"american" refrigerators

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
has anybody had any experience with refrigerators made by "American" are they any good?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I saw a lot of "American" brand appliances at Radiocentro in Santo Domingo, I wondered the same thing about the quality.

Jan 9, 2004
To my knowledge, no top freezer or side by side refrigerators are Made In USA.

However, some French door bottom freezers and some conventional bottom freezers are still Made in the USA.

Note that a "Frigidaire" refrigerator sold there, may not be of the same quality as the ones sold in the US...country of origin notwithstanding.

Many white goods (stoves, refrigerators etc.) made expressly for third world markets are not of the same quality as their cousins sold in the US. It has to do with thickness of metal, quality of compressors etc. They may look the same.....but they are not.

Many Dominicans import their appliances directly from the US for those reasons.

Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To my knowledge, no top freezer or side by side refrigerators are Made In America.

However, some french door bottom freezers and some conventional bottom freezers are however.

Note that a "Frigidaire" refrigerator sold there, may not be of the same quality as the ones sold in the US...country of origin notwithstanding.

Many white goods (stoves, refrigerators etc.) made expressly for third world markets are not of the same quality as their cousins sold in the US. It has to do with thickness of metal, quality of compressors etc. They may look the same.....but they are not.

Many Dominicans import their appliances directly from the US for those reasons.

Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Playa, "American" is a brand, not made in America.

Here's one store who sells them: http://radiocentro.com.do/

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
I know they are probably not made in America I was just wondering about the reliability of the make not the origin

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
I,m sorry but I could care less if they were made in Tijuana . I was asking about how good they were . not where they were made!!!

Jan 7, 2016
Modern appliances sold in the U.S. rarely have U.S. sourced-parts in them. GE refrigerators have LG compressors made in Korea and Samsung have LG compressors made in Vietnam. We live in an international environment and have to accept that what we perceive is not exactly what we will get....:(

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I,m sorry but I could care less if they were made in Tijuana . I was asking about how good they were . not where they were made!!!

Sorry, while you did bring up the subject, clearly "we" are more interested in discussing where things are made. Good thing you didn't pay a lot to ask the question. Maybe next time, ask where the appliance is made and maybe we'll decide to talk about its quality. You never know.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
It’s my understanding that LG appliances are built to withstand the power fluctuations in 3rd world countries. I have a number of their products and haven’t had problems, even though CDE has blown-up many of my neighbor’s electronics because of power surges.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Look for one with a built in inverter. It will save the compressor with the power fluctuations here. Panasonic makes a good one