, you'll notice the difference, 5-10% is actually a significant difference in terms of fluency in traffic.

Next step is to declare Lincoln , churchill, tiradentes , máximo Gómez and nunez de Caceres mainstreets.

I would ban them in entire downtown SD then the towns out of downtown to follow them the traffic will drop as much as 50% for sure.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would be nice if all vehicles have to meet minimum road worthiness standards. If inspected and found to be beyond repair, they should be taken off the road. This will get rid of a lot of the publicos at the same time.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

You bet.

I am surprised that you have to ask that with all your years in DR...

So what percentage of cars on the road do you believe they represent?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It would be nice if all vehicles have to meet minimum road worthiness standards. If inspected and found to be beyond repair, they should be taken off the road. This will get rid of a lot of the publicos at the same time.

They started replacing old ones for newer ones.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What makes you think they earn 500 pesos per day? 

I knew a couple of them on Ruta Munoz and that is what I was told. No real reason to believe what I was told, but seems about right to me, knowing what type of houses they lived in etc...

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
What makes you think they earn 500 pesos per day? 

They make more than 500 pesos per day. And frankly I don't think you can get rid of them. they are part of the fabric of the city. And they wont go w/o a damn nasty fight.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I knew a couple of them on Ruta Munoz and that is what I was told. No real reason to believe what I was told, but seems about right to me, knowing what type of houses they lived in etc...

I can imagine outside the capital it's different, but if a ride is 25 pesos and 6 people fit in a car they can easily collect 300 pesos each leg and probably more. I suspect they make easily 1500 pero day after paying gas and fees.