Santo Domingo's New Malecon

How do you rate the design and details of the new malecon?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The first phase of the remodeling of the malecon (avenida George Washington) were concluded roughly three days ago. The remodeling includes the replacement of the pink sidewalk with a modern sleek and modern looking white/gray-ish sidewalk with interesting post-modern design. It 'opens' the views of the Caribbean Sea. It also includes new light fixtures.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 = horrible and 5 = excellent, rate the new design of Santo Domingo's malecon.

The following two videos show snapshots of the part already remodeled.

[video=youtube;aQL_YBl3dt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQL_YBl3dt4[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This video is of the inauguration of the first phase of the project. The guy in the image before starting the video is the mayor David Collado. Within the video are snapshots here and there of the inaugurated parts.

[video=youtube;ueYqimCBjKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYqimCBjKY[/video]

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The pavement looks just fine to me but making something of the boulevard would mean rearranging traffic and probably think about places across the street to eat or drink something. 

It's still not a place I'd go with the children for the traffic , including heavy trucks, racing a few inches from the pavement.

However I was sceptical about the ZC as well 5 years ago and that actually worked out quite well. 

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
To make Malecon look nice, they need to remove all Dominicans from it LOL!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This is, as the OP mentions, the first phase and phases two and three are perhaps the sections that are the more frequently visited parts of the Malecon. Second phase being from Maximo Gomez to Obelisco Macho at start of Billini and due for completion in October, and then to Monumento de Fray Anton de Montesinos which is probably the section most tourists recognise and due for completion next February.

I vote the improvement to the first section, which was previously quite run down, as excellent and in much use today as my post elsewhere.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Mauricio ,you obviously do not live in ZC ..the use of the grants to renovate ZC have been a near total disaster..the road works in front of historic Hotel Frances led to the front wall totally collapsing into the road and everyone was telling the council to block the water pipes that made the road a bog . Ave Mella has a sink hole in it that has not been fixed for three years and the oerhead wires that just get more gross every week The ridiculous aluminium posts that block parking have been bent over as trucks hit them ..Only two or three streets were given new paving and everyone wants to know where the money went to ..Not in 90% of the streets , not in Conde , not in putting wires underground and not in parking buildings . The project was a rip off and total corruption .

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Mauricio ,you obviously do not live in ZC ..the use of the grants to renovate ZC have been a near total disaster..the road works in front of historic Hotel Frances led to the front wall totally collapsing into the road and everyone was telling the council to block the water pipes that made the road a bog . Ave Mella has a sink hole in it that has not been fixed for three years and the oerhead wires that just get more gross every week The ridiculous aluminium posts that block parking have been bent over as trucks hit them ..Only two or three streets were given new paving and everyone wants to know where the money went to ..Not in 90% of the streets , not in Conde , not in putting wires underground and not in parking buildings .
 The project was a rip off and total corruption .

There was another 100 million granted this year, right? Lets see where that money goes

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Correct , I don't live in ZC but would in past times not even think about visiting on a Saturday or even for dinner. Now we do enjoy an occasional Saturday afternoon walk on el Conde or plaza España and much more often choose a ZC restaurant for dinner than we used to. 

For those living in ZC I don't doubt you're word on it, it has been and is a disaster. And I don't doubt much money was stolen like during all big projects in DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is a good improvement. Years ago one could spend a enjoyable day/evening walking on Malecon. Would be nice to get some of that back.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
The first phase of the remodeling of the malecon (avenida George Washington) were concluded roughly three days ago. The remodeling includes the replacement of the pink sidewalk with a modern sleek and modern looking white/gray-ish sidewalk with interesting post-modern design. It 'opens' the views of the Caribbean Sea. It also includes new light fixtures.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 = horrible and 5 = excellent, rate the new design of Santo Domingo's malecon.

The following two videos show snapshots of the part already remodeled.

[video=youtube;aQL_YBl3dt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQL_YBl3dt4[/video]

Sorry but if truth be told, dominicans cannot put together anything of beauty?  Santo Domingo might be the ugliest capital city in the world.  There is just no sense of what lovely and beauty is and this malecon thus far loud and bold and unappealing. I don't know what the badic proboem is but Bigger is Not always better.  The spelling of Malecon? What is that about?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think it is an improvement so far .....the malecon could be a beautifull walk .....but something has to be done about all the garbage that is dumped on it .....maybe this mayor will turn out to be ok

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Good idea but more than one pedestrian bridge is needed with security 24 hours. There needs to be continued maintenance for ever.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Hello NALs, thanks for the post. Is there anyway to get in contact with you? For some reason, I cannot send PM msgs :(

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Good idea but more than one pedestrian bridge is needed with security 24 hours. There needs to be continued maintenance for ever.

I haven't been in that area yet but did they install a pedestrian bridge over avenida george washington?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Malecon_A.jpg

Malecon_B.jpg

Photos courtesy of Urbanópolis.