SOLAR ECLIPSE on MONDAY

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Will we see a partial eclipse on the North Coast this Monday afternoon?

I heard parts of the Eastern Seaboard will see the 'show' at around 3pm.

Any info please?

J&T

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We'll see about 3/4 of the sun blocked out at around 2:45 pm I believe. Lots of websites to get the specifics but I think I read from start to finish is around 3 hrs and 2:45 is the halfway point. I may or may not have converted the times if I was looking at a website that was using daylight savings time. Either way, You'll see it start and you'll see it get darker then start to get lighter.

Don't look at the sun. :)

Yep I'm wrong with the time. Here is the correct info.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/dominican-republic/santo-domingo?iso=20170821

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here is a cool JPL app that shows the eclipse path for any spot you choose on the planet.

NASA's Eyes: The Path of the Eclipse App

I put in Jarabacoa. Seems the moon with start across the sun around 2pm, the 75% apex is at 3:28pm, and it's gone by 5pm.

Should be interesting. But 25% sun is more like dusk, followed by a sunrise.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks for the info, Guys!

CDN_GRINGO - If your good lady any yourself would like to watch the "show" from here, (providing we're over the flu) you'll be more than welcome.

Jan 7, 2016
Presently at my U.S. home near Nashville, TN on the border with Kentucky...supposedly a prime viewing area for the TOTAL eclipse. Have my "eclipse glasses" ready and waiting for the big moment. Apparently there are 200,000 additional bodies in this town for the viewing of the event...traffic won't even move a centimeter!

May 5, 2007
Remember when one of the "approved" methods of viewing an eclipse was the use of exposed photographic film (At least that is what I recall our family using and I still have 20/20 vision) Not a word about it these days and a supposed shortage of the crazy cardboard "3-D Movie" glasses Of course it could be that there is little if no photo film around, a money making opportunity for the ambitious person that has access to old film stockpiles?

May 5, 2007
Presently at my U.S. home near Nashville, TN on the border with Kentucky...supposedly a prime viewing area for the TOTAL eclipse. Have my "eclipse glasses" ready and waiting for the big moment. Apparently there are 200,000 additional bodies in this town for the viewing of the event...traffic won't even move a centimeter!

Lucky you, not :-(

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Remember when one of the "approved" methods of viewing an eclipse was the use of exposed photographic film (At least that is what I recall our family using and I still have 20/20 vision) Not a word about it these days and a supposed shortage of the crazy cardboard "3-D Movie" glasses Of course it could be that there is little if no photo film around, a money making opportunity for the ambitious person that has access to old film stockpiles?
As a kid I recall making pin hole projectors out of shoe boxes to view the sun. I'm sure an eclipse would show well.

I may do it again.

Something like this:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
J&T , Abuela, et al,
Times for POP for the Eclipse on Monday 21st :
Start Time 13:59
Maximum 15:25 76%
Finish Time 16:40

HTH

Olly

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Prime viewing area... until at the last moment a cloud decides to ruin the party. lol

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Prime viewing area... until at the last moment a cloud decides to ruin the party. lol
Here in Jarabacoa, the forecast is for partly cloudy with a 47% chance of rain at 2pm, decreasing to 28% by 5pm.

Prolly not going to be great eclipse watching weather...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The last full eclipse in UK it was full only in Penzance in the very south west of the UK. I was working for an Investment Bank and took a group of journalists on the Orient Express to Penzance - 7 hours. We got there, stood on the beach in the rain, couldn't see a thing, it went dark and went back to London on the same train lol.
Could be the same tomorrow.

Matilda

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Easiest low tech way is to watch it's reflection in a bowl or bucket of water.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm an eclipse dodger. The 1999 eclipse happened several days after I moved to the DR and the 2017 eclipse is happening a week after I came to Europe on vacation. I'm told I watched one in the UK in the mid-1960s but I have no memory of it.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I am in Myrtle Beach at the moment and we will be getting 99% eclipse here. We have our ISO approved glasses and will spending the day at the beach.