Cleaning up DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana is helping DR clean up.....

Computer translation:

Cervecería Nacional Dominicana delivers equipment for city councils to clean the streets

SANTO DOMINGO. The Dominican National Brewery delivered one million dollars in equipment for cleaning to the General Directorate of Special Programs of the Presidency within the Dominican Clean National Plan.

Jochy Perez, Government Affairs Manager of the Brewery, said the entire program covers US $ 6 million, and that on Friday delivered shovels, wheelbarrows, picks, garbage cans, T-shirts and other cleaning utensils that were already delivered to several municipalities such as Verón, Punta Cana and Jarabacoa.

According to Perez, the success of the program is assured and considered it as transcendental for the Dominican Republic.

Rómulo Vallejo, mayor of Verón, Punta Cana, said he received equipment and utensils that will be used within the Clean Dominican Plan that is carried out throughout the national territory, supported by businessmen and the government itself. Also, Carlos José Sánchez, Jarabacoa municipality, said he recently received equipment and bought trucks and other heavy equipment to clean Jarabacoa.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...-entrega-equipos-para-ayuntamientos-EX7880341

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida is deeply involved with this program here in Jarabacoa.

She even cuts out those plastic pour spouts from paper Rica OJ and cream containers.

In Santiago, there is a recycling outfit that gives a big bag of food (like the Christmas food baskets, rice, flour, chocolate, milk powder, etc.) for three big bags of plastic.

The powers that be are supposed to start recycling in our neighborhood and ask that plastics, papers and garbage be separated, and promise to deliver recycling containers.

The local mayor bought four yuge garbage trucks for the city, and new earth moving equipment for the landfill.

Hope springs eternal.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Today walking down the street bordering the beautiful beach in Juan Dolio I see a local guy fling his carton of lard and plastic soda bottle on the side walk. Need to clean up the mentality of a million other locals doing the same daily.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Today walking down the street bordering the beautiful beach in Juan Dolio I see a local guy fling his carton of lard and plastic soda bottle on the side walk. Need to clean up the mentality of a million other locals doing the same daily.
I remember Lady Bird Johnson's "Beautify America" program, the little trash bags hung on the vet window crans, etc.

It took 10 years to get Americans to refrain from throwing trash out of the window. Today, most couldn't any more throw trash out of the window if they were paid.

It takes a while, but first comes the education of the youngest kids. THEY will correct their parents and older siblings.

Gotta start somewhere...

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

what did you say to him?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
More than once a Dominican got in my car and started throwing trash out the window. I kept it in a bag hanging on the passenger door, and it must have impinged on their personal space. I always said Pass it into theback seat lot of room there. but most didn't undestand that.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Reminds me of the time I was in another tropical island paradise riding an express bus and a local guy in front of me flings his lunch trash including a large glass bottle, out the bus window. I stood up and in bad spanish started telling him how he was turning his beautiful country into a trash pile. He pulled out his machete...wasn't expecting that one, I said.. olvidarlo.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Yes some define, "I love me Country" as throwing waste on the streets. This chronic disease some refer to as DF-Itis or DFI for short. Sadly affects a very large portion of the population here. Dont make me tell you what DFI means.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Reminds me of the time I was in another tropical island paradise riding an express bus and a local guy in front of me flings his lunch trash including a large glass bottle, out the bus window. I stood up and in bad spanish started telling him how he was turning his beautiful country into a trash pile. He pulled out his machete...wasn't expecting that one, I said.. olvidarlo.

Maybe a machete chop of the hand should be the penalty.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
I remember Lady Bird Johnson's "Beautify America" program, the little trash bags hung on the vet window crans, etc.

It took 10 years to get Americans to refrain from throwing trash out of the window. Today, most couldn't any more throw trash out of the window if they were paid.

It takes a while, but first comes the education of the youngest kids. THEY will correct their parents and older siblings.

Gotta start somewhere...

Agreed!

Hopefully they do implement this program they were talking about earlier in the year...

Learning how to classify garbage in school

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/162512-DR1-Daily-News-Wednesday-12-July-2017

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Today traveling home from the capital some lowlife uneducated threw a whole bag of trash right out of his car window like nothing i pull up next to him and just looked at him he looked at me like he did nothing wrong.... whats sad is he had young kids in the car .... so i get this is the pass it on affect of no respect for your country or yourself or teaching your children.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am a firm believer in recycling. Especially the PET (Plastic water bottles). I work with businesses in both Europe and Canada who recycle PET into structural construction panels. In Barbados they recycle PET into roofing slates...looks like real slate.

Other Caricom countries are interested in Advanced Composite Housing units.... We have one in DR.
But I am not looking for business... just want to cheer the Government and Education system to trudge on with their vision of a clean RD.
I like the food for plastic... tremendous initiative..... Russell

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You don't go to a foreign country and tell people what to do in their own country, they have to figure it out themselves.